WineBoard
an idea - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: an idea (/thread-20887.html)

- Georgie - 07-28-2003

Now, realizing that I need a project about as much as I need to put 10 pounds on my butt, I did have an intriguing idea. There are constantly wonderful menu ideas and recipes floating around this board. Why don't we compile them into our own cookbook? I haven't thoroughly looked into it, but I did find a company that allows all the contributors to submit their recipes on-line. i don't think it would be a hard thing to do. They might make great gifts...any interest?

- wondersofwine - 07-28-2003

I might be interested if the cost is reasonable. Our church youth group is putting together a cookbook for desktop publishing and I submitted a few recipes for that. One caveat, most of my recipes are not original--I got them from friends or relatives and they may have come from a cookbook, so I don't know if I would be violating a copyright by submitting them. I believe IK, Foodie and some others are more original in their recipes.

- Georgie - 07-28-2003

I don't think recipes that go into community cookbooks necessarily have to be original. We wouldn't be doing this for profit; just for fun. I'm thinking the book wouldn't cost more than 10 bucks. I think we should be able to gather at least 100 recipes. If by any chance we did realize a profit from the sales we could choose a charity to which to donate. Hey, if foodie can get people to travel 1500 miles or more to attend an off-line, getting a few recipes out of this group ought to a cinch!

- JagFarlane - 07-28-2003

Hmmmm in the case of this board...the charity of teaching people the wonderous world of wine? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- tandkvd - 07-28-2003

I think that would be a good idea. Of course it would have to be compleat with wine sugestions for each recipe.

And if we can get some people to send the ingredients and wine, and have IK to do the cooking of each recipe. I will volenteer to go to Maine and sample each recipe and wine.

- Georgie - 07-28-2003

I will offer a plug for foodie, since I know he won't do it himself. He HAS put out a very nice cookbook of his own, entitled, "Garlic, Wine and Olive Oil." It's a very nicely done book; good recipes, background information and personal insights. It's avalable through Amazon books. I highly recommend it.

- Georgie - 07-30-2003

Although I am underwhelmed with your response to the cookbook idea, I am not yet dissuaded. I looked into it and it is very easy for contributors to enter recipes on-line. It is cheap to publish the books, depending on the number of recipes/copies and we don't have to put any money up front. I've sent for an information packet. BTW, IK e-mailed me DOZENS of his favorite recipes and I plan to keep them all to myself unless we get this book together! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] If we can do it in time, this would be a nice thing to distribute at the offline, wouldn't it? I'm going by car, so I can easily bring the books along! More details to follow. Start thinking of what you'd like to share.

- hotwine - 07-30-2003

Don't be discouraged, Georgie. It's a nice idea. All of my recipes require a wood smoker and plentiful supply of seasoned live oak for fuel, so they're probably not that appealing to most members. Lovely wife Debra certainly has some good ones. But we cook low fat/low carb, so again they may not be of general interest. The challenge for me for each meal is to find a wine that will pair nicely, and that's my excuse for keeping a modest quantity on hand.

- Georgie - 07-30-2003

Low fat/carb recipes would be great! IK already sent me a bunch. Many of us would appreciate them! When a main course recipe is submitted, a wine pairing should be suggested whenever possible. That's your job! Not mention that I'll bet you've got some great BBQ rubs, sauces, and marinades that would be enjoyed by many.

- winedope1 - 07-30-2003

I'd be happy to contribute and to help if you'd like, Georgie. Just let me know! WD

- quijote - 07-30-2003

Hey Georgie, if you need ten pounds, I have a few recipes for ya! But seriously, I have a handful of favorites I could contribute; the real challenge will be finding time to type them up.

Though each contributor can recommend a wine that has been tried and enjoyed with the recipes, perhaps each recipe should be accompanied by a list of "expert's picks"--wine pairings suggested by our more confident board members. I have very little idea of what would go ideally with some of my dishes. What wine would pair well with white gazpacho? A simple viura, maybe?? Perhaps IK or Foodie should be in charge of testing each recipe?!

- Georgie - 07-31-2003

Heaven knows I'm not knowlegeable enough to pair recipes with wines either. When we need help, I'm pretty sure that we can put out a call to the experts on the board. Just start gathering some recipes and when I get the details, I'll let everyone know just what to do. Our book will need a name, so maybe some of you creative types can start thinking of some possibilities.

- wondersofwine - 07-31-2003

I'll happily contribute some recipes although they may not be original.

- Georgie - 07-31-2003

Sounds good!

- Kcwhippet - 08-01-2003

I have a few recipes I could add to the mix.

- Georgie - 08-01-2003

Keep up the good work, girls and boys!