WineBoard
Horse Racing.....the sport of Nobles? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Horse Racing.....the sport of Nobles? (/thread-20615.html)

- Drew - 05-18-2003

Was at the Preakness yesterday supervising the arrest/prisoner compound area, which was set up across from the Grandstand with the infield, aka Sodom and Gomorrah, between. Got to view 7 hours of 60,000 drunk people urinate on each other, bash one another with beer coolers, cans, fists, feet and whatever. Bare their breasts and other frightening appendages and slop in the mud like pigs. I wish I had thought to bring my camcorder...made the recent televised tape of the high school hazing look like a May Pole dance. Oh what joy, Oh what fun. Did get to see Funny Cide blow the field away though, pretty cool.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 05-18-2003

Haven't been to a major sporting event since 1970 when I took my late father to Yankee Stadium to see a NFL game between the Giants and Redskins. My father almost became late sooner. We had "good" seats, and just about all the folks around us were routing for the same team. Didn't matter. Everytime the Giants did anything good (like scoring a first down) the guy behind us would beat my father over the head with a newspaper. I told him to cut it out. I told his friends to make him stop. I changed seats with my father. He changed seats with his friend. So I stood up all six foot two of me and informed him that if he did it one more time, I would remove his face. Fortunately an usher happened by at the same time, and had security remove the chap. As I said, that was the last time I went to a major sporting event; thirty three years ago. I guess it has gotten worse.

- tandkvd - 05-18-2003

I've never been to the infield of a NASCAR race. But have heard plenty of stories.... Sounds like the Nobles and us Red Necks are not that much different.

- Drew - 05-18-2003

IK, if you're ever in the Baltimore Area when the Orioles are playing at Camden Yards, and have the time, you should try to attend a game. Great stadium and experience. And they don't use hired security, they use the Baltimore Police.

Drew

- Georgie - 05-18-2003

Wow, Drew, sounds horrible. What is with people, anyhow? That's FUN? Ick. NO thanks.

- Drew - 05-18-2003

...and what makes it more incredible and funny is that these imbeciles paid $35 per just to gain entry to the infield. My theory is that the owner of Pimlico, DeFrancis, uses these human wannabes as the side show to the crowd in the Grandstand between races and still makes over 2 million just in the infield.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 05-18-2003).]

- hotwine - 05-18-2003

Incredible! Maybe you could lock the owner up with the slimeballs, since he seems to enjoy their company...

- wondersofwine - 05-18-2003

Drew, made me recall your story about the baseball Eddie Murray hit for his 500th home run. Saw that Palmeiro's 500th was caught by a priest and that his hand was bloodied as people scratched to get it away from him! Fortunately, the father hung on to it and gave it to Palmeiro in exchange for some autographed items!

- Thomas - 05-18-2003

It's "Bread and Circus" all over. Ah, sweet history repeats itself...

- winedope1 - 05-18-2003

gee- I'll stick with working dog shows, thank you!! At least no one is trying to kill anyone else. WD

- Bucko - 05-18-2003

Being the devil's advocate, all civilians are perps, no? Take a look at some of the innocents in Seattle getting maced and clubbed for no reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time...... nothing personal mind you.

- Drew - 05-19-2003

I knew you were one of them!!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] Actually the Seattle WTO debacle came about due to law enforcement inexperience, IMHO. Being close to DC, demonstrations and all, we're pretty experienced and professional with large crowds and unrest. And never use the word "Perp" to describe a Baltimore "Suspect". Perp is a NY slang that needs to stay in NY.

Drew