WineBoard
birthday dinner - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: birthday dinner (/thread-220.html)

- Carolyn - 04-26-2001

My husband's birthday is this weekend and he has requested a specific meal - salmon club sandwiches. The salmon is marinated in lemon, olive oil, and chopped fresh basil prior to grilling. I would love some suggestions for reasonably priced wine(s) to pair with it. Suggestions for both red and white would be great. Thanks for your help.

- Innkeeper - 04-26-2001

Salmon likes to go with a light red, and lemon requires acidity. Joseph Drouhin's LaForet Pinot Noir would be my choice. Any of the Cru Beaujolais such as Morgon or Julienas would also work. For the white, the need for acidity is also there. Would go to the Alsace for either a riesling or a gewurztraminer.

- Tilak - 04-28-2001

Carolyn, Pinot Noir was my reflexive response and then I recalled a varietal by the name of 'Baco Noir' that I came across in Canada. If my memory serves correctly, Pelham Estate in the Okanagen Valley makes a good and reasonably priced example. The delicate oils of the salmon alongside the generous greenery of the cilantro would be cut and complemented well by the fine tannins and earth/mushroom notes of either of these reds. For white i'm thinking of an unwooded chardonnay or perhaps a fume blanc...Best wishes to you and your husband.

- Drew - 04-30-2001

Try a '97 Handley Pinot Noir...yummy.

Drew

- Carolyn - 05-03-2001

Thanks for all the help. I meant to reply earlier, however I ended up having to head out of town unexpectedly. Our dinner was nice. I happened to have a cru Beaujolais on hand (Fleurie) which I bought the last time I was out shopping and it paired nicely. I will have to try the other suggestions next time (as I mentioned, this is one of my husband's favorite meals).

- mrdutton - 05-03-2001

As an aside, it is nice to see someone here from Delaware.

Although my posted information says that I am from Virginia Beach, VA; I was born and raised in Newark.

Are you a native or an import?

Anyway, welcome to the wine board. Would you post your recipe for the salmon? I am a great lover of anything from the sea. Tuna and Salmon along with Flounder, Oysters, Blue Crabs and Scallops are on the top of my hit list......

Spider sandwhiches are right around the corner! (Spiders? Oh, those are soft-shell crabs.)

- Carolyn - 05-04-2001

I am an import...we moved here for my husband's job about a year ago. We're both from NY - I'm from upstate and he's from LI.

I would be happy to post the receipe, except that it is at home and I am at work. I'll post it later tonight or this weekend. I don't know the exact ingredient proportions off the top of my head.

- winoweenie - 05-04-2001

There be a Newark Delaware? ;l.i.b. WW

- Carolyn - 05-04-2001

Yes, there is a Newark, DE. Pronounced New-Ark as in Noah's, not like Newark, NJ. :-)

Here is the recipe for the Salmon Club Sandwiches. I got the recipe from a relatively (w/in the last year or so) recent issue of Bon Appetit magazine. A great meal. We have this often.

6 T. mayonnaise
5 T. minced fresh basil
1 t. grated lemon peel

3 T. olive oil
1 T. fresh lemon juice
4 5-6 oz. skinless salmon fillets (3/4 in. thick)

8 bacon slices
1 small red onion, sliced

8 1/2 in. thick sourdough bread slices
8 tomato slices
8 lettuce leaves

Mix mayo, 2 T. basil and lemon peel in small bowl to blend. Can be made 1 day in advance. Cover and chill.

Mix remaining 3T. basil, olive oil, and lemon juice in large glass baking dish. Add salmon to oil mixture; turn to coat. Cover; chill 1-4 hours.

Cook bacon in large skillet over med-high heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add onion to drippings in skillet. Saute until onion is tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.

Prepare grill (med-high heat). Grill fish until just opaque in center, about 3 mintutes per side. Grill bread just until golden, about 2 minutes per side.

Spread mayo over 1 side of bread slices. Top each of 4 bread slices with 2 bacon strips, 2 tomato slices, 1/4 of onion, 1 salmon fillet, and 2 lettuce leaves. Cover with remaining bread slices.

Serves 4.

- mrdutton - 05-05-2001

I gotta go get some salmon! Thanks for the recipe!

- IrishMum - 05-05-2001

Carolyn, this sounds wonderful! I have a feeling that my husband would love it as well! Thank you for sharing...

IrishMum

- chittychattykathy - 05-07-2001

Bought a smaller, 14 pound, King (troll caught in Alaska) yesterday and have a fair amount left, even after we made salmon cakes today. I'll be certain to give your sandwich a try tomorrow. Thanks!