WineBoard
General recommendation in London for a restaurant - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: General recommendation in London for a restaurant (/thread-21137.html)

- TheEngineer - 09-05-2009

British / Continental

The Guinea Grill on Burton Place just steps away from Oxford Street in Mayfair.
I'd say 3 stars out of 5. Great oysters and a very good steak and kidney pie. Desserts were also very good but the letdown was the steaks that were overdone and veggies that did not appear to be freshly made. Cosy is the operating word of the day. Decent if smallish wine list.

Bord'Eaux 3.5/5 is in the Grosvenor house where I stay. I usually do not come down for meals here since I usually leave the restaurant. One day had lunch here with the clients and it was in fact very nice. Had just a great steak tatar. Great staff, nice area, good amount of space.

Middle Eastern

Del Aziz (3.5/5), in the Westfield Mall, Southern Terrace Restaurants area. This is the largest and newest mall in Europe (6 months old) and is located in White City near the BBC (my favourite clients ever!!! they are soooo cool!) If you can escape this mall without major damage to your credit card (which I could not....) then make a run to the Southern Terrace where there are a string of restaurants on two levels that are on the outside (including a wagamama I think). Tangines were okay but most of the other foods were very good. Love the area. (3/5) Desserts again was
veyr good. The pear and banana cake was just awesome! Just make sure that you do not head back into the mall after this!

Global Fusion, continental

Giraffe Cafe, near Bishop Square, another nice place to have lunch in this area (and there are tonnes of nice places here, including a bangers and mash place called Sausage and Mash ...shorten to S&M....) Had their specials which was a meatball dish on rice, very nice and the edamame with soya sauce and chilli was just perfect to whet people's appetite! 3/5

Spanish / Tapas

Meson Los Barilles is a nice little place where the food is honest and hot and the decor is decidely more on the spicy side compared to the others in the Bishops Square area. Nice paellas too for little money 3.5/5

Indian Food

Chor Bizarre (4/5), an india restaurant also in Mayfair area (on Albemarle Street), is just a wonderful indian restaurant. Quaint is small with a staff that seems to fit the mood, the food was just wonderful and honest (only poor item was the biryani that had just a bit too much oil in the bottom of it). Nicely assembled if small wine list. That night we had an Australian Riesling)

Les portes des Indes, Near the marble arches station, good indian/british indian food in a surrounding that reminds me of the imperial days than current restaurants. Food is solid if again a bit uninspired. Too much british influence here has made the dishes a bit too mild for me.

Bombay Palace, Connaught Street near Paddington Station has some wonderful indian dishes. While yes there is the typical Chicken Tikki Masala, the rest of the menu is a bit more traditional and honest in a comfortable area.

Japanese

Nobu, Mayfair London, as with all Nobu's this one was expensive but really rather loud. More like a nightclub for late 20 somethings to 50 somethings. Very nicely dressed people if you are into people watching (you really can't miss them...).
Food is good if rather uninspired but already fresh and first grade. There are many a chefs that have left Nobu who do roughly the same and cost a lot less oin SF to be honest.... 4/5

Wagamama, a large chain now, but still good fresh and healthy food. Love the noodles and the bench style seating that makes the place rather informal. More popular with the younger set.

Large Chains, Takeaway (Brit speak for Takeout.)

Eat. you see these everywhere and I love the. I always go in for a 1/2 sandwich of BLT for GBP 1.45 and their pies are not half bad either. Some of the salads are a bit les exciting

Pret A Manger - again, everywhere, same type of stuff as eats but less hot food and good sandwiches for little money Both Pret a Manger, Eat and Please like Costa Coffee, know how to do prepared sandwiches so much better than any large chain in the US. These are attractive, tasty and efficient ways to get a meal

Wasabi - an asian version of Pret A Manger where you go in a get a full meal for like GBP 6. You pick a base (rice, noodles) and then there is an honestly good selection of Cantonese and Japanese style dishes for selection. Not bad for takeaway.

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 09-05-2009).]

- hotwine - 09-05-2009

Nice notes. Would add La Bouchee' at 56 Old Brompton Road in South Kensington. Very small, reservations required, but a really delightful little place with wonderful food and reasonably -priced wines. And as a bonus, an Odd Bins wine shop is across the street and a wonderful two-level bookstore is next door to that.

- TheEngineer - 09-08-2009

Many thanks Hotwine! I'll definitely head there one night!

- andrawes76 - 09-15-2009

I hear that Buckingham Palace makes a mean peanut butter and banana filled pancake. Its just hard as be-jeez to get in!