WineBoard
Off to California - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Off to California (/thread-20685.html)

- Kcwhippet - 02-24-2007

Leaving tomorrow in the ayem for a week full of meetings down in the LA area. I will have some time to visit Brian Loring Tueasday afternoon, but the rest of the week is all meetings. Be back Friday evening. Play nice.

- hotwine - 02-25-2007

Have fun KC. Sorry 'bout the meetings.... have always considered that a form of purgatory.

- winoweenie - 02-25-2007

Glad to know you decided to clean up your act 'afore exposing the participants to the consequences. Have fun and tell Brian we'uns love hims juice. WW

- TheEngineer - 02-26-2007

KC,

I'll be bit north of you back in SF this week as well. If you up to Napa, give me a call.

- californiagirl - 02-27-2007

Hey dad!!

Glad you are going down south. We (T and I) went to Reno for the weekend. The storm that was supposed to hit Monday.. was well "off". Caltrans... I've got no nice words. It took us 11 hours to go from Reno to Roseville. And we literally could NOT exit the freeway b/c when they did eventually plow the thing, they blocked the exit off ramps. It took us 6 hrs just to go 24 miles. Not a pretty site!

- Kcwhippet - 03-03-2007

I'm baaaaack!! It was a good trip, all in all. The meetings were OK, but the trip up to see Brian Loring was really neat. It was a good thing I decided to head up there early in the day, because it was a three hour trip through LA, Ventura, Oxnard, then upp 101 to Rte. 1 into Lompoc. Great visit though. When I walked in there were two other guys with Brian and they were just getting ready to tap some barrels. We all introduced ourselves, and the others were Peter Cargasacchi and Howard Graham (owns Graham Family Vineyards up near Sebastopol and August West with Gary Franscioni) - nice company to be in. Brian spent the next 3 hours getting barrel samples, often doing glass blends like some 667 from Rosella's mixed in the glass with some 115 from Rosella's. All the while, Peter is keeping up a running commentary to me about the vineyards and grapes used to make the wines we were tasting. I was given more info about everything possible with CA and OR PNs than I could possibly digest. Hint for future purchases - the consensus from the three of them was that the 2006 vintage will garner the first 100 point PNs from CA and OR. As examples, look for the 06 Momtazi Vyd PN from Pali as well as Brian's 06 Shea. Anyway, I had a great time - I tasted some awesome wines and met with some wonderful folks.

BTW, I mentioned Verne to Brian, and he definitely knew of him. He said he's the first person on the Loring mailing list that wants cases and cases of his wines.

- winoweenie - 03-03-2007

Glad youse be back Bubba. That's probably the longest 300 mile trip anywhere in the world. Will give you a call as soon as I depart the site. WW