WineBoard
2006 Tommasi Poggio Al Tufo - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: 2006 Tommasi Poggio Al Tufo (/thread-21538.html)

- andrawes76 - 06-02-2011

Levi Garrett tobacco, cigar box, smokey dark cherry. Amarone in flavor, sweeter tannins. Good for someone who wants to get into Italian wine. Low acid, so this is a wine that is a young drinker, but certainly tannic like Brunello. Velvet tannins make this a crowd pleaser. EDITED

- Innkeeper - 06-02-2011

Are you sure this was a Vermentino? Vermentino is a white wine. This one sounds like a red.

- TheEngineer - 06-03-2011

Maybe you meant Veneto, Some of Tommasi's home vineyards are in the Veneto.

- winoweenie - 06-03-2011

OK guys done' be mean. He was in the rite country NO???? WW

- Thomas - 06-03-2011

That particular wine is a Super Tuscan from Maremma (IGT), and it definitely is red.

- andrawes76 - 06-03-2011

Wow, WW, Did I win you back on my fighting side? IK, you are absolutely correct. It was not a vermentino... my bad, it was definitely not a Super Tuscan either. Checking to see what it was, and will report that soon.

- winoweenie - 06-03-2011

This is just a note for potential posters on this board. Guesses and close enough for horeshoes will only get you battered on this forum. Nothing viral, jes' a small "tsk!tsk! that be wrong". And in case you didn't know, noone is sacrosant as andrawes76 be the big man on the board. WW

- andrawes76 - 06-03-2011

A small note. If someone gets something wrong on this Board, in particular a newbie, we should welcome them AND encourage their participation. Any legit question other than "hey I am selling this or representing this" should be handled with respect and benefit of the doubt given to the newbie. Yes I own customized wine retail establishment, and I purposely got out of retail wine sales on WINES.com because its a conflict of interest for me to build a community and for me to sell wine on this site. This site is as much yours as it is mine (that's how I feel about it) and its my goal to get dozens of people to participate with the original crew (you guys/gals) as moderators. We all have different opinions and different levels of knowledge of wine. We just need to keep that in mind when we reply. <br>
<br>
And I still need a freakin' decoder ring for WW's posts. They seriously take me 5-10 minutes to decipher which cuts into my tasting time... :-)

- Kcwhippet - 06-03-2011

Now you've done it, Alex. You've admitted that WW rattles you. Well, guess what he's going to do next. He's going to keep it up. The poor old guy has nothing left to occupy his time (CB notwithstanding).

- Thomas - 06-04-2011

Alex, What do you mean by "it was definitely not a Super Tuscan"? Tommasi Poggio Al Tufo is a Tuscan from Maremma made from a blend of Sangiovese and non-traditional Tuscan grapes. Are you saying that you identified the wrong wine in your tasting note?

- winoweenie - 06-04-2011

The only time I can bemember going into histronics on a newbie whenced the idiot came on board ranting about how dumb every answer he saw was and how he'd forgotten more about wine than the whole board combined. The other time was when a hacker from the Aussie area sent Hotwine aand I virus because we made a small correction on his post. I finally tracked the sucker down and had me son-in-law put the mother of all virus' on his machine, 'haint heerd frum that dude since. While I pull the regulars leg every now and then I'd never insult someone getting into wine. If I know the answer they're seeking I tell them Iff'n I don't I try to direct him/her to someone who does. Now get back to the business at hand and identify the wine you had whose name I can't pronounce. WW ( By the way I reaally like some of that tufo if it's prepared properly)

- wondersofwine - 06-07-2011

Semantically it is a "Super Tuscan" if it doesn't have the traditional grapes for Tuscany. However is Maremma part of Tuscany? If it is not, then just go with IGT. "Super" connotates expensive and sublime so the name doesn't seem to fit with more ordinary, inexpensive wines that are non-traditional in the blend.

- Thomas - 06-07-2011

WOW, I believe that Sassicaia, Ornellaia, and Tignanello come from Maremma.

Maremma is located in part in Tuscany and in part in Lazio.

- wondersofwine - 06-07-2011

Thomas, you know Italian geography much better than I do.

- TheEngineer - 06-12-2011

Just wait till I try to explain wines from China and the Old world authentic Chinese Terrior............ Smile Gonna love to see the responses on those Smile Those Super Chinan wines with the indigenous Cabernet Premiemous Chinoise Primus varietal......... especially those from Lafite...pure grafts from Roman times Smile

- winoweenie - 06-12-2011

I really understand grafts from Roman times. Was indicted 3 times but they couldn't prove a thing. WW :-R :lol: