WineBoard
What a beautiful day on the east coast..... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: What a beautiful day on the east coast..... (/thread-21081.html)

- Drew - 11-20-2002

As a continuing program with the Baltimore Police Department, I traveled to Gettysburg today to tour the battle grounds for leadership training. I've been there before but the two people that hosted the training, one retired major and one current sergeant, were amazing. I have never before understood and envisioned the events that changed a nation like today. And to make it just that much better, it was 60 degrees, sunny and I live just 60 miles from the battlefield. I stood at the location where Joshua Chamberlain changed the war. Just psyched.

Drew

- Bucko - 11-20-2002

Refresh my history -- wasn't that the battle of little roundtop?

- Drew - 11-20-2002

That's correct and our hosts, as well as other historians, claim that his actions were the difference between being welcomed into the "United Confederate States of America" and our current configuration.

DRew

- Innkeeper - 11-20-2002

Joshua Chamberlain, was a college professor from Bowdoin College. He rounded up the 20th Maine from all over our state. They held the West Flank at Round Top. Have visited it many times. Chamberlain later, without his lower lower extremities lost during the war, went on to become the Governor of Maine and, later, President of Bowdoin College.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 11-20-2002).]

- wondersofwine - 11-20-2002

WW will drink a toast to that. (Of course he'll drink a toast to the sun coming up.)

- hotwine - 11-20-2002

I'm continually amazed at the stories of that war. I try to envision myself as an infantryman under the intense artillery bombardment that so characterized those engagements, and am absolutely amazed at the raw courage of the participants. I've endured heavy artillery, and witnessed grown men losing it and crying like babies, but that didn't come close to what those fellows endured. Lost a lot of relatives on the Soutern side, in east Tennessee. Must have been hell on earth....everybody was family, friend, neighbor, being butchered by the thousands. As many men were lost in three days at Gettysburg as in the entire Vietnam War. Incredible. Holy ground.

- winoweenie - 11-21-2002

Inspiring. And for the record It's "ww drinks at gas station openings." Our historical markers here in the west deal primarily with the Spainairds movements up the coast of Calif and most of the battles were related to the turbulant times after the Civil war. Lots of Calvary and Indian sites around Phoenix. Some nasty skirmishes happened 'round here. The most remarkable engineering achievement in my scope was accomplished by a tribe known as the Ho-Ho-Kums' who dug aqueducts from the White mountains over 100 miles from Phoenix to bring water to the sticker patch. Amazingly, the path they took has been only slightly modified by our current engineers.WW

- wondersofwine - 11-21-2002

"Gas station openings" I'll remember that WWW.

- Auburnwine - 11-21-2002

My great great grandfather was in the 5th Mississippi - Shiloh, Chicamauga, Missionary Ridge. Captured south of Chattanooga and spent the rest of the war in Cicero Prison, the Yankee's Andersonville. He was the only one of six brothers to survive the war.

My wife's great great grandfather was shredded with the rest of the 15th Alabama at Big Round Top.

What incomprehensible misery.

But on a lighter note - my 10-year-old's Sunday School class recently helped with an archaelogical site survey near Tuskegee. 8,000 year old stone chips and pottery shards. Way cool!

[This message has been edited by Auburnwine (edited 11-21-2002).]