WineBoard
Thank the Lord we got " W " - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Thank the Lord we got " W " (/thread-20991.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Bucko - 09-25-2001

I'm [b]soooooo[/b] confused!!

- hotwine - 09-26-2001

In my own not so humble, Buckster, it boils down to this: they all share some common characteristics that detract from their honorable purpose, like paid staff. But of the biggies, I trust the Salvation Army.

- Innkeeper - 09-26-2001

OK, Gill; but just pray that the fireman's widow belongs to their church, otherwise she'll get nothing from them except a pat on to po po.

While we are on this roll, did you know that all money donated to both the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts goes to pay the staff of the state and national organizations? And that not a cent goes to the local troops?

The United Way does the most good at ground level by supporting counseling centers, subsidizing day care centers, and other "hands on" local agencies.

They tolerate the likes of the Red Cross, Salvation Army, and Scouts because of their name recognition, and not one other reason.

Incidentally all the Health Care Agencies run upwards of 50% admin costs (which include advertising and promotion as well as salaries). The highest is MD. Jerry has to pay the network for every minute the telethon is on the air.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 09-26-2001).]

- hotwine - 09-26-2001

And there you have it, Bucko.

- wondersofwine - 09-26-2001

I am considering giving to the "Windows of Hope" fund on wineloverspage.com which says ALL money collected will go to families of Windows on the World Restaurant employees killed in the attack (some 70 employees). But I also want to help families of emergency workers killed (firefighters, etc.) and possibly the victims on the hijacked airliners. For instance, there is a separate fund established by the former employer of Jeremy Glick who leaves behind a wife and baby. He was one of the heroes of the flight that crashed in Pennsylvania. Hard to know where to contribute.

- hotwine - 09-26-2001

Wow, here's one specifically for firefighters, sponsored by the IAFF (International Association of Firefighters), which states that all donations will go directly to the firefighters' families:

New York Firefighters 9-11 Disaster Relief Fund
PO Box 65858
Washington D.C. 20035-5858

United Way of New York is coordinating the relief efforts of state and city organizations.

Both of those can accept donations off secure portals from their Web sites, at

http://store.yahoo.com/firedonations/
and
https://september11fund.org/

For more info, including other organizations, go to:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/

- wondersofwine - 09-28-2001

Thanks, HW. I will use the address you provided for firefighters' families.

- hotwine - 11-02-2001

We're starting to see the knickers of some the big charities, as questions arise about their management of the windfalls from the 9/11 disaster. The Red Cross board of governors has canned the organization's CEO in a disagreement over how the funds should be administered; she had set up a special Liberty Fund specifically for 9/11 relief, but the board, and some of the senior staff, wanted to use big portions of it for their own "infrastructure needs", and something called a campaign for the "promotion of tolerance". In the meantime, news programs are beginning to expose the hardships of survivors whom the funds were intended to benefit, who have yet to see one thin dime of those donations.
I don't know what the solution should be. Confound it, we've even got a similar situation at our church, where donations have been used for unintended purposes: we found out that our contributions to the building fund, and even memorials, have been consumed to meet current expenses, because of a "cash flow problem". I told the preacher if he thinks he's got a problem now, he ain't seen nothin', yet! Credibility is like virginity: once it's gone, there's no callin' it back!

P.O.'d in Helotes

- Innkeeper - 11-02-2001

Sometimes actions can do more than money. We are organizing one thousand homes thoughout our county here to provided respite for survivors and volunteers for three nights each over two weeks in early April. We are arranging free transportation, lodging and breakfast in the homes, two days of activities including going out on lobster boats, lunch in local restaurants, and dinner in local churches.

Since we attended a memorial service for our lost alumni at Fairfield University last Sunday, we are going to do same right now for the survivors of the fourteen alums and sixteeen close relatives of students and alums we lost. As you know we are still living in what used to be our B&B before retiring, so we have plenty of room. The service was a heart wrenching experiance. Survivors of the alums individually came up and lit candles for them. One young women came up for both her husband and her father who worked in same office. Three others cames up towing very young children along with them.

- wondersofwine - 11-02-2001

I admire what your county is doing in April!
Good going!

- hotwine - 11-02-2001

Same here. Attaway, IK!

- Bucko - 11-02-2001

Brilliant idea! A big Attaboy your way!

- winecollector - 11-09-2001

Haven't been on for a while, or I would have posted this sooner. I heard on the radio about a week ago that out of all that money the Red Cross collected for the Sept 11th victims, they were only going to use 20% of it on the victims, and doing whatever they felt like with the rest. Has anyone else heard this?

- hotwine - 11-09-2001

I hadn't heard the 20% figure, but yeah, that's the problem. And now they're trying to explain themselves to some very irate Congressmen.

- wondersofwine - 11-09-2001

My colleague, Ann Parham, Department of Army Librarian, who was injured in the attack on the Pentagon is doing well physically. In fact she was selected to represent the civilians receiving the Defense of Freedom medal in an appearance on CBS morning show with Bryant Gumbel. She appeared along with a sergeant major who helped at least seven people escape from the burning building. Ann seemed calm speaking about the horror of that day and the burns on her face were not noticeable. Some of the other librarians in
the Pentagon that day are still suffering a psychological aftermath I hear--sleeping problems and the turmoil of working in new locations (Library was heavily damaged although contractors were able to save many of the books from water damage).
We humans have got to find a better way to settle differences than crazy terrorist attacks!

- hotwine - 11-09-2001

Glad to hear your friend is doing well, WOW. But would suspect that PTSS will be common among the survivors of that experience. It's nothing to be ashamed of, just a part of living, and surviving, but something to watch for, and to lend a hand for, when that's helpful.

- mrdutton - 11-09-2001

Based on information that I've heard on NPR, the American Red Cross is taking a lot of heat lately.

This includes a few hours of answers & questions in front of the U. S. Senate.

Seems the rumours are true. The Red Cross has no intention of distributing the money earmarked for WTC and Pentagon Disaster Relief in full. They are talking about distributing some of the funds and then keeping the remainder for "Future requirements".

Excuse me.............. But I was under the clear impression that the money that was sent to the Red Cross was intended for the immediate needs of those who suffered from the events of September 11. It seems to me, therefore, that all funds collected should be distributed.

As I've said above in previous posts, I don't have a lot of faith in the Red Cross. Frankly, I think they tend toward serving their own interests, rather than the interests of those for whom the contributions were intended.

My father never had much faith in the American Red Cross during WWII and his anecdotal evidence, not worth repeating here, is quite intimidating.

From what I am hearing lately, they have not changed much in the past 50 years.