WineBoard
Update on the quest for a storage solution - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Storage/Cellars/Racking (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Update on the quest for a storage solution (/thread-21691.html)

Pages: 1 2

- hotwine - 06-15-2002

Aieeee! #$%$#!@! In digging a shallow trench in which to lay the new service line from the house to the shop (will go from there to the cellar), I cut the ##$% telephone lines. Not once, but twice! Was digging by hand with a grubbing hoe, and couldn't see the black phone line laying only two inches below the surface in black soil, until I saw bright shiney copper glaring back at me. So we're without phone service until sometime Monday. On the bright side, we won't be hearing from any telemarketers for a couple of days.

- winoweenie - 06-15-2002

Shucks! Jes' when I wanted to call and bid you adieu 'afore I left. WW

- hotwine - 06-16-2002

Cell phones have sure come in handy the past 30 hours or so. At least, the cellar is staying cool - thermostat is set on 57 and it's holding at 59, so will probably bump it down a notch or two tomorrow.

- hotwine - 06-17-2002

Phone service is restored. Over a distance of only 120 feet, I had managed to make no fewer than three cuts through it. Geez.

- winoweenie - 06-17-2002

As pappy used to say, " Any job worth doing is worth doing right " WW

- winedope1 - 06-17-2002

das' absolutely right. How come I'm fetchin' my own wines??

- hotwine - 06-22-2002

Update: A contractor for the phone company showed up a couple of days ago and cut a trench about 12" deep for the spliced phone line, into which I have now also placed the conduit for upgraded electrical service to the outbuildings, including the cellar, so that whole process is going well. But yesterday, after spending over an hour in the cellar (freezing my nummies off!) re-installing the racks, I came out covered in grey-green powdery mold, which has thrived in there, due to the high humidity - 90% or higher. It's now down to the target range of 68-70%, but the mold is still all over everything. I'm thinking of spraying a bleach and water solution throughout as a way to control it. Any opinions on that, or alternatives?

- Innkeeper - 06-22-2002

Are the wine bottles in there yet? If not, a heavy spraying of Lysol should do the trick.

- hotwine - 06-22-2002

Yup, there's about 100 bottles still in there, all covered with mold. Some are cooked and some are still drinkable, and quite a few now are without labels. To spray with Lysol, I would take them all outside and wipe them down with a mild bleach solution, hit the racks with the Lysol, then return the bottles to the racks after everthing is dry. Would need to protect the bottles while outside, though; maybe if I use all of the icechests normally used to transport BEEF from the ranch, there will be enough insulated storage. We're already in the mid to upper 90's here, so can't leave 'em outside for long.

- hotwine - 07-16-2002

Another little update: the cellar's working out very well, with the Trenton Refrigeration TLP41 cooling unit chuggin' along fantastic-mous. It comes on for four minutes, then cuts off for five, and with the thermostat set on 55 degrees, it's holding 59, with 66% humidity. I'm gradually tackling the residual mold problem by wiping off bottles and bins, and giving old bottles away by the handful - a couple of cases so far, with maybe 7-8 cases to go. Feedback from recipients indicates about 20% have been cooked. At least, the stuff that was in there was for the most part El Cheapo Plonque-O table juice, so it's no great loss. <BR> There's probably another puddle on the cellar floor this morning from leakage around the doors, after another 3" of rain fell yesterday morning. That's an excuse to visit to enjoy a blast of cold air....

- hotwine - 07-16-2002

Another 0.6" in 15 minutes this morning, and no puddle in the cellar. It must have come down so fast that it blew right past the outer door....