WineBoard
Sam's Club selling wine caves - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Storage/Cellars/Racking (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: Sam's Club selling wine caves (/thread-21673.html)

- winecollector - 10-30-2000

Just thought I'd give some of you guys a heads up on this one. The local Sam's Club in PA just got in a shipment of small wine caves for storing your higher-end wines. They hold 30 bottles, and are selling for $299. I don't know if they are available at other clubs across the country, but it wouldn't hurt to check. <P>All you guys (and gals) living in apartments or have smaller collections, this may be the answer to your storage problems.

- mrdutton - 10-30-2000

I'll pay a visit to the local Sam's Club TODAY!

- barnesy - 10-30-2000

I wish I had a sam's club here. Thats a great price for that size. I wonder if this wine cave is being brought into stock to hold Walmart made wine.<P>Barnesy

- mrdutton - 10-30-2000

What kinda wine does walmart make? Or am I just confused?

- barnesy - 10-30-2000

Walmart, in general, has a small selection of general wines. Much like a basic supermarket. However, Walmart will be releasing its own label of wine. I was attempting to make a funny, figuring you guys would have heard about their release. Don't think they have done it yet, but it is coming.<P>Barnesy

- hotwine - 10-31-2000

I read somewhere last week that Gallo is providing the wines for WalMart's label.

- hotwine - 11-03-2000

WC, I brought home one of these little wine caves today. As you indicated, Sam's Club had 'em for $299. Thanks for the tip. <BR>Our "ready reds" now have a home, just as our "ready whites" reside (temporarily, en route to consumption) in the daughter's former dorm fridge.

- hotwine - 11-03-2000

A few details about the wine cabinet, or "cave", available from Sam's:<BR>Dimensions: 20"W X 21"D X 37"H.<BR>The front is of convex smoked glass, with locking door. Construction appears to be of mellamine, and is all black, with a digital temperature display along the upper front edge.<BR>Shelving consists of six chrome-plated wire sliding shelves.<BR>Manufacturer is HEC Corp. of China.<BR>Temperature is adjustable from 45-65 degrees F, or may be controlled by "white wine" and "red wine" push-buttons. The white wine button sets the temp range between 45 and 50 deg F, while the red wine button sets the temp between 55 and 60 deg F. The operating instructions say that if both whites & reds are to be kept in the cabinet, the temp should be set to 50 degrees; the whites should then be placed on the bottom shelves, where the temp will be closer to 45 degrees, and the reds should be placed on the upper shelves, where the temp will be about 55 degrees. There is no humidity control. <P>This is a low-end, entry-level type unit, but is quite attractive, and certainly the price is right. It happens to be just what I was looking for, to supplement my storm/wine cellar that's about 100 feet behind the house. So thanks again to WC for the heads-up.<BR>

- winecollector - 11-03-2000

Glad to be of assistance. Always on the lookout for wine stuff, whether I need it or not. Still, looked attractive and well made to me too. <P>I'm currently putting a new wine cellar in a house I just bought two months ago. Until then, I've got somewhere around 30 cases of wine I can't access that are stacked in my basement shower stall that goes out under the ground beyond the foundation of the house. My kitchen is also all tore-up too, awaiting a new floor and new cabnets. Go ahead and guess- which part of the house am I going to worry about first?

- winecollector - 11-03-2000

Just another thought- <P>You know, if one of Bucko's neighbors would have been willing to sell on his street.... I wouldn't have to be running to the store every single time I wanted a TASTE OF WINE!!!

- hotwine - 11-06-2000

An additional note regarding the HEC wine cabinet from Sam's: just checked the humidity (which is not controlled by the unit) and it's showing 74%; not bad.

- hotwine - 11-08-2000

Have now had this unit in operation for about five days. With the temperature set at 52 degrees, it's holding that, within a range of +/- 2 degrees, as measured by a separate thermometer. And humidity is stable at 64%.

- hotwine - 03-21-2001

Dredged this thread up from last summer to add an update: While visiting Sam's yesterday, noticed that the HEC unit that had been priced at $299.99 is now $249.99. Mine is still working just fine.

- thewoodman - 03-21-2001

That's a great price as this seems to be the same as the Haier model I bought recently for $345, but have seen as high as 399.

- winoweenie - 03-22-2001

The lil' masked, smiley-faced price bandit don' struck agin. WW

- Blue - 03-22-2001

The Sam's club web-site has a wine cave advertised for under $200...but I don't think its the same one, its called the Avanti Wine Cooler. Anyone bought this one? Anything wrong with it? Seems like a great deal!<P>http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?n=0&oidPath=0%3a-14522%3a-14528%3a252794&coe=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_0088482862.0985288685_CS_&BV_EngineID=dhalkhdjjmkfbejfcfkjcfnodlk.0