WineBoard
Goat Meat, recommended wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Goat Meat, recommended wine (/thread-22900.html)

Pages: 1 2

Goat Meat, recommended wine - Winefinder - 04-13-2014

Hi all,

It's been a long time since posting on here. Many years ago I was a moderator. Today I'm lucky to be here at all with all the issues I've been hassling with. However, here I am, still lovin' wine and wondering does anyone on this board have experience with goat meat? I absolutely loves the flavor and with what is happening with beef and pork prices goat it is.

Last month I was lucky enough to judge at Jerry Mead's New World International Wine competition with chef Holly Peterson of the CIA (Culinary Institute of American) and in talking with her she suggested marinating goat meat in milk (goat?) six to eight hours before cooking for "fall off the bone" tender. Any other comments in that regard. It's good to be back. Winefinder a.k.a. j.w.

I forgot to mention, I have a small herd of those critters since moving to the land of AZ from SoNapaNoma Counties. It's been 15 years ago. Ouch.

I know all you people used to cook. How about today? Still?

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - winoweenie - 04-15-2014

Welcome back WF. Hope the future's a little smoother than the past. Looking forward to your posts. WW ( IK Was slightly off, I be only 88)

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Winefinder - 04-15-2014

[quote='winoweenie' pid='106077' dateline='1397565270']
Welcome back WF. Hope the future's a little smoother than the past. Looking forward to your posts. WW ( IK Was slightly off, I be only 88)
[/quote]

Hi V.
Arizona is proving to be an interesting place. It's good to hear from you. I post more else on the board. WF

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Innkeeper - 04-15-2014

Any wine that would go with lamb would also go with goat. Thinking Syrah or blends thereof. Most of the goat I've had has been Caballero, so consumed it with Mexican Beer. Welcome back. I'm hoping Arizona is big enough for both of you.

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Winefinder - 04-15-2014

[quote='Innkeeper' pid='106080' dateline='1397603406']
Any wine that would go with lamb would also go with goat. Thinking Syrah or blends thereof. Most of the goat I've had has been Caballero, so consumed it with Mexican Beer. Welcome back. I'm hoping Arizona is big enough for both of you.
[/quote]
I've been drinking correctly then. Thanks for confirmation. Don't know how WW feels but I'm pleased to be in the same state. Did I read somewhere that you're in London?

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Innkeeper - 04-16-2014

[/quote]Did I read somewhere that you're in London?[/quote]

Not quite; we live in the woods in Middleton, NH.

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Janet Willson - 06-09-2014

Ah! Great topic, I have seen this post and have a question, any side effect of goat meat with wine?

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Innkeeper - 06-10-2014

The only side effect I know of is satisfaction!

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - winoweenie - 06-10-2014

Occasionally I've been known to butt my CB in the stomach after a tad too much vino. WW

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Janet Willson - 06-11-2014

Yes..

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Jackie - 06-12-2014

[quote='Janet Willson' pid='106283' dateline='1402481111']
Yes..
[/quote]
These guys are big jokers. What possible side effect could there be? People all over the world eat goat and drink wine, and have for centuries.

Where do you live? Does your country have goats?

I have to wonder.

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Dentrassi - 07-05-2014

I think it really depends on how one cooks the goat. Usually being more of a stewing meat I would lean toward less tannic reds with lots of flavour, a nicely chilled Saumur Champigny or Morgon would match very well in certain dishes, perhaps a Brouilly if it was on the peppery side. I'm not sure all the classic lamb wines would work so well. If one was to curry it Caribbean style, then something like the Tiefenbrunner or Nussbaumer Gewurztraminer from Tramin would match very well or any slightly off dry, aromatic white. Maybe a Virginian Viognier even, I would lean towards high acidity due to the high fat content of the meat and then balance out the added flavours, only pulling out the big guns (Rioja's, Rhones, Claret's) if it was well seasoned and simply prepared.

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - winoweenie - 07-06-2014

GREAT GOLLY MOLLY!!!! FINALLY A NEWBIE THAT'S FIRST POST CONTAINS A PASSELL OF KNOWLRDGE. .....Let me be the 1st to offer you a hearty welcome. WW

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Winefinder - 07-06-2014

[quote='Dentrassi' pid='106390' dateline='1404602568']
I think it really depends on how one cooks the goat. Usually being more of a stewing meat I would lean toward less tannic reds with lots of flavour, a nicely chilled Saumur Champigny or Morgon would match very well in certain dishes, perhaps a Brouilly if it was on the peppery side. I'm not sure all the classic lamb wines would work so well. If one was to curry it Caribbean style, then something like the Tiefenbrunner or Nussbaumer Gewurztraminer from Tramin would match very well or any slightly off dry, aromatic white. Maybe a Virginian Viognier even, I would lean towards high acidity due to the high fat content of the meat and then balance out the added flavours, only pulling out the big guns (Rioja's, Rhones, Claret's) if it was well seasoned and simply prepared.
[/quote]

Dentrassi, thank you. Some great suggestions here. We eat a lot of goat, frequently stewed in cast iron but we also broil, fry and BBQ. Even curry. Personal experiences and suggestion are most welcome. Trying these wines will be an experience. Again thanks.

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Dentrassi - 07-06-2014

[quote='Winefinder' pid='106396' dateline='1404662053']
[/quote]

Dentrassi, thank you. Some great suggestions here. We eat a lot of goat, frequently stewed in cast iron but we also broil, fry and BBQ. Even curry. Personal experiences and suggestion are most welcome. Trying these wines will be an experience. Again thanks.
[/quote]

You are most welcome,
I remember at one restaurant I worked at we served a kid breast dish which I used to recommend either an Alsatian Riesling or a wonderful Californian Albarino I can't remember the producer but it had the most delicate orange blossom aromas and a rapier like acidity that just cut through the dish like a scalpel.
I applaud your choice of meat, I love a bit of goat and think it is great to deviate from the supermarket choices of steroid pumped beef and pork. Happy matching wine to your dishes and remember safe matches are just that for true inspiration experiment.

[quote='winoweenie' pid='106395' dateline='1404657406']
GREAT GOLLY MOLLY!!!! FINALLY A NEWBIE THAT'S FIRST POST CONTAINS A PASSELL OF KNOWLRDGE. .....Let me be the 1st to offer you a hearty welcome. WW
[/quote]
Hi WW,

Thank you for your welcome I was a little tipsy last night(sampling a nice Salice Salentino with my pizza), browsing and felt like offering my tupence worth of opinion on the subject.
Hope to have some interesting discourse with the likes of yourself in the future.

D

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oo, oo, oo.

Just remembered the Breaux Nebbilolo, very reasonable Virginian Neb, tried the 2005 and that with an ossobuco style goat dish would in my opinion be heavenly.

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - Winefinder - 07-06-2014

[quote='Dentrassi' pid='106399' dateline='1404682883']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oo, oo, oo.

Just remembered the Breaux Nebbiolo, very reasonable Virginian Neb, tried the 2005 and that with an ossobuco style goat dish would in my opinion be heavenly.
[/quote]
Herbs and spices I can get and the goats we raise but a Virginny Breaux Neb in the land of AZ, probably not. WW, your thoughts?

[quote='Winefinder' pid='106400' dateline='1404685005']
[quote='Dentrassi' pid='106399' dateline='1404682883']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oo, oo, oo.

Just remembered the Breaux Nebbiolo, very reasonable Virginian Neb, tried the 2005 and that with an ossobuco style goat dish would in my opinion be heavenly.
[/quote]
Herbs and spices I can get and the goats we raise but a Virginny Breaux Neb in the land of AZ, probably not. WW, your thoughts?
[/quote]

Seriously,

If I can find a Virginny Neb in North London, surely you can mail order. Did you see my earlier post about the Cali Albarino? There is much out there, experiment, take notes and enjoy the journey.

RE: Goat Meat, recommended wine - winoweenie - 07-07-2014

You're in No. London? I take it you're in the hospitality biz. Where are you from originally? Not you WF...I know where you live and how to get there. (hehehe). WW