WineBoard
KC have you ever had....John Hall's Forty Creek stuff - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Scotch and Single Malts (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: KC have you ever had....John Hall's Forty Creek stuff (/thread-22439.html)

KC have you ever had....John Hall's Forty Creek stuff - TheEngineer - 12-05-2012

If not, I'll bring in a bottle of their confederate wood for you. With Canada being a bit colder, the oak grows a bit slower and therefore tighter. He's done interesting runs with some of these old woods some being from around the time of confederation.

RE: KC have you ever had....John Hall's Forty Creek stuff - Kcwhippet - 12-06-2012

Heard of it, but never seen nor tasted. Tight grained oak sounds interesting. Wonder if any research has been done on evaporation rate vs regular oak. It might mean that a cask of 40 yo Scotch could have more volume thus more available bottles.

RE: KC have you ever had....John Hall's Forty Creek stuff - TheEngineer - 12-06-2012

hmm...sounds like a good idea Smile more 40 y.o.'s. But the thing that is not making me happy lately is the incredible increase in price. I know inherently that scotch which needs many years shcould cost more then Vodka, but man,..$179 for Mac 18??? and now Port Ellen at $1000 for the special release.......come on..... Picked up three Glenfiddich 125 anniverary release special edition (No age statement...so guessing 8-12) and they were 70GBP or $120 a bottle...come on..for at most a 12 year old. I mean it tasted great but not $120 great.....then again I can't get Mac 18 for $100 any more......

RE: KC have you ever had....John Hall's Forty Creek stuff - Kcwhippet - 12-06-2012

No more $100 Mac, but we have it for $169.

No more $100 Mac, but we have it for $169. We also got some Signatory 1998 Mortlach 13 yo - only $60 (887 btls made). Mortlach is virtually impossible to get in a distillery edition, since almost all their production goes into JW Black.

RE: KC have you ever had....John Hall's Forty Creek stuff - Kcwhippet - 12-10-2012

Well, I've now had the 40 Creek. Opened it yesterday with my son and SIL. Really, really nice stuff! Not sure what the mashbill is, but it's quite smooth, has the nice sweetness of corn up front and finishes with some rye spiciness. Thanks, Mike!!! Now I have to find how to get more.

RE: KC have you ever had....John Hall's Forty Creek stuff - TheEngineer - 12-10-2012

Glad you liked it. I thought it was pretty good as well. Wine Bible guy was very high on it, more so than me but he loves his Canadian whisky.

BTW, that was the first batch, an edition of something like 16,000 bottles so its long gone. I had to fight for some last time I was up in Toronto.... What is on the shelf now is the second edition and aparently its pretty much the same so good!