WineBoard
The IDIOT Mike Moore - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The IDIOT Mike Moore (/thread-20671.html)

Pages: 1 2

- winoweenie - 03-23-2003

May the breath of a thousand camels persuade his every waking hour. This man made me sad that I've actually paid to see his work. You can bet your sweet bippy not another peso of mine will grace his far jeans. He is the personification of an idiot who thru our system and in spite of his shortcomings made it in this great country. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img] [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img]

- Drew - 03-23-2003

Right on Verne, it's got to be genetic. What is it about actors/film makers that make them publicly speak to politics? At least he's living up to the title of his book.

For those who didn't see his performance, the AP story is below.

Drew

(03-23) 20:09 PST LOS ANGELES (AP) --

A standing ovation and a handful of jeers from Hollywood's elite greeted filmmaker Michael Moore when he criticized President Bush and the U.S.-led war in Iraq during his acceptance speech Sunday after winning the documentary feature Oscar for "Bowling for Columbine."

"We live in fictitious times. We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elect a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man who's sending us to war for fictitious reasons, whether it's the fiction of duct tape or the fiction of orange alerts," Moore said.

Applause gave way to some boos, as the orchestra began to play the filmmaker off the stage.

"We are against this war, Mr. Bush. Shame on you, Mr. Bush. Shame on you," Moore shouted, surrounded onstage by his fellow nominees in a show of solidarity.

"It was so sweet backstage, the teamsters are helping Michael Moore into the trunk of his limo," host Steve Martin joked later.

"Bowling for Columbine" was Moore's satirical exploration of violence in America. The title refers to the fact that gunmen Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold went bowling before they opened fire at Columbine High School in Colorado, killing 12 students and a teacher before turning the guns on themselves.

Asked backstage why he made the remarks, Moore answered: "I'm an American."

"Is that all?" a reporter asked.

"Oh, that's a lot," Moore responded.

He said the Iraqi conflict sends a negative image to the nation's youth.

"What was the lesson that we taught children of Columbine this week? ... That violence is an acceptable means to resolve a conflict," Moore said backstage.

Moore dismissed the jeers, telling reporters: "Don't report that there was split decision in the hall because five loud people booed."

The rotund, scruffy-bearded activist from Flint, Mich., also directed the 1989 documentary "Roger & Me," in which he pursued former General Motors Corp. boss Roger Smith to confront him about the collapse of the auto industry in Moore's hometown.

Moore also is the author of the best-selling book "Stupid White Men ... And Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation," which criticizes American politicians for favoring corporate wealth over public well-being.

Scattered appeals for peace and grim reports from the U.S.-led war in Iraq added a sober contrast to Hollywood's traditional night of glitzy self-glorification at Sunday's Academy Awards.

"In light of all the troubles in this world, I wish us all peace," said Chris Cooper, ending his acceptance speech after winning the supporting actor award for "Adaptation."

Cooper was among several nominees, including Meryl Streep and Martin Scorsese, who wore dove peace pins on their formal wear as a silent statement about the war.

- hotwine - 03-24-2003

We chose to clean out the garage while that nonesense was on. Much more productive (and instructive).

- Innkeeper - 03-24-2003

We chose to sleep with curried eggs and zin in our bellies. Yeah, sleep!

- Georgie - 03-24-2003

He just made himself look like a jerk. I wonder if all those people he dragged up on stage with him knew what he was going to say. I bet they were embarrassed. But regarding the real substance of the Oscars, I didn't see one ugly dress! I thought everybody looked great. and how 'bout that Sean Connery? He just gets better with age like a good bottle of wine!

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 03-24-2003).]

- winoweenie - 03-24-2003

Georgie my designer wife agrees with you 1001%. I've never seen so many georgeous dresses with the exception of the red floozie dress with the black lace sleeves worn by the fat broad. WW

- Botafogo - 03-24-2003

Yes, Michael Moore makes his living (and, probably more important to him, gets his jollies) tweaking the establishment, popping balloons and generally being a nuisance to the status quo. This probably pisses off the great majority of Americans (but does not keep him off the NY Times Best Seller list).

BUT, whether you agree with him or not, the fact that he was not arrested let alone summarily executed for what he did last night is proof positive of one of the very basic freedoms that many of us here (including me, 1st Armored Division, Germany 1975-9) served (and even fought and died) to defend.

As everyone from the founding fathers to various Supreme Court justices have pointed out, freedom of speech is not there to protect popular speech which needs no such champion but to protect unpopular, anti-establishment and even outrageous speech...

Roberto

- Bucko - 03-24-2003

Good point Roberto!

- winedope1 - 03-24-2003

Georgie- nobody ages better than Sean. Tell me I didn't miss him wearing a kilt! WW- I'm curious. I missed the broadcast- do you know who the badly dressed chick was?? Overall, sounds like a mixed review of the program. While I agree that Mr. Moore has the right to express his opinion freely, this was probably not the proper forum, although I'm sure he liked the audience numbers...

- Botafogo - 03-24-2003

The first time I belly laughed after coming back from Brasil where I was stuck for ten days after 9/11 was when we were driving through downtown Beverly Hills and a beat up pick up truck with two dogs in the back piloted by The Last Goat Roper (or HotWine's Brother-in-law, it's all about your point of view) passed us with a bumper sticker that said:

"My other ride is YOUR MOM!"

My friend who was driving shrieked, "You see that, THAT is America, land of the free, home of the brave and game preserve for the endangered yahoo... when we go kick some Al Queda ass the Marines should have that painted on their tanks!"

Freedom ain't pretty, that's the point, Roberto

PS: the "fat broad" was Academy Award winning actress (and a really sweet person, from personal experience) Kathy Bates and, for an over 50 woman of size, she looked MARVELOUS! Verne, if Aretha (Happy Birthday shout-out to the Queen of Soul!) wore that outfit you'd be saying how you always had a thing for big girls...

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 03-24-2003).]

- Botafogo - 03-24-2003

Quick Sean Connery story:

Fifteen years ago when I was running a restaurant popular with celebs in West Hollywood, Mr & Mrs Connery and Michael and Shakira Caine came in dressed to the nines for an early, pre-theatre dinner to celebrate Mrs Connery's Birthday.

Still sitting in the dining room from lunch was a large table with, among others, fighter Mike Tyson, Rappers Tone Loc and Heavy D, soul crooners Al B Sure and Mary J Blige and maybe six or eight mixed race hotties of the type you see in Hip Hop videos or on Soul Train (whose offices were upstairs). Immedeately they start whooping it up with "Licensed to Kill!", "Bond, James Bond" and "Where's Octopussy?"

Sean hands off Micheline to me and tells me to seat the party in their usual corner table and walks up to the table of admiring but out of context fans. You should know that even now I would not want him to hit me and then he was in tip top shape and that, being a lifelong student of dialect, idiom and accents, he was not baffled by their Hip Hop expressions.

So, he walks right up to the table and is towering over the Champ's big ol' head and just letting them take in his imposing presence which shuts them completely up. Then he says very curtly in a crisp command voice, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Mrs and I be chillin' in the corner...THANK you!", turns slowly and walks to his table. The gang of young entertainers was hushed for the next fifteen minutes then Al B Sure had the class to buy a bottle of our best bubbly for the birthday party and the whole crew left.

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 03-24-2003).]

- Georgie - 03-25-2003

That's a great story! Connery is the coolest. No, WD1 he didn't wear a kilt, but it would have looked great with the jacket and shirt he had on. The shirt had a huge white ruffle down the front. Reminded me of the pirate shirt in the Seinfeld episode. But on Sean it looked very sexy! Of course Sean Connery could make a clown costume look sexy!

- hotwine - 03-25-2003

All geezer Connery look-alikes, go hide in the barn.

- wondersofwine - 03-25-2003

I saw a little news item I found to be ironic--that's why it was news I suppose. Justice Scalia was being honored with an award for defending the right of free speech, and he refused to let the awards ceremony be broadcast! The sponsors of the award admitted to being a bit disappointed in his refusal to allow television coverage for C-Span.

- Kcwhippet - 03-25-2003

Doesn't that denote just a little bit of hypocrisy? I have to wonder what possible motivation he may have had.

- wondersofwine - 03-25-2003

The spokesperson for the Supreme Court said that cameras are not allowed in Supreme Court deliberations, etc. and that some of the justices prefer no cameras around them.

- Thomas - 03-25-2003

Placing a face to a name can get the name into an area of having to take responsibility for his/her actions...

- winedope1 - 03-25-2003

thanks for the info and stories, Roberto. I have always thought that he is a class act. Bummer about the kilt, but at least I didn't miss it. Truly a sight to be seen! If you are curious, check out the Avengers movie. He's in full Scottish regalia and my does he wear it well!!

- Botafogo - 03-25-2003

Did you see him open the Scottish Parliment for the first time in hundreds of years a while back? He led the procession in full kilt and clan tartans with both Prime Minister John Majors and the QUEEN trailing behind him...

PS: No matter what you think of rap, was there a more priceless moment than watching the pure dismay and disdain on Barbara Streisand's face when she saw and then had to announce that Em'n'Em had won the Oscar for Best Song??? I LOVED IT!

- winedope1 - 03-25-2003

no, I missed that! hmmmm... Wonder if there's a photo available.?? and re Babs- Whether you like a person/group's style or not, at that level you should be able to control your expression and be gracious.