WineBoard
HELP! Sweet Dessert Wine? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: HELP! Sweet Dessert Wine? (/thread-21528.html)

- beggersgame - 05-30-2011

Hi;
I am looking for a really sweet dessert wine. I have NO idea what to purchase. I know this type of wine is frequently served for communion in many churches. Thanks for your help and ideas!

- Thomas - 05-30-2011

You can't get much help without offering at least two more drips of information:

how much money do you want to spend, and what's the purpose for the wine.

- Innkeeper - 05-30-2011

Hi Beggersgame, and welcome to the Wine Board. For a red look for a Port. For a white look for a Sherry. Both range in price from $5 to much, much more. Take your pick.

- TheEngineer - 05-30-2011

There are many styles of icewiens and many price points as Thomas has noted.
If you want to spend between $5 and $20 then what IK said goes very very well.

For the $35 to $100 there are a lot of choice
If you are looking for a fresher style of sweet wine, then Icewines from Canada are the way to go. Pricey though at about $60 a half bottle, If you want cheaper, say around $30, then ask for something called late harvest.
You can also do French Sauternes and the go for about $25 to $75 per half bottle as well depending on the producers and vintages
The loire makes great sweet wines.

- andrawes76 - 05-31-2011

Welcome to the Board Beggersgame, Might I recommend a Tokaji or Sauternes. There are some lesser expensive ones in the $20-40 range. I believe there are some ice wine out there in the $20-30 range or you can go for a tawny port (Six grapes) that is sub $20. Go to the search bar and type in "ice wine" or "port" then sort the price low to high...

- andrawes76 - 05-31-2011

Here you go pal... http://www.wines.com/wines/graham-six-grapes-port-2007-2 (good start)

- Thomas - 05-31-2011

You see guys, without more information you are shooting all over the place with different types of sweet wine and fortified wine, and with a range of prices that can only confuse a novice.

Beggarsgame, give us a little more to go and you will get almost pinpoint accuracy in a response.

Alex, please get the techie to allow us to separate paragraphs--it has to be among the basic things that a design should encompass--no?

- Kcwhippet - 05-31-2011

Second that, Thomas!!! Most of my posts have multiple paragraphs, but this app seems to delete linefeeds (carriage return or enter for you, Verne). Believe me (and Thomas), Alex, we really do mean to break our posts into separate paragraphs. Generally, it means that we want to start a new thought,

- andrawes76 - 06-01-2011

KC, I will have paragraphs fixed ASAP. I will give you guys a timeline on that fix...shouldbt be hard.

- Thomas - 06-01-2011

Alex,

being a writer sometimes makes me a pain in the ass, too: about writing, that is.

- Kcwhippet - 06-02-2011

I've done quite a bit of writing myself, but I'd wager none of you have seen any of it. Mine has been of the technical nature, mostly for users of Cad/Cam systems and software developers of same. Incredibly boring!! Fortunately that was in a previous life --- long ago and far away. I've since come back from the dark side. Love Thomas' work, BTW.

- pepntaz@sbcglobal.net - 06-12-2011

Wow!! Thanks so much! It looks like I came to the correct place :-P I am probably looking around the $20-30 bottle so I think I have some ideas!

- TheEngineer - 06-12-2011

Definitely come back and let us know what your experience was!

Mike

- winoweenie - 06-12-2011

Looks like we gots 2 fer the price of one on this thread!!! WW

- george101 - 06-15-2011

hello,

i am looking for something like a ruby port but not fortified, does such a thing exist?

ruby port tastes just about perfect to me but it is too strong.

- Kcwhippet - 06-16-2011

The reason ruby port tastes the way it does is basically because brandy is added to the fermenting wine while there is still some sugar left. There is an Italian wine called Adesso from Canigna Romana. It's nice soft red wine with some residual sugar made without added brandy, and it does taste a bit like port.