WineBoard
2010 Taylor Fladgate 20 y/o Tawny - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Port/Other Fortifieds/Stickies (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: 2010 Taylor Fladgate 20 y/o Tawny (/thread-21869.html)

- hotwine - 08-26-2011

Have been without a Port in the house for too long and snagged this while browsing Costco's adjacent liquor store. Had to sample last night while watching HGTV's "House-hunters International", which has become our fav TV show and the only one we record.

"Tawny" it is indeed, a rich golden amber in the shot glass, with a nose of .... raisins? Nope. Dates? That's it.... dates allowed to sit in an oak barrel for 20 years. Lip-smacking but never cloying, nice finish but not intrusive, fades gently on the palate. "Why the stupid grin on your face?" she asked, to which I only grinned more broadly. About $41 (hack, cough) and the usual 20% alc/vol, worth every penny.

- hotwine - 12-08-2011

Sometimes I do something REALLY dumb. A week ago I "loaned" this bottle to a good friend who had never tasted vintage port (there was probably 3/4 left)...... and sure enough, now it's gone forever. Dummydummydummydummy!

- TheEngineer - 12-08-2011

Smile LOL!

- wonders - 02-26-2012

I just enjoyed Sunday brunch at Hilltop House after church. This is an old home that has been converted to a restaurant with several small dining rooms. I ate in the yellow room or sun room which is brightly lit by all the windows. It used to be owned and operated by a Greek-American but is now owned by a family with roots in India (but does not provide cuisine of India.) The Sunday brunch is buffet style. My favorite dishes were the pecan French toast and shrimp and grits I had a glass of Four Vines "Naked" (unoaked) Chardonnay which went nicely with the shrimp and grits and the macaroni and cheese. After eating I ordered--TAYLOR FLADGATE 20-YEAR OLD TAWNY PORT ($15 for the tasting.) In the past I have preferred Niepoort, Cockburn and Symington Ports but this was really special! I am probably going to purchase a bottle (at $49.99) the next time I go to Raleigh (mid-March.) My description: Deep amber color. More nuts than prunes on the nose. Viscous. Some dried apricot, prune and nuts on the flavors. Finish carries a lifted note. Starts out "saturated" and ends "light on its feet." Wood or barrel influences are harmonious with the fruit. Warming but not burning with the alcohol. Quite mellow. I had it after I finished eating but it would have been a good match to creme brulee, pecan pie, or even the pecan French toast that was offered at the brunch. After reading Hotwine's note I agree that dates were also present--perhaps more so than dried apricot or prune,

- hotwine - 02-27-2012

Creme brulee', now THAT would be a match for the port!

- Thomas - 02-27-2012

Nice descriptions of the Taylor Fladgate, and glad to hear, Jane, that you are a Niepoort lover, which is at the top of my list of Port houses.

Pecan French toast sounds even better than creme brulee, possibly because I have never come across the former. But I may be in North Carolina in late April, and I shall be on the lookout for it. Will you be anywhere near Greenville then?

- TheEngineer - 03-13-2012

HW, we watch HH International too!!! We are planning for one day a bit of in the future when we might want to retire in a few places Smile