WineBoard
Mark Squires board - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Mark Squires board (/thread-20938.html)

- Drew - 05-03-2009

What is up with that board? The most mean spirited wine board I've seen.

DRew

- VouvrayHead - 05-03-2009

I've lurked over there a bit and just have ZERO interest in joining... It looks like there are some gracious, hugely knowledgable people there, but so many seem like they're only there to brag about their haut-brion (which I'm sure is lovely) or shoot down those they disagree with...

- winoweenie - 05-03-2009

See my post today on the R&R thread. Can't agree more with both of youse guys. Howm-so-ebberly, our Foodster will cut them a new one afore this thread is done and over. The most Contentious, Pompous, Conceited, Overbearing a bunch of wine snobs as I've ever had the privilidge to not be associated with in any manner or shape in my whole ever-lovin' put-together. The thread on the Wine Lovers board explains it all with our own sweet, cuddly, cute Foodie holding court in his usual unassumiong manner. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 05-03-2009).]

- Kcwhippet - 05-03-2009

I stopped interacting with those clowns awhile ago. Generally, they don't seem to care what anyone outside of their inner circle posts. The worst is Squires himself. It seems since Parker blessed him, Squires has acted as if he's the ultimate arbiter in all things wine. If you don't agree exactly with his sense of the world, you're generally ignored, or else deleted. I go over there occasionally just to check on the Food stuff.

- Bucko - 05-04-2009

Very heavy-handed censorship from what I hear. Drew summed it up. I don't understand that mentality. I don't go to any wine boards anymore to speak of -- just kinda burned out of the whole scenario.

- Thomas - 05-04-2009

WW,

I was finally forced to withdraw completely. When an irresistible force such as ego meets a confrontational miscreant such as I, something's gotta give.

My apologies to Johnny Mercer.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-04-2009).]

- Kcwhippet - 05-04-2009

Foodie, You can be as confrontational as you want here, and you know that. Those of us who know you also know that you have the chops to back up what you say. Anyone who doesn't know you is just looking for a fight they can't win. It's like engaging in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent (an old and very trite phrase, but every bit apropos here --- I think).

- winoweenie - 05-04-2009

An' jes when it was really gittin' innersting. WW

- Thomas - 05-04-2009

The thing is, KC, I'm not looking for a fight. I'm trying to give people the benefit of what I've learned and discovered, and that's the problem.

Not only do people devalue education offered for free, but you can't teach people who think they already know the answers--to everything! And you certainly can't make people use their brains to think outside themselves who's 'soul' interest is to feed their ego.

One of the issues that concerns me is how much people personalize wine when in fact, it is a product like any other, which requires certain technical standards are met in order to create that beautiful, passionate thing that everyone seems to think belongs to him and her alone.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-04-2009).]

- andrawes76 - 05-05-2009

Never heard of Mark Squires and if you guys think its stuffy, then I'd probably just be wasting my time. I got the same general feeling from the Wine Spectator Board as well. Although there is a lot of good info on there, i felt it was too geared for the $300+ per bottle crowd. I feel there is much more to wine than the shallow sentiment that the more expensive the wine is, the better it must be. Kind of like being in a super old stuffy country club.