WineBoard
Going with a few guys to napa - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Going with a few guys to napa (/thread-21159.html)

- TheEngineer - 03-12-2008

I have the happy chance to go back to the Fairer coast and will have a full day in napa. One of the guys wants to go to eh Del dotto Winery for tasting (I've never been there)...and I was looking to see if there were any wineries that you would recommend other than...(sorry for the long note.....just trying to make sure that I've got my basis covered...I'm looking forward to this day off. (Ch Montelena, Twomey, Silver Rose, Story Book Mountain, Pride Mountain, Charbay, Terra Valentine, Keenan, Ceja, Freemark Abbey, Duckhorn, Markham, Flora Springs, Merryvale, Louis Martini, Heitz, V. Sattui, GrGrich Hills, Mondavi, Charles Krug, Peju, , Cakebread, Turnbull, Opus One, Cardinal, Domaine Chandon, Trefehen, Ladera, Viader, Phelps, Quintessa, Mumm NV, ZD, Miner, Chappellett, Shafer, STag's Leap, Astrale, Silver Oak, Groth, Chimney Rock, Rocca, Clos du Val, White Rock, Darioush, Andretti, Luna, Napa Valley wine co, ).

I was thinking about Schramsberg, Far Niente, Rubicon, Signorello.... Is this a good list or is there others that are must sees?

I'm on my way first thing tomorrow. Many thanks in advance.

- winoweenie - 03-12-2008

Looks like a 2 week trip to moi'. Have fun. WW

- wondersofwine - 03-12-2008

I haven't visited Napa for a number of years but would vote for Rubicon based on the sampling Gene provided in the Finger Lakes.

- Kcwhippet - 03-12-2008

Mike,

When are you going?? Steve (from the shop) will be in Napa next Tues and Wed and he just said you could hook up with him if you want. I believe he'll be staying at Terra Valentine. If you can get into the shop tonight or tomorrow, maybe you guys can hook up.

- TheEngineer - 03-12-2008

I love Terra Valentine! Ask Steve to say hi to Sam Baxter for me. I'm actually in Berkeley tonight and will be heading up tomorrow.

Has anyone heard to Del dotto's is worthwhile?

- dananne - 03-12-2008

Based on our experiences last August, we'd have to recommend August Briggs (nice whole lineup, but it's worth a visit just to taste the Charbono). We also liked the old-style, rustic, field blend wines at Casa Nuestra, which is a smaller, more quiet stop, but a refreshing change-of-pace from the huge, well-financed, packed places that are more the norm. Of the two, however, we liked August Briggs better from top to bottom; if you go, also try the Pinot Meunier.

Have fun! Sounds like a great trip -- we're jealous (and expecting a detailed report)!

- Kcwhippet - 03-13-2008

I've heard the tour of the Del Dotto caves is quite an experience. However, to take the tour and taste, they hit you with a $40 fee. Just to taste is $20. They also have library wines for sale, not just from them but also from wineries in France, Australia and Italy. They have some of the Napa cult wines for sale, too, so if you're not careful, your wallet can take a big hit.

I'll tell Steve you're going up today, and to say hello to Sam.

- TheEngineer - 03-13-2008

Thanks for the pointers guys. It was a great day today. I'll have notes later...there are a few... but ended up going to

(1) Rubicon first (wow..what a place...missed out on the 2005 Rubicon by 2 days.
(2) Sequoia Grove
(3) Heitz (only return visit of the day)
(4) Milat
(5) Nickel a& Nickel
(6) Signorello
(7) Cliffe Lede
(8) Silverado Vineyard

I thought there was one more but I couldn't find my notes. Lunch at Taylors.

I tried getting to August Brigg but simply ran out of time and we did not go to Del Dotto as they were opening a new facility two days from now. I'll be back in a few weeks anyways so it was no issue. Nice day and a few boxes coming back with me.

- TheEngineer - 03-15-2008

Had a chance to bring a few clients to Napa this week. It was good because I’ve really not been there for about 6 months and really not vineyard hopping for more like a year. So this was an opportunity for me to go get a little R&R in, well as much as you can with clients.

I wanted to make sure that I did not go to any of the ones that I’ve been to before, with the exception of Heitz as I needed to pick up an ‘03 Martha’s Vineyard.

First stop was Rubicon Estate. Wow, this is a large place. I’ve never seen valet parking at a winery before. Beautifully tended, open courtyards, the cherry trees are starting to flower. On the inside, talk about judicious use of oak…..Oak everything. Nice tasting area, if a bit too much for me. More like a country club than a tasting room. Tried five bottles:

(1) 2006 Captain’s Reserve Chardonnay – tries to be a balance between the crisper side style with still some oak aging. Not so sure I like the results.
(2) 2005 Captain’s Reserve Syrah – very dark in colour, ripe nose with some cedar, hint of spicyness, black berries. On the palate, much the same but a good round smooth mouth feel. Flavours are fairly dense and the wine finish a bit hot.
(3) 2005 Captain’s Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon – a bit more restrained than the syrah, good structure, high acidity kept things fresh. This acidity would sorta be a theme today.
(4) 2005, Cabernet Franc, a bit lighter in color still to the CR Cabernet, this nose was definitely a bit leaner, herby, spicy. On the mouth, much the same, with a sense of lightness. Decent but does not appear to be built for the ages.
(5) 2004 Cask Cabernet Sauvignon - definitely a step up. Nose was of ripe red fruits, cherries, cocoa and oak. On the palate, the wine is much more lush and round but a but muted in the flavors (granted I was the first visitor in the morning and it had just been opened). Still it was rather enjoyable and not overdone. There was a good amount of flavors but still reasonably elegant. Some coco/coffee at mid palate and a good long finish.

Sequoia Grove I see all the time and in that stretch between them and St. Supery, I rarely stop and I’m not sure why. Nice small little tasting room. Went through 4 wines

(1) 2005 Carneros Chardonnay – Rather light in colour (would’ve thought Sauvignon Blanc for CA), Nose is rather fresh, light, peaches, nectarine, floral, and a hint of citrus. On the palate, the above along with more lemon / lemon rind notes and a slightly salty finish.. Good acidity.
(2) 2004 Stage Coach Syrah – deep red purple colour, nose of black berries, ripe, hint of tea, good restraint, slightly bitter finish.
(3) 2004 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon – Garnet in colour, nose of back berries, ripe cherries, oak, not yet all integrated, shape to taste right now.
(4) 2004 Rutherford Bench Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon – A good step up from the standard bottle, smooth, ripe, intense, some hints of tobacco. Good long finish
Heitz is always a good stop for me. I like the tasting room and the view out back.

(1) 2005 Chardonnay - The wine is elegantly subdued right now. Notes of green apple, rather lithe, nice crispness, good clean finish.
(2) 1998 Bella Oaks – This is drinking rather well right now, resolving a bit like a Bordeaux.. Colour did show some bricking but the nose was nice and complex. Looks good for drinking soon. Nicely complex and integrated, earthier, bit of tobacco, dried fruits.
(3) 1998 Trailside – A bit denser than the Bella but the same flavour profile, perhaps a hint less aged, a bit more fruit still left on the palate. Not sure how long each of the bottles had been opened but I got there early and both of these were lower in the bottle.
(4) 2005 Gringolino Port, lighter in style than his ink dark other ports, this one is lighter, simpler, less dense but still rather sweet. Interesting especially on warmer days when the thicker stuff might be too much.

Milat is a small family owned producer and another one that I’ve always driven by. Tried a number of bottles here.

(1) 2006 Chenin Blanc – light fresh, floral, slightly off-dry, very approachable and easy to drink but rather simple with a very short finish.
(2) 2004 Pine Station Red Table Wine - Zindfandel fruitiness with a bit more of a back bone. Again, a bit off dry and not really my style. Med finish, and medium body.
(3) 2005 Zinfandel – For some reason, much better than the blend. A full bodied red but very simplistic and not much going for it.
(4) 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon Classic Nose was of ripe red fruits, berries, and hints of oak. On palate, again a simple cabernet Sauvgnon and again a bit off-dry.
(5) 2005 Zivio Port – Port style wine that unfortunately did not look much like port. Very light but still very sweet, no complexity, no real density.

Nickel and Nickel – I’ve never been able to get a reservation here and today we got a change to go in. I like being served a chardonnay in the waiting area until a group entered in and the women were all wearing perfume. After that I could smell nothing else. Decently little tour and the wine were:

(1) 2005 Regusci Vineyard – Block 4 Cabernet Sauvignon Stag’s Leap. Typical Stag’s leap flavours, very smooth, nice perfumey wood, great structure, and would love to see what a few years would do for this bottle.
(2) 2005 Witz End Vineyard, Rutherford. Even riper and more full, Nose was very nice, very attractive, some spices, soy, and some of that Rutherford dust. More upfront than the Regusi.
(3) 2005 C.C. Ranch, Rutherford – simplier, light in nose and color, Fruitier,
(4) 2005 John C. SullengeVineyard, had a very smooth, very round mouthfeeld. Fruits of cherries, hits of black pepper, higher acidity, and a good long finish.
(5) Vogt Howell Mountain – Super dense and ripe. Very fruit dense but still manages to retain a good elegance in the wines. This was the wine of the vertical.

Signorello is a winery that I was told to go to just for the views. Tried three bottles. Thy were:

(1) 2005 Estate Syrah. – ripe density and big structure that needs time to come back around.
(2) 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon – Full cabernet sauvignon structure and flavours but a bit rougher around the edges and very little to want to go back for.
(3) Padrone – Best out of the group and was very noticeable. It has a good solid nose, floral but with some black cherry, oak and vanilla Mouthfeel is round and the wine finish is long.

Clife Lede is another winery that I was looking forward to.

(1) 2006 Sauvignon Blanc – nice floral nose, and on palate orange, lychee, rind and some minerality. Medium body wine
(2) 2005 Claret – Solid nose, good ripeness, very dark colour to the wine. However, I felt that the acidity was too sharp and not showing well. Slightly off-dry and finishes a bit hot
(3) 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon – good dark in appearance, solid reserved nose with dark fruits, cedar woods. However, the acidity in this wine was to me a bit too high.

Silverado Vineyard

(1) 2006 Sauvignon Blanc Miller Ranch, Single Vineyard. Colour was a bit paler yellow with a hint of green tinge. Nice density of flavours., lemon and grapefruit citrus nose and green apple flavors with a crisp acidity, lingering flavors.
(2) 2005 Sangiovese Napa Valley – Similar to Italian sangiovese except very ripe and forward.
(3) 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley – lost my notes....must have been due to the red eye I took to go back to Boston.

- winoweenie - 03-15-2008

I must say there Eng You be a BUSY dude. Joe Heitz was a dear friend and I've had every Martha's he made since the first in 66. Hated it when he died. Also love some of the Siverado bottlings. Always good P/Q stuff. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 03-16-2008).]

- dananne - 03-15-2008

Stellar notes and it was nice living vicariously!