WineBoard
cresta blanca - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Collectibles/Auction News (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: cresta blanca (/thread-2174.html)

- firedad01 - 08-29-2006

i have a bottle dated at 1905 Claret "SUPERIOR" this bottle was bottled in Livermore,CALIFORNIA there is two gold seals on this bottle with a date of 1889 on it also it also has the name CRESTA BLANCA with a patent date of Oct 23, 1906 am curious if worth anything or should we drink it also believe to have orignal cork in it too

- wondersofwine - 08-29-2006

I'm sorry to tell you that it's probably way, way past its drinkability age.

- firedad01 - 08-29-2006

thankyou for the reply i'm sure it is but if it is not worth anything then i may open it to investigate if you know what i mean thankyou for the reply

- Kcwhippet - 08-29-2006

Firedad, The full bottle would be worth much more to a collector of very old wine bottles than an empty one. You might try selling it on eBay. A little history here. Cresta Blanca was founded in 1881 by Charles Wetmore (I lived near Wetmore Rd. in Livermore). The 1889 date signifies the year a Cresta Blanca wine won a gold medal in a French wine competition - long before the Paris event in 1976 (?) when other CA wines made a spectacular showing against the best of French wines. The winery was closed in 1965, then bought by Wente Vineyards in 1981. They have since completely restored the facility and the caves and made them into the Wente Vineyards Event Center with a spectacular restaurant and a concert facility. Keep the bottle as it is because there's a lot of wonderful history behind it.

- firedad01 - 08-29-2006

yes i checked the many pages of the history at ruby hill very interesting and many many pages and yes the bottle is full and has never been open very big and very interesting history and it does have on the label that it was a gold medal winner with dates starting in 1889 to 1905 where it ended in 1905 at the exposition in portland thankyou for your reply and maybe we will put it on ebay after hopefully i might find out what it might be worth

- winoweenie - 08-30-2006

Hi FireD and welcome to the board. The only value as KC has pointed out is the curiosity quotient as the wine has long-since passed into vinegar heaven. E-Bay is the spot. I'm amazed at the prices that are realized on some of the stuff put on there. Good Luck. WW

- Kcwhippet - 08-30-2006

firedad, Ruby Hill and Cresta Blanca were in different areas of Livermore. Ruby Hill was/is on Vineyard Road on the west side and Cresta Blanca was on Arroyo Road in the southeast. The Ruby Hill vineyards have been brought back from total oblivion. When I lived out there, they were weed fields with stumps of old vines sticking up. Now the area has a subdivision of huge, very expensive homes, a Jack Nicklaus designed golf course and newly planted vineyards. The old winery building has been duplicated near the old foundation, and a new winery is in place. As I mentioned above, the old Cresta Blanca property is now part of the Wente holdings.

- firedad01 - 08-30-2006

ok thanks for the response