WineBoard
Let the Travel begin - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Let the Travel begin (/thread-21128.html)

- Glass_A_Day - 02-08-2005

Little GAD won't be around for a few weeks and wanted to say see you soon. I'm off to CO tomorrow to visit friends and the day after I get back next week I am going to Germany for a week to tour with a friend who is stationed there in the National Guard. Any interesting wine found will be reported!

- Innkeeper - 02-08-2005

Must be great to be young. Have a great trip.

- wondersofwine - 02-08-2005

Gute Reise! Will be interested in your report on the Germany trip.

- winoweenie - 02-08-2005

Have fun GAD and stay out of jail. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 02-08-2005

Watch out for those frauleins....

Whereever you happen to be, ask for the local libations and foods. Every village seems to have at least one brewery, and there are vineyards along all of the rivers. My favorite hangouts are along the Mosel (for wine) and in the area between Stuttgart and Munich (for beer). And of course the Rhein River and its picturesque little towns, ancient castles, incredible restaurants, etc. And frauleins everywhere.... Just avoid the big Bud-style breweries' products, like Beck's..... that stuff is swampwater compared to village beer, like Schwabenbrau.... brings tears to me old eyes, just thinking' about that stuff!

Did I mention the frauleins?

- Thomas - 02-08-2005

GAD, my wife is presently in Austria--she says it's really cold.

Safe trip--drive a Volvo there too...

- Glass_A_Day - 02-08-2005

LOL foodie. I think I just might. Thanks for the locations HW. The frauleins may have to watch out for me. I will try to stay out of jail as best I can and report when all is said and done. Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.

- Glass_A_Day - 02-24-2005

GAD is back from his travels and still needs to catch his breath. I knew the Alps would be beautiful, but gosh golly gee... And vineyards everywhere!

- hotwine - 02-24-2005

Welcome back, GAD. Surprised you came back, after seeing that gorg-em-ous country. The ladies and the vino are really something. Especially the vino and the ladies.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 02-24-2005).]

- dananne - 02-24-2005

Welcome back! Looking forward to a trip report when you've had a chance to catch your breath.

- Glass_A_Day - 02-25-2005

Details huh? Alright. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] Well, the friend I went to see was a lady so yes it was hard to leave since she is now a bit more than a friend. Her return in a few months in greatly anticipated. She is a wine lover too so double trouble!! I arrived in the Frankfurt AM airport on Friday morning and the exploring began. We then proceeded to the town of Wuertzburg where she was stationed. The little wine shops downtown were an eye opener for me. Aside from the regular bottles from around the world they had all the local juice in large glass ball shaped bottles with taps on the front. From them you could take small empty bottles from the shelf below and fill up with whatever you wanted. This was true of local liquors as well. After a day of poking around and getting rested we jumped on Autobahn 7 South and in a few short hours were in the beautiful town of Bavarian town of Fussen in the Alps. There we spent the weekend exploring and shooting out in different directions. The castles and churches were absolutely breathtaking. Although it was cold, I found the light fluffy snow that coated all each night to make it almost a surreal experience each morning. I've seen some pictures of the mountains in the summer and they are just as amazing, but the little towns in the Alps in the winter just felt perfect. The ceilings in the various churches we visited were painted in a fashion that blew me away and the pictures I took simply don't do them justice. I have to tell you all, it's tough to be back. I even enjoyed the food and the little breweries in each town were tough to beat anywhere. ------News flash------ While writing this post my phone rang. It was friend from Germany who just this moment found out she is comming home the first week of April. So, the timing of GAD's trip was perfect and now I don't have to pine for the return of my new love interest. Things sure have turned around since my accident a month back!!!!

- winoweenie - 02-25-2005

Welcome back GAD you rascal you! Sounds like the trip was a home-run. Some places are so beautiful it defies descriptors. Things really are looking up fer youse. WW

They sure are. I think I may have a date for the offline this year. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 02-25-2005

Good on you, GAD. Sounds like a great trip.

- wondersofwine - 02-25-2005

Welcome back (or wilkommen). Was Garmisch-Partenkirchen one of the towns you visited? I think it is not far from Fussen. My first attempt at skiing was at a ski week in Garmisch. I also spent a couple Christmases in Oberammergau staying in the NATO quarters (the NATO students are on a break during the holiday period). I also have some funny stories about attending the Passion Play in Oberammergau (held every ten years). We missed our "curfew" and were locked out of the hotel which made for some merriment. Did you like the Franken wine of Wuerzberg area? I never took to it as much as to Mosel and Rheingau wines.

The Wuerzberg wines I was told were more for local consumption as they did not have the highest quality. I wasn't thrilled with them, but they weren't bad. I did make it to Garmish which was also fun... although there wasn't much that wasn't!

- dananne - 02-25-2005

Glad to hear it was an all-around great time -- sounds amazing.