WineBoard
Picon Club - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Picon Club (/thread-21024.html)

- Judie - 07-22-2000

I have an apertif recipe called Belle Celinte which is a creation of Andre Surmain in Mougins-Village-France at the establishment of Relais & Chateaux. I have e-mailed them and have gotten no response. It calls for 5 parts of Picon Club, 2 parts of Cinzano, 1 part Grenadine, and 1 part eau de vie de poire. The recipe also calls equal to volume of other ingredients of champagne. I have been told by someone who translated the recipe for me that Picon Club is a brand name of wine. No where have I been able to find this brand name in either a wine or a champagne. The only item I can find under picon at all is the Amer Picon, but 5 parts of Amer Picon seems like a lot for these ingredients. Can someone please tell me what Picon Club might be? I would sure appreciate any help. At least if I know what this ingredient is, I can find a substitute. I have been trying for years to get this recipe translated and to find the ingredients

[This message has been edited by Judie (edited 07-22-2000).]

- winoweenie - 07-23-2000

Hi Judie and welcome to the board.I`ve tons of friends in your fair town. Picon Club ? I`ve had lots of Picon at the Basque restaurants scattered here in the west. I`ll check with some friends tomorrow and get back . Winoweenie

- Judie - 08-13-2000

I have found my answer, if you were wondering what Picon Club also was. I finally got an answer from the restaurant I had the drink at. It is a sweet red wine that is even difficult to obtain in France. So much for trying to find that brand somewhere in the states. I may have to just try several red sweet wines to find one that will make just as pleasing a drink. Does anyone have any suggestions to the brand of sweet red wines that might compliment the ingredients I have stated for this drink?

- winoweenie - 08-14-2000

Judie, Quady makes a marvelous sweet red dessert wine called Elysium.Bonny Doon also makes some far-out dessert wines called Cassis Infusion and Framboise Infusion. Hope this helps. winoweenie

- Innkeeper - 08-14-2000

The easy answer is Port. However, Banyuls seems to be the popular sweet red French wine around here; recommended by Jock just yesterday over on the Food & Wine thread. It is from Provance, and can be found at Garnet Wines and Liquors for $15.99 which is about the entry price for a decent Port. You can find them at: www.garnetwine.com .

- winoweenie - 08-14-2000

Ik, the reason I didn`t reccomend port was the alcohol content. Think it would overpower the other components in this drink. What she`s looking for is a basic sweet , non-intrusive red. Winoweenie

- Judie - 08-14-2000

Thanks Winoweenie and Innkeeper for your suggestions. I did think the port sounded a little heavy with these ingredients. I have printed out all your suggestions though, and will take them under consideration. Thanks again.