WineBoard
Winery restoration - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Winery restoration (/thread-20725.html)

- Thomas - 04-23-1999

Hey guys, I am commissioned by an international magazine out of Italy to write an article on old American wineries that have been restored and are in operation today.

Any ides on who in California fits the bill?

- Kcwhippet - 04-23-1999

There are a lot of obvious ones I'm sure you'll hear about. Try this one (not so obvious)--- Fenestra Winery in Livermore. I used to live out there in Livermore and I always enjoyed visiting Fenestra. The owners are really great people, and the wine isn't too bad. I found a site you can can get more info from.

http://www.dnai.com/~lvwa/lib/fenestra.htm

Good luck,
Bob

- Jerry D Mead - 04-23-1999

Far Niente and Chateau Montelena come instantly to mind...Schramsberg too.

There's a book called Ghost Wineries of California, which will detail some of the oldies never reclaimed.

Oh! And Spring Mountain. There are dozens of other, I'm sure, some of which will come to me.

Speaking of Livermore...I can't think of the name of Sergio Traverso's new winery, but it is definitely in a rurbished winery building (a gorgeous job done by the Wente's too, before Sergio got involved).

- Thomas - 04-23-1999

Thanks. I shall have to look them up and select one. Will be looking into Missouri and New York.

- Kcwhippet - 04-26-1999

The other Livermore winery WC alluded to is the Murrieta's Well Winery. In 1990, Sergio Traverso and Philip Wente restored the old Louis Mel winery built in 1884. Mel planted the vineyards with SB cuttings from Chateau D'Yquem and with Cab and Merlot from Chateau Margaux. The Wentes bought the winery and vineyards from Mel in the 30's and have kept up the vineyards to this day.

- Jerry D Mead - 04-26-1999

KC..Thanks for aiding my fading memory...and if it still serves me at all, there's also a killer old Zinfandel on the property as well.

JDM

- Kcwhippet - 04-26-1999

Yes, indeed. A very nice, unheralded zin from the old Raboli vineyard. If you know Sergio Traverso's style, you'll know the character of the zin. Nicely extracted but not huge, good fruit character. I probably shouldn't have said anything, it might not be as easy to get now.

Bob

- Jerry D Mead - 04-26-1999

There's a new book out called Old Napa Valley, The History to 1900, By Lynn Weber...$14.95, which features a lot of good historic photos.

If you can't find it elsewhere, it is available from Wine Trader Book Services...(800) 845-9463

- Jackie - 04-30-1999

The oldest winery in operation in the U.S. is the BROTHERHOOD Winery in New York, established in 1839. Their web page is on this site.... See www.wines.com/brotherhood

Send email to: BroWinery@worldnet.att.net or telephone (914) 496-9101 and ask for Cesar Baeza, the winemaker. Tell Cesar that his webmistress (better than webmaster) sent you.... Jackie

- Randy Caparoso - 05-01-1999

I don't know - even if I was a woman I'd prefer to be a master rather than a mistress.

My two cents: I love the wild mountain look of Mayacamas Winery, originally built and planted in 1889. For a (solidly) wooden structure, Trefethen has withstood the test of time since the 1886, and John and Janet Trefethen have lovingly maintained it.

Elsewhere in Napa Valley: I can't say I like everything the Coppola family has done with it, but the Inglenook winery has been intact since 1887. Elsewhere, Burgess Cellars on Howell Mt. Rd. was originally erected in 1875. And as Curmudgeon mentioned, the famous Chateau Montelena facade has been up since 1882, and the cellars at Schramsberg were originally carved out by Jacob Schram in the 1860s. Finally, of course, the oldest winery over the hill in Sonoma Valley is Buena Vista (1857).

- Thomas - 05-01-1999

Thanks all.

The idea is not just "old" but restored and still operational. On the National Register is a plus. Schramsberg and Great Western so far fit that bill. I need two more.

Am checking on Brotherhood.

Hey curm, do you know if any old winery from Texas (northern border with New Mexico) is restored and operating today? That is one of the earliest wine spots in the US -- the Mission grape.

- Jerry D Mead - 05-01-1999

I don't, but I'll ask some friends who might.
JDM

- Jason - 05-02-1999

Don't know if these qualify but what about Mirassou, Parducci and Pedroncelli? I'm sure all these has seen some major renovations.

- Jerry D Mead - 05-03-1999

//This is from one of my e-mail buddies//

Jerry - There are at least a half dozen wineries operating in Missouri today that are resurrected from pre-Prohibition days.

Stone Hill, the state's largest now, was the third largest winery in the world at one time.

-Andy @ Riddle's

- Thomas - 05-03-1999

Curm,

I have Stone Hill on my list to look into. Thanks again.

- MoreWines - 11-01-1999

The oldest winery in the City of Livermore,
Ca is Chateau Bellvue built in 1981.
Thomas Coyne Winery uses this building for their tasting room and production of Merlots
and Rhone wines.

51 E. Vallecitos Rd.
Livemore, CA 94550

Call him he would be glad to talk to you.
Also talk to Walter Detjans who owns the
land.He resides on the property.