WineBoard
Annointing , putting on the mantle, etc. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Annointing , putting on the mantle, etc. (/thread-20680.html)

Pages: 1 2

- winoweenie - 12-16-2000

Am I the only one to notice that shortly after the annointing by the WS how fast our postings in Collectibles starts getting these strange posts? winoweenie

- hotwine - 12-16-2000

That forum seems to be a magnet for get-rich-quick wannabes who've had jugs of $2 juice rolling around in the trunks of their cars for 20 years. For that reason, I rarely even open it to see what's inside.

- mrdutton - 12-16-2000

What is it you don't open? The jugs of wine rolling around in the trunk of your car or the Collectables Forum.

- hotwine - 12-16-2000

The forum, thanks. The screwtops on all my two-dollar jugs are rusted tight.

- winecollector - 12-16-2000

Go ahead and list them under collectables Hotwine, and see if you get any bites!

- Thomas - 12-17-2000

Just for the record, guys, it is spelled "collectibles," and I haven't opened that forum in over a year.

- Botafogo - 12-17-2000

It could be worse, this is from my friend Phillip White's column in the Adelaide Advertiser (Australia):

"Langton’s Australian Fine Wine Buying and Investment Guide, Fifth Edition, 2000, hot off the press at $25.

Langton’s is Australia’s most prominent wine auctioneer. Its publications boast of it being "both gamekeeper and poacher", as it ranks wine quality according to auction prices. It should have made quite a deal of money selling the winners of Parker’s highest points. But despite the predictability of some of his beatifications, Langton’s system does not forecast them, which must be a bastard. Their grumbling about Australian "crackpots in ten sheds" being regarded as "artisans and cutting edge innovators" by the American cognoscenti doesn’t help.

The reality now is that Langton’s, a wine auctioneer, has established a quality ranking system based upon opportunists selling wine which they had no intention of drinking, while the makers of those wines can buy them back at inflated prices, just coincidentally earning a higher Langton’s rating while they bolster their museum stock. On the other hand, wines so beloved by drinkers that they regard them as far too precious to sell, would never make the lists. This is what we call the free market."

There the fix is REALLY in, Roberto

- Innkeeper - 12-17-2000

Is this a democratic (note the small "d") board or not? It is and should be open to all. If we get bored with "found in cellars" or peeved with "read in WSers" that does not mean they don't deserve the best answer we can give them. If we want to slide the shiv in along the way, what the hay?

- Thomas - 12-17-2000

I admit, IK, to having a particular dislike for that part of the wine business that continues to keep this wonderful product at arms length from the general population by raising it to auctioneering level.

I suppose when steaks and chops are sold at Sotherby's then wine should be included, but until then I refuse to condone wine as an investment topic.

- Botafogo - 12-17-2000

To take to a neutral academic analogy: Can you imagine the sheer contempt mere players like myself have for (mostly Japanese but some others) "collectors" of fine American guitars from the Golden Age who have thousands of great (and irreplaceable) instruments locked in vaults, insured for millions and never even touching them because they are "too expensive to play"??????

- winoweenie - 12-17-2000

Sayanaro Boffofuugo, you will be visited by one uf my trusted Samarai warriors when you spet it leest. Hirowinosheemi

- mrdutton - 12-17-2000

OH BY THE WAY - COLLECTABLES is an alternative, acceptable spelling according to WEBSTER's NINTH NEW COLLEGIATE DICTIONARY 1985 edition of the principal edition of 1983.

I checked BEFORE I used it that way. You will some times see me use favour, flavour, colour and such. All are ENGLISH spellings, but are not AMERICAN. However, both are acceptable alternatives of each other.

I sometimes prefer to use the English versions rather than the American...

- winoweenie - 12-18-2000

Righto, Ole Chap, Ole Bean. Take that Foodie!! WW

- winecollector - 12-18-2000

Guys....guys....guys.... is this a wine page or a spelling bee? Just pour Foodie another glass. Then we won't have to worry about pronounciation, or where the accent make goes either!

- Thomas - 12-18-2000

If any of you were smart you would have noticed my bad spelling in Sotherby's, which is actually Sotheby's, and maybe even doesn't get the apostropheeeeeee.

Dutton, I do not care from dictionaries that bow to the conventional--the word is spelt collectible. In fact, believing in a Collegiate Dictionary is the same as believing in SAT scores--have you met any of those so-called "smart" students? My, oh my, are they in bad shape.

Kidding aside, I do find myself slipping into editor mode every so often. The reason: after hearing from my various editors so often, I need to get some of that stuff off my hairy chest!

- chittychattykathy - 12-19-2000

Si on the '

- mrdutton - 12-19-2000

Some say po-TAH-to, some say pa-TAY-to.

Flavor, flavour, color, colour, collectibles, collectables......

I've always wanted OXFORD's Dictionary of the English Language. My wine budget, however, doesn't allow me to get one.

Now where is that bottle of wine.....? I'm done with the spelling and other such stuff, for now. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 12-19-2000

"Let's call the whole thing off. ..."

- mrdutton - 12-19-2000

As per Winecollector...... "Now where were we?........

Next thread........

- Thomas - 12-20-2000

Sorry Dutton, my age and yours ain't meshing. Let's call the whole thing off are the following words of the song that you paradied--you say neither, I say neyether, you say either, I say eyether; neither, neyether, either, eyether, let's call the whole thing off. ....ww knows this stuff.