WineBoard
Preparing for Rita - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Preparing for Rita (/thread-20565.html)

- hotwine - 09-21-2005

Off to the ranch shortly to prepare for Rita Van Der Hoevel (as Rush calls her). Could be the biggest storm to hit the Texas Gulf Coast since 1900. Although our place is about 50 miles inland, this thing could make that distance seem more like 50 ft. Packing waders, waterwings & rubber ducks. And plywood.

- Bucko - 09-21-2005

Hope you are not in a hundred-year flood plain. The damned thing may dump 10-15" of rain wherever it hits. This hurricane season has been insane. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

- hotwine - 09-21-2005

Thanks, same here.

The house is about half a mile from the creek and has withstood several big 'uns since it was built in 1917. Carla pushed water to within 30 yds of the barn, and that was the closest so far.

Got the plywood. Off we go.

- Innkeeper - 09-21-2005

Have fun. It's a good thing all this is not about global warming. As I understand the global warmikng senario, the tropics will get cooler while the rest of us sweat away. Then there will be fewer and not more hurricanes.

- robr - 09-21-2005

IK, where did you hear that? Why would the tropics get cooler? That sounds wrong to me.

Last year I had three major hurricanes come through my back yard. I live in the center of Florida, which is the highest part of the state. I don't want to see any more, though. What a mess they make! I lost two trees, and my new house started springing leaks. HW, you need to get all your stuff and head north as far as you can go. But you know that. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by bernkastler (edited 09-21-2005).]

- hotwine - 09-21-2005

Back home in time for supper of pasta and Villa Rossa Barolo. No problems so far.

- winoweenie - 09-22-2005

Keeping my fingers crossed for youse Gil ole' bean. Talked to my Bro-in-Law when we got home last nite. They have evacuated to Houston and are keeping EVERYTHING crossed as their house is on the Bolivar Peninsula, 3rd row. Glad we withdrew our offer on the house before we left last week. WHEW!!!!! CB would have killed me. WW

- wondersofwine - 09-22-2005

Good luck. Texas and possibly Louisiana will need some divine intervention to prevent another catastrophe. Looks like the oil refineries are in the storm's way too.

- hotwine - 09-22-2005

Good move, WW. We're hearing Galveston may look like Mobile Bay in a few days.

Wonders, there are 22 refineries at risk in that area. Loss of production of refined products will have a predictable and dramatic affect on commodities markets over at least the next week, maybe far beyond.

- Georgie - 09-22-2005

We sure could use a miracle. Stay safe.

- Bucko - 09-22-2005

Looks like the damned thing is turning more towards the TX-LA border. It doesn't look like the San Antonio area will get much more than a gully washer. Good news for you, bad news for Galveston, Beaumont, Port Arthur and Lake Charles.

Carole's parents are scheduled to fly in to the Houston airport on Monday -- it may be non-operational!