WineBoard
1980 wine recommendations... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 1980 wine recommendations... (/thread-22172.html)

- andrawes76 - 02-21-2012

I have a client who is interested in some 1980 birth year wine. As far as I know it wasn't a spectacular year for anyone, but since Im only 35, I could use advice as to some direction here. Finding the wine will be another obstacle, but knowing what to look for would be a great start... any recommendations?

Thanks, AA

- hotwine - 02-22-2012

I bought a 1980 Ch. Lafite Rothschild in Wiesbaden about 1984 for $54 (still have the bottle with the price tag on it) that was excellent when we drank it with steaks in about 1990 - in spite of our poor storage conditions back then. Personally, I'd stick with Bordeaux (and left bank at that) as a group most likely to still have life. Sure, there are others with good staying power.... but not a whole bunch IMO.

- Kcwhippet - 02-22-2012

I'm thinking a very well stored Napa Cab might be better than a Bordeaux from that vintage. Weener - your thoughts.

- hotwine - 02-22-2012

The foggy memory is clearing somewhat... bought that wine at Hainerberg shopping center in Wiesbaden; that's why it had U.S. prices. And bought it in '85, not '84, 'cause the '82 had been recently released and could have had it at the same price.

Maybe Sauternes.... recall 1980 was pretty good for those.

One factor in your client's favor: prices for European wines from that vintage might be favorable due to being completely over-shadowed by the '82.

- Georgie - 02-23-2012

;-) I hate anyone who is too young to remember 1980...just sayin'.

- Innkeeper - 02-24-2012

As always whether going backward or forward, Port is a good answer.

- Thomas - 02-24-2012

Wish I was alive in 1980, but I did hear something about Sauternes being a good vintage--maybe I read it somewhere...

- winoweenie - 02-25-2012

Crapsies-dapsie thomasso you'll probably be writing reviews in 2080. Talk to youse this week-end. WW

- Kcwhippet - 02-25-2012

Thomas - Well 1980 was 32 years ago. Is this the same Thomas I met a few years ago???

- hotwine - 02-25-2012

Went back through the old cellar books looking for notes on 1980 wines..... found a Ch. d'Yquem I bought for my mom in '88 for the princely sum of $42 but there's nothing in the form of a TN.....she probably drank it with her little old blue-haired lady friends. Yquem was her all-time favorite juice.

- Thomas - 02-25-2012

Hotwine,

She probably also ate Ritz crackers and Kraft cheese-like spread with it Wink

KC,

The same Thomas. A few years ago I decided that with each birthday I would subtract a year. It's a nice gimmick, if only the color of what's left of my hair would cooperate, not to mention my bones.

- hotwine - 02-25-2012

Have no idea what she ate with it Thomas.... never witnessed the consumption. Dad would order it for them by the glass when they celebrated their anniversaries at the Fig Tree on the SA River Walk.

- 777Prodigy - 06-24-2012

I don't really know much about wines but just to drink.

Regarding 1980 wines - I found some list over the net, now how Do I choose the best one to buy? I am going to create a mini bar of sorts at home, and I need to pick the wines from the year I was born.

- Innkeeper - 06-24-2012

As I mentioned in a post above, if you are going to shoot in the dark, the easist pick is Port. A quick check will inform you whether the year of choice is a "Vintage Year." If it isn't, a thirty year old non vintage Port will probably not be very good.

As far as other wines are concerned there are some that will age that long including some from Bordeaux, Napa Valley Cabs, Brunellos, and Barolos can do it, but you have to very carefully research vintages and producers.

- winoweenie - 06-24-2012

80 'twernt regarded too well in Napa. I second the Port recs and the Bordeaux stuff is mostly long gone by now. Maybe the Barolos IK mentioned are okie-dokie. 32 yeay-old juice is dicey except in stellar years. I'd also buy some premium Single-Malts. WW (You sure picked a crappy year for your birthing. 2 years earlier or later and Look-Out-Nellie)