WineBoard
Dao & Spice - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Dao & Spice (/thread-210.html)

- Innkeeper - 03-14-2001

When Winecollector mentioned Caves Velhas Dao under the On A College Budget post in Novice yesterday, it reminded me we had a couple of bottles in the basement. We uncorked a 1996 and had it with the following. Mmmmmm good.

GARLIC HAMBURGERS WITH CHILE SAUCE:

MEAT:

1 lb Lean ground beef
1 tsp Crushed garlic (2 cloves)
1/2 tsp ea Salt, pepper, granulated garlic (garlic powder)

SAUCE:

1/4 lb Ground pork
1/4 C Grated onion
1/2 tsp Crushed garlic (1 clove)
1 tbl Olive oil
1/4 C Ketchup
1/2 C Water
1 1/2 tbl Tomato paste (tube is best)
1/4 tsp Granulated garlic (garlic powder)
1/4 tsp Ground cumin
1/2 tbl Chile powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Penzeys bay leaf seasoning or 1/8 tsp Powdered bay leaf
Minced fresh or crumbled dry Cilantro for garnish

Cook pork in olive oil with onion and garlic until meat loses its color. Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro, and bring to boil, stirring sauce consistently. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Mix the meat with garlic and seasonings and form into three or four patties. Grill over high heat/coals for fifteen minutes, turning once. Remove to hot platter, cover with chili sauce, and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve.

- hotwine - 03-14-2001

Sounds fan-tabulous, IK! Thanks for the recipe!

- winecollector - 03-15-2001

I think I should have at least been offered a doggie-bag out of this deal....

- Drew - 03-15-2001

Sounds great IK, we're planning on trying your recipe next week.

Drew

- winoweenie - 03-16-2001

Sounds marvelous but,Does it go well with Gewurtz? WW

- Innkeeper - 03-24-2002

Tend to have quarter pounds of pork in the freezer this time of year, left over from Super Bowl meatballs. So we did the Garlic Hamburgers again last night. This time we matched them with Marietta Cellars, California, Old Vine Red, Lot Number Twenty Eight. Match made in heaven.

- TINAJ - 03-29-2002

Just opened my first bottle of the Marietta Old Vine Lot #28. My husband purchased it a few weeks ago (he is not the "wine enthusiast" in our family). I must say that I am thoroughly impressed. A very good wine to sip while perusing(sp) this board. My limited tasting vocabulary says fruit, fruit, fruit. I can't wait to try the above recipe.

- Innkeeper - 05-10-2002

Well, we popped our first Lot Number Twenty Nine tonight. It was fresh, crisp, and of course fruity. Better than the last couple of years, and they were just fine, thank you. Matched it with barbequed broasted chicken legs with the "red" sauce tonight, and it went very well. Look for the #29!!!

- chittychattykathy - 05-10-2002

IK, True, true...
#29 is red-hot! It just seems to get better every year, maybe because it's always so "neon" fruity, (but with back) when it's first released. Yummy.

- Drew - 05-24-2002

Popped a Lot #28 tonight and I forgot what an amazing wine it is for the bucks! Really delicious with a loooong finish that paired well with grilled chicken and black beans and rice. Great QPR for less than $10.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 06-23-2002

Arrived home from a wine tasting Friday night and found nothing thawed from the freezer, and a fridge full of leftovers and doggy bags. So, I put together two plates full of chicken breast in paprika cream sauce, BBQ'd baby back ribs, sauteed Brussels sprouts, and fully loaded baked potato. With no hesitation reached for a jug of Marietta Old Vine Red Lot #29. Wonderful.

- BojoLay - 07-10-2002

Inkeeper,
I just now read your post. You have my taste buds very eager to try your recipe and a bottle or two of Marrietta Old Vine Red #29. Please tell me where to find it. I typically never spend more than 10 bones maybe 11 for a bottle of wine so this may be just the ticket for me. What type of wine is it?
Bojo

- Innkeeper - 07-10-2002

If you use the search function on this board, you will find that people, including me, tend to pop it when they can't think of or have anything else to go with food at hand. It is widely available and you should be able to get it at any major retailer in your area. They have it, for sure, at Wine Exchange in Orange, CA.

As far as what type of wine it is, that is a very difficult question to answer. It doesn't fit into any "neat" category. It is a field blend (an old field at that) of zinfandel, petite sirah, carignane, and gamay. This is a true California field blend of grapes from the Adriatic (zin), Southern Rhone (PS & carignane), and Southern Burgundy (gamay).

- Innkeeper - 08-31-2002

Well, with ten eating people and one baby in the house tonight, we had hot dogs, eggplant salad, Maine baked beans (yellow eyes), and tater tots for dinner tonight. Popped two bottles of Lot #29 with it, that three of us demolished.