WineBoard
Glenora Retreat (?) News - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Glenora Retreat (?) News (/thread-20930.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- chittychattykathy - 05-17-2004

Sounds like a lot of fun!
Even more sorry that I couldn't make this one.
CCK

- marleyspud - 05-18-2004

Did anyone write down a list of all of the wines consumed ? I'd love to read it. (Assuming it would fit onto a posting!!??) :-) MS

- Sisterdear - 05-18-2004

I too want to add my 2 cents. Although I was kind of going out of duty to Georgie, I find that I was certainly blessed to be in such a beautiful part of the country and to be with such beautiful people. You were all so patient with me even when I admitted that I like Arbor Mist. I have never been treated so well by a "host." I felt like a celebrity! Thank you a million times over Gene. WW was a "joy" to have in the car-we threw him out at the terminal and hightailed it out of there. I feel now that I have known those there forever and look forward to maybe meeting the rest of you that I have heard about forever! Hubbydear is jealous and wants to know why I brought home all sweet wines-duh! I'll check on from time to time to keep Georgie in line so that she doesn't tell tales about me. Love you all!

- winoweenie - 05-18-2004

Had another lovely experience with Continental ALs. My direct flight was scheduled to leave Newark at 705 and arrive home at 920. They had a flight leaving at 4:30 that made a stop in Houston that was scheduled into Phoenix at 8:00. Changed to it and, naturaally with Murphy as co-pilot, they had to divert away from some violent thunderstorms and it was only 2 hours late. Instead of being in one opf them toy seats 5 hours I was lucky 'nuff to sqeeze my lil' fat buns in them for 7hrs and 29 mins. Needless to say I'm slightly bushed this morn. Want to add my thanks to Gene, the consummate host, the lovely spread put on by Anne and Thomas, Judy and KCs' generous group of killer pinots, the sweet Georgie And Joy for toting me outta' the backwoods into civilzation again, Bev and IK for their comradeship, Jane for her travelogue-wise banter and to all of the tremendously sweet staff at the Inn that helped make this such a memorable week-end. I'll do more posting as my body recovers and the mind regains some aspect of recall. WW

- Georgie - 05-18-2004

The only thing that could have made the weekend any better would have been if more of you folks could have made it. We missed having you with us. Next time, for sure, OK?

- Bucko - 05-18-2004

Pssssst! Next time don't tell WW where the off-line is....... [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 05-18-2004

Well, I'm finally caught up with everything at home (got in about 7:30 last night) and all the perceived emergencies at work, so here are my thoughts/observations/recollections from the wonderful time we had this past weekend.

We got a late start due to things happening on the home front, but we finally arrived and shortly after we checked in, the power went out as has been told and retold. Fortunately, it was still light and we decided to wait it out hoping the condition would be of short duration. It wasn't, so we hiked down to the front desk to see what the situation was. As we were there, we noticed an older gentleman scuttling into the dining room with an armful of wine bottles. On a whim I called out "Verne" and he turned around and said "That's me". After introductions, we followed him into the dining room and found everyone else there already well into the first three bottle of WW's 94 Napa Cabs. He opened the next three and we naturally dived in. I went back to the room and brought up an 87 Guigal Hermitage (brought four) to add to the lineup. Met Art Kelly, the executive chef, and he was hoping the power would come on so he could make us a nice dinner. It didn't, so out came a nice spread of several cheeses and accompaniaments. Power finally came back on and we invited the only other occupants of the room to join us. They were Helene and John Huff from Lichtenstein who were making their way across country to Las Vegas (where they were married) for their thirtieth anniversary. Very nice people. So, the whole crew was there along with Gene and his wonderful wife. Gene repeatedly tried to outline the agenda for the weekend, but after all the wine, he had a lot of trouble getting everyone's full attention. Eventually, we all got the message and trundled off to bed to rest up for the next day's trip.

I'd like to say Saturday dawned bright and cheerful, but the sun refused to cooperate. Regardless, we all trooped out after breakfast (I believe WW had a Glenora Brut for his). We dutifully followed Gene (with WW's occasional horn emphasis) to Herman Wiemer, Anthony Road, Fox Run (lunch in the barrel room), Knapp where we met Gene's daughter Karry (and the black swans Swim and Swam along with the fresh water crocodile), and finally Wagner where we had some really nice beers. Finally back to Glenora to Art Kelly's great spread. IK mentioned all the multitudinous ingredients for the do-it-yourself entree. I had lobster tail, scallop and shrimp with red and yellow peppers and roasted garlic with an orange/saffron sauce (Gene - Art was going to give me the recipe) over spinach fettucine. All were accompanied with copious amounts of wine - I provided a vertical of Lewelling Napa Cabs 1997 through 2000 along with another couple of bottles of the 87 Hermitage (Art really liked this one!). Gene's wonderful staff of John, Steve, Debby and, of course, Art made sure there was nothing any of us wanted or needed that wasn't readily taken care of. Great people!! Finally off to bed to rest up for Sunday's events.

Sunday was, if anything, a bit cooler than Saturday, but we weren't to be denied our adventures. First, we all had an opportunity to disgorge, dosage and cork our own bottles of bubbly. It was fun, and we can't wait to serve them at home with our own names on the labels. Then we were off to Dr. Konstantin Frank's for a presentation by Willy Frank and a taste of his lineup - some very nice wines there. Next off to Foodie's for the big feast. The centerpieces were the smoked salmon and smoked chicken, accompanied by wonderful asparagus, potato salad and more - and of course californiagirl's Mango Salsa. I don't remember how many bottles of wine were arrayed around the table, but there was no way any one person could have sampled them all (except maybe WW). Others will have to comment on the rest, but I provided four 2002 California Pinot Noirs - Radio-Coteau Marsh Vineyard, ROAR Rosella's Vineyard, Loring Ranco Ontiveros and Siduri Gary's Vineyard (really huge!). I was there when Gene tasted the ROAR and said "This is what Pinot is supposed to be." It was a wonderful wine, made for ROAR by Adam Lee at Siduri, by the way. Foodie's wonderful wife, Ann, was an incredibly gracious and accomodating hostess. She carried off the daunting task of feeding the horde with nary a hitch in a kitchen under construction. Thank you so much for the hospitality. Finally back to the Inn. For some reason, WW was still hungry so off we went to the restaurant for dinner, with the bottle of Dehlinger Syrah he had brought back from Foodie's. I had a wonderful bison and ostrich terrine that went extremely well with the Syrah.

Last day - Monday - finally dawned with real sunshine! I just knew the sun had to come sooner or later. Went down to the last breakfast with the crew - tearful farewells, and all that. Judy and I wanted to go up to the winery, so Gene called up to make sure they let us in early. We had to go because we hadn't really had an opportunity to taste through the Glenora wines. Gene spent the weekend shepherding us around to all his friends wineries, and neglected to do a full tasting of his own wines (except for Knapp, of course). We assembled about a case and a half to take and the lady at the register asked if we were in the FOG Club. I asked what that was and she said Friends Of Gene, so we said of course.

So, I've tried to put my own little spin on the events of the weekend without repeating too much of what has been said before. As for tasting notes, WoW was taking copious notes and I hope will be posting them eventually. This was a truly diverse group, but I've never been on such an adventure that's been as much total fun. I would be willing to get together with any one (or all) of the group again in a heartbeat. Truly wonderful people! I hope we all get together again for the next Wine Board adventure, along with a lot more folks here. I just can't end without at least once more expressing a huge amount of appreciation for all that Gene, his great staff and his friends at the other wineries did to make us welcome. Gene, you went way above and beyond, my friend. I'm sure there were many things that needed your attention this past weekend, and the amount of time and energy you spent to make this a memorable time for the rest of us was much more than we could have ever expected. Thank you so much, Gene.

- Innkeeper - 05-18-2004

Great report KC. Thanks for writing down all those names. And, yes "dosage" is the word that escaped me, among many others. I guess we stopped at Anthony Road because I have a bottle of their riesling in the collection we brought home. We rolled in around 1 PM this afternoon after making a few stops along the way. Sigh!

Two axioms that always seem to play out: 1. Wine people are great people. And 2. Great wine seems to find great food to go with, and vice versa.

- newsguy - 05-18-2004

KC,

thanks for the wonderful account of the weekend. with each post, i feel worse and worse that i couldn't make it.

next time, guaranteed. so, who wants to start setting up the next adventure? [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 05-18-2004

IK,

Hear, hear to both points in your second Paragraph.

Newsguy,

It looks like CCK an cg may have started a push toward Yakima Valley in Washington. Sounds like a plan to me. When scheduling this one, maybe the first thing to do would be to find a block of time which would provide the fewest scheduling conflicts with those that want to go. I'm thinking first off of Georgie's schedule at school - the summer job at the hotel can be bumped into I would assume, but the little ones need her guidance.

By the way, folks. Did you notice WW's post was entirely legible? It must have been the jet lag that reduced the fat fingering somehow, or he's been putting us on all this time.

- Thomas - 05-18-2004

Hey all, Anne says she also had a good time, although on Monday she refused to get out of bed. She was amazed at how well so many recent strangers to one another acted as a group. She did wonder, however, if Verne was making passes or if he has a tic.

KC and Gene, I will give you each a fig cutting this fall.

Verne--stop flying Continental.

Georgie and sis, WOW, IK--it was great fun, and hope it won't be just one of those things...

For the next one, I promise to have the kitchen done--oh right, it's to the other coast this time. Maybe then I can get drunk too!

- Georgie - 05-18-2004

Summer would be ideal for me! I could easily grab a week to stay out there and drop in on several west coast family members at the same time...Issaquah, WA, Sandy OR, and Vancouver, BC! I've already started a new piggy bank account! [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- dananne - 05-18-2004

Like newsguy, I'm feeling worse and worse about having to miss this one. Sounds like such a great time was had by all. I communicated the reports to Anne who's doing the aforementioned litigation retreat thing (one of the reasons we had to miss) and she's of the mind that she should have skipped her retreat [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

She's already on notice that we're not missing the next one for any reason, so any time the group decides to get together will be fine by us, and any location decided upon will be fine, too. We won't miss another one of these!

- chittychattykathy - 05-18-2004

If ya' all are serious about Yakima/Walla Walla, and I hope you are, lets get some dates from all interested. Currently I can set us up for any weekend in July or August if we're going with summer travel. (It sounds like this could be the preferred time period.) Summer = high, high heat! This said, everyplace we'd visit in Walla Walla or Prosser will have AC. The vineyards will be hot, but If I was able to spend hours photographing/walking vineyards last year during July/August then ANYONE can. Also, It cools off in the evenings to a nice temp. along the river where we'll enjoy our BBQ. (Skeet will be optional!)
September or October would be nice as well, beautiful weather, much cooler, we can eat wine grapes and maybe take part in harvest.

Toss a few weekends out and I will start plugging them into my palm and see what the pattern is.
CCK

- winoweenie - 05-18-2004

Okie-Dokie now HEAR THIS!!! Enny-Body (Outside of Steve) would have been overwhelmed by the diversity and comradie of this group. The closest I heard of any one complaining was when Geargie slapped my hand reaching for the horn and saying " Settle Down WW. She's not even as old as some of your Grand-Daughters." As I see KCs' posted on the super suckers he brung, here are the wines I brung up there Marley-Spud. 1977 Sandeman Vintage Port, 1997 Dehlinger Estate Syrah, 1997 Dehlinger Estate Pinot Noir, and Finally the following 1994 Napa Cabernets; Liparita Howell Mountail, Robert Craig Affinity, Markham Napa, Anderson Conn Valley, Gallo Frei Vineyard, Hess Collection,Stags Leap Stags Leap Vineyard, Beaulieu Vineyards Reserve, and Caymus Special Selection. All seemed to be Keen . Loved the array and vitality of the Central Coast Pinots KC toted and also the 97 and 99 Lewelling Wights. Foodie hade a couple of 99 Bordeauxs that had some real muscle. The wine bar would have supported another 1/2 dozen folk wif-out enny wear and tear. The food that Thomas prepared was kick-patootie with the Pinots Sunday. The Roar and Loring
PNs' and Dehlinger Syrah were all tasty with the smoked chickie and Salmon and even stood up to the marinated Asparagussie. Can't believe the first thing Judy said whenced back at the Inn was " When's Dinner?" Again, sorry youse guys missed the fun, hopm-so-ebberly gladder that WEUNS' DINT! WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 05-18-2004

Well, July or August may be a bit early after this trip for us to get out there. Also, we're going up to Niagara-on-the-Lake the first week in September for our anniversary. We're going to do the Niagara Peninsula wineries (Inniskilin, Jackson-Trigg, et al.), and a few plays at the Shaw Festival. Foodie - we forgot to discuss this with you!!!

Looks like WW's fingers are back in prime shape . [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] Thanks for the kudos on the wine, WW. However, I didn't make them - I just brought them.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 05-18-2004).]

- Thomas - 05-18-2004

Right KC, Niagara-on-the-Lake. Forgot. You'll just have to come back to Keuka Lake one day this summer to talk about it--you are welcome; well, your wife is anyway...

- californiagirl - 05-18-2004

Well, I'm hoping that the next time for retreat fits into our schedule as well... I'm hoping to meet everyone. KC's spoken highly of everyone, on and off the board.

July and August is way too early for us. TB will start his new shift rotation July 1st, so as of yet, I don't even know what the rest of the year will be like.

Georgie, I was wondering, my kids are out of school for Columbus weekend, usually sometime around Oct 11th. Do you have next year schedule yet and is your schedule the same? I'm sure it will be much cooler... and it's around harvest time. And for anyone wanting to ship wine back home, much better time of year for that also.

- chittychattykathy - 05-18-2004

So, what is up with WW and the horn?! Feel like there is a bit more to this...
[img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Sisterdear - 05-19-2004

I can give up the goods on the horn deal since I was driving when WW started it. It seems that everytime I stopped at a stopsign on the way to Knapp, WW would wait a millisecond if not less to honk the horn at me to go on. He was reaching over KC who was driving and then blamed it on KC when we got to Knapp. I knew better-even after spending less than 24 hours with WW-I knew better. This went on for the rest of the weekend. He couldn't reach Gene's horn when he was riding with him and Georgie and I made him sit in the back so it was curtailed a bit. WW honked at some Amish folk and he doesn't quite know what the gesture was that they gave him but he feels it was the Amish equivalent of "the bird". I forgot to thank our gracious hosts Foodie and Anne-I haven't been that relaxed in a long time (nor have I ever seen that much wine displayed in one place at one time. I'm already on the hunt for the cheese you had for us. Thank you dear people!