WineBoard
Holiday wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (http://wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Holiday wines (/thread-22968.html)

Holiday wines - VillagesBob - 08-07-2014 03:22 PM

For a crowd of 50 at a holiday party, I need suggestions for two sparklers, 2 whites, 3 reds, $18-$30 price range. Must be readily available at retail stores in California. Many thanks.

RE: Holiday wines - Innkeeper - 08-08-2014 08:46 AM

Hi Bob, and welcome to the wine board. For 50 people you will need at least two bottles of each of the wines you are looking for. Fortunately for you, you have a much better selection of wines there than we do here in New Hampshire. Pick out a reliable retailer and tell them to help you select a white and a rose' sparkler from California, a Chardonnay (preferably with low or no oak) and a slightly off dry Riesling, and a Zinfandel, a Merlot, and a Cabernet Sauvignon all from California. You should find all these in your price range without any problem.

Remember you will two bottles of each wine.

RE: Holiday wines - winoweenie - 08-09-2014 07:49 AM

Outstanding advice. WW

RE: Holiday wines - Jackie - 08-12-2014 01:42 PM

Where do you plan to buy this wine? Maybe we can give you a few more pointers.

RE: Holiday wines - VillagesBob - 08-12-2014 04:10 PM

I can buy at BevMo, Trader Joe, K&L Liquors, The Wine Club, Whole Foods, specialty grocery stores--I have a lot of options here in San Jose or as far north as San Francisco.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

RE: Holiday wines - Jackie - 08-15-2014 09:02 AM

(08-12-2014 04:10 PM)VillagesBob Wrote:  I can buy at BevMo, Trader Joe, K&L Liquors, The Wine Club, Whole Foods, specialty grocery stores--I have a lot of options here in San Jose or as far north as San Francisco.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Okay. That's great. I know all these. I live in the Bay Area too. I'll get back to you.

RE: Holiday wines - Jackie - 08-15-2014 09:06 AM

(08-12-2014 04:10 PM)VillagesBob Wrote:  I can buy at BevMo, Trader Joe, K&L Liquors, The Wine Club, Whole Foods, specialty grocery stores--I have a lot of options here in San Jose or as far north as San Francisco.

Okay. That's great. I know all these. I live in the Bay Area too. I'll get back to you.

I should ask if you have a menu or hors d'oeuvres planned yet?

[/quote]