WineBoard
Glenora Retreat (?) News - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Glenora Retreat (?) News (/thread-20930.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- Kcwhippet - 05-21-2004

Speaking of the Corning Glass Museum, the International Eastern Wine Competition was being held there while we were up at Glenora. A wine that came away with a double gold was the Charles Shaw Syrah. Is that bizarre, or what?

- winoweenie - 05-21-2004

If it was against most of the cab blushes, pinot blushes and merlot blushes I had in the FLs', it makes perfeectly good sense to me [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]WW

- Thomas - 05-21-2004

It would make sense ww, but the competition includes wine from all over the U.S. It's called "Eastern" because it is held in the East. I, for one, find the Shaw Double Gold a surprise that makes everything I know about wine turn upside down--of course, we have no way of knowing which wines the Shaw was up againts, which is one reason I give to competition awards about the same level of interest that i give to number ratings.

With the exception of evaluating for technical flaws or wonders in wine, I never could understand rating or awarding a subjective, hedonsitic experience.

Sister: that cheese is, or was, Morbier(e?)

How did you guys get to taste the Anthony Road Vignoles? I tried to buy it for the store and was told it would not be available until July.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-21-2004).]

- californiagirl - 05-21-2004

Charles Shaw??!!????!

That makes my stomach turn. Literally! For some reason, the two times I tried the stuff, it gave me an upset stomach.

Yuck!

- Innkeeper - 05-21-2004

KC could be refering to the "old" Charles Shaw before he (Charles) sold the brand to Bronco. He (KC) was referring to a previous visit to Glenora, and we know he is not a spring chicken.

- Kcwhippet - 05-21-2004

The Eastern International Wine Competition was held at the Corning Glass Museum on 15-17 May 2004. The full results haven't been published yet, but the Charles Shaw bit leaked out because one of the judges on Panel D, which picked the wine for the double gold, was aghast when he learned what they had done. Incidentally, last year there were only two double golds awarded in the Syrah/Shiraz to $15 category. Boggles the mind.

- Innkeeper - 05-21-2004

YIkes!

- Thomas - 05-21-2004

May I offer this explanation: there are those who judge who are not technically trained to make evaluations.

I haven't judged in the Eastern so I don't know how strict they are about talking through a judging (which can influence others) and about a judge's technical wine knowledge.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-21-2004).]

- winoweenie - 05-21-2004

Didn't Steve go judge that competition? We"ll have to gig him on that one. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- glenora - 05-22-2004

I will weigh in with Foodie on the wine competition(s)--many times there are no real standards set (benchmarks), the judges have little experience, and most of these competitions are hosted by folks who make a ton of money on them--and pay the judges little or nothting (of course in many instances that is what they are worth).

Why do wineries enter them?????---because many consumers still purchse their wines by numbers or medals. Even WW's "blush cabernets" will march out the door if they are wearing a gold medal!

Foodie--Anthony Road Vignoles--you will have to start traveling with a better crowd. We had no trouble in tasting and purchasing it.

- winoweenie - 05-22-2004

sad but true on all counts. ww

- Kcwhippet - 05-22-2004

Glenora,

The key word on the Anthony Road Vignoles is "travel". If Foodie had travelled with us on Saturday, he would not only have had the opportunity to taste the wine, he could probably have struck a deal with the winery and had some in his shop right now. You gotta get over to the other lake every so often, Foodie.

- Thomas - 05-22-2004

Yeah well, whaddayu all know? I tasted the stuff out of the tank and then I asked to buy it for the store and was told July.

If John Martini doesn't want to sell it to me, what can I say? I did buy a few of his older ones and sold them all--except the ones I poured for a Japanese magazine that covered is-wine.

Anyway, with the view I have of Keuka, who needs to travel to Seneca Lake, which is too flat an area for me...

- winoweenie - 05-22-2004

Did youse pay for the first order in a timely manner? Sure influences my decision on whether to sell my purty stuff. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 05-22-2004

Pay for it? I knew I must have forgotten something...

- Innkeeper - 05-23-2004

Georgie and others. The stickie I brought with me was called The Flying Dutchman from Winterport Winery in Winterport, ME (www.winterportwinery.com)

- Sisterdear - 05-23-2004

Morbier(e) got it-thanks!

- Georgie - 05-24-2004

Hey, I wouldn't be so hard on foodie for not making the Anthony Road trip...remember he was hosting a party for US the next day...after all there was food to prepare and vacuuming to do...BTW we had Garage Sale II at my house Saturday and after a long, hot, arduous day, sisterdear and I toasted each other for a job well done with a nice cold glass of the Vignoles.

- wondersofwine - 05-24-2004

Loved the weekend and the people at the offline. Gene was a great host! Everyone was generous in sharing car pooling, wines, WW's sparkling wine with omelettes at breakfast, sanitizing wipes (thanks IK and Bev--when electricity went out, so did running water dependent on an electric pump or something so I was eating cheese left-handed until I could clean my right hand after using the bathroom--sorry for the image).
Willi Frank gave us a great introduction to the background of Dr. Konstantin Frank Winery (his father was the founder).
I will report (probably later today) on some of my tasting notes under a new thread. My contribution to the wines were a Rosenblum Harris Kratka Zinfandel that I opened with the pizza Friday night, a Merkelbach Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Auslese for Saturday's dessert, and two bottles of 2000 Jayer-Gilles Cotes de Nuits Villages (Burgundy) for Foodie's.
Foodie and Ann were gracious hosts. I should have done more to help clean up but Ann was worried about a guest being injured by the torn-up kitchen floor so sort of barricaded the kitchen area.
Foodie was the only one I had met previously (at Is-Wine) but it was great meeting KC and Judy, Winoweenie, Georgie and Sister, IK and Bev, Gene and Christie, also the couple from Liechtenstein (spelling?) Georgie even brought salt water taffy for the gang (thanks). I was impressed with the Vignoles wine at Anthony Road and with the Chardonnays, Rieslings and even the Pinot Noir at Konstantin Frank (and the sparkling wine at Glenora Wine Cellars). I also bought a late harvest riesling at Hermann Wiemer. Would have bought more at the Frank Winery only I had to tote the bottles on the airplane and could only manage four bottles. The strap on the box carrier held up until I was ready to board the shuttle to the parking lot at Raleigh-Durham Airport and then gave out. (Didn't drop the bottles at least so nothing was broken. I had picked up some Burgundies in New York City so had four bottles on the plane with me and three bottles in a suitcase). Saw the Billy Joel (music)/Twyla Tharp (choreography) "Movin' Out" in NYC and enjoyed wonderful meals at Molyvos (lunch) Greek restaurant, Triomphe, Gramercy Tavern and Wallse (Austrian cuisine). More on those wines also later.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 05-24-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 05-24-2004

Envy Georgie going back to Finger Lakes in September.
For next year late July or first half of August works better for me than late August. But I will try to work around whatever dates the majority favors. I've never been to Washington State so that would be interesting.