WineBoard
All quiet..... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: All quiet..... (/thread-20830.html)

- hotwine - 07-27-2002

....on the moving front. The Buskster and Drewski must both be surrounded by packing boxes; they're sure awfully quiet.

- Bucko - 07-27-2002

Homeless no more! The movers came yesterday after living in a hotel for the past seven weeks (our former house sold out from under us). We have been furiously unpacking today and do not seem to have even scratched the surface..... aarrgghh!

The seven month major renovation of our current home is now 95% complete and the home is certainly livable.

The wine cellar was the first room completed and all of my wine has been transferred without a hitch. Electing to go purely passive, the warmest the cellar has reached in the past two months is 63 degrees, which is more than adequate for me.

Now if only the satellite modem guy can get his act together -- 28K is painful.

- Drew - 07-28-2002

Yes, sorry Gil, only I'm up to my eyebrows in "Gypsies, tramps and thieves". Good 'ol Baltimore is having a crime spree, mostly homicides and shootings....car thefts are down thank God. Been organizing tactics and working hard and they're still shooting as I type, nobody listens. As to the home front we're almost 100% settled and enjoying the new digs...the only complaint I have is that I don't have a fancy new 63 degree and holding wine cellar.

Drew

- hotwine - 07-28-2002

Good to hear from both of you guys.

- zenda2 - 07-28-2002

Drew,
Sorry to hear about all the extra work re: Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves. Can't you get all the guys from 'Homicide: Life on the Street' to quit their TV jobs, come back and get busy being the Murder Po-leece solving all the local crimes? Yeah, well ok, laugh if you want, but I really loved that TV show. Excellent acting and better writing than anything else on TV. I think it also kept Baltimore 'front and center' for a lot of us in flyover country who'd otherwise never have considered a visit to Charm City.
I may wait until I see you posting a lot before I visit tho (2+2=4, when Drew posts a lot, no crime spree in Balmer)

Bucko, that passive cellar sounds like the hot ticket. Guess I should say cool ticket in this case.

Good luck to both youse guys in the new locale.

- Drew - 07-28-2002

Zenda, I also loved the tv show Homicide and was in 3 episodes. If you remember the one with the story line that one of the detectives killed himself and his body was recovered floating in the harbor, I was operating the police boat in that scene, and did two other scenes filmed on Baltimore's famous block. Also if you haven't done so already, get and read the book "Homicide" by David Simon. On the fourth page it lists "The Players" and Lt. Gary D'Addario, or as he's better known as "D", as the Shift Commander. In the tv series Lt. Giadello (sp?) is referred to as "G". Well....my boss is Major Gary D'Addario, one and the same! The book and tv series was patterned after he and his shift when he was a Lieutenant in the Homicide Division AND... he played the S.W.A.T. team Lieutenant in the tv series. He's a great guy and boss. He was the Tech consultant for that series and he is currently the Tech consultant for the HBO series "The Wire". I was just consulted for an upcomming scene on "The Wire" to be filmed at the Marine Unit and the Baltimore Harbor, don't know if and when filming will start on that episode.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 07-28-2002).]

- winedope1 - 07-28-2002

sounds great, Guys. Happy to hear you are aall in. I'll look for those episodes, Drew to pick you out- if I ever get to unpacking......

- Bucko - 07-29-2002

Thanks for the well wishes!

- zenda2 - 07-29-2002

Drew,
That is just TOO cool. I've read the book so I know who your boss 'D' is, and I remember the episode with the drowned detective in the bay, later Frank puts on his dress uniform and salutes...I'll watch for you next time. I'm impressed.

Bucko, may the final rehab 5% go smooth as glass.

- Drew - 07-30-2002

Zenda, if you have the book and want to have it autographed by "D", send it to me and I'll take care of it and send it back. Click on my email if you're interested.

Drew

- zenda2 - 07-30-2002

Drew,
Thanks, but I read a copy from the Library.

Just say 'good job' for me, that book and the TV show did him proud IMHO.

- wondersofwine - 07-31-2002

Unfortunately Fort Bragg has been on a homicide spree lately too--domestic cases. They just arrested Joan Shannon for conspiring with a 15-year old kid to have her husband, MAJ David Shannon, killed. I met MAJ Shannon when we both started to back out of a parking space opposite each other at the same time and met in the middle. No permanent harm done to either car (his fan belt was dislodged but he was able to correct it) so we didn't need to do anything further.
It's especially tragic that these cases leave behind children who are now deprived of both father and mother.

- hotwine - 07-31-2002

We've been reading about those tragedies at Bragg, Wow. Don't understand. Lots of marriages crumbled back during 'Nam, and there were occasional suicides due to Dear John letters (I knew two of 'em, a Cpt and an E7, who tried to swallow the muzzles on their M1911s), but don't recall homicides being a problem. The C.O.s and chaplains are missing something there.

- wondersofwine - 07-31-2002

Some say Special Operations Forces are particularly reluctant to seek counseling (from a chaplain or mental health professional) because it appears as a weakness of character and damages their careers. Don't know if that is the case. They have more counseling opportunities and family support groups now than ten or fifteen years ago. Sure hope they can prevent future tragedies like these.

- hotwine - 07-31-2002

I can understand the reluctance to seek couseling....but I've got a problem with what looks like a failure of leadership, that's allowed those troops to suffer in silence, without their peers and C.O.'s becoming aware of the problem. Commanders have got to live inside their troops' heads, be part of them and their families - and not apart from them, which is what this sounds like. I'm passing judgement from afar, but it's got to come down to leadership.

- hotwine - 08-23-2002

I said last month that commanders are missing something in this string of tragedies at Ft Bragg affecting SF families. Looks like a malaria preventive may be the culprit. See http://www.washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20020822-074148-6303r.htm.