WineBoard
Your Easter (or Passover) Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Your Easter (or Passover) Wine (/thread-20542.html)

Pages: 1 2

- wondersofwine - 04-17-2003

I'm going for a pinot noir again (David Bruce last year) but this time I think it will be a Ponzi Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley.

- ShortWiner - 04-17-2003

We had Thomas Mitchell Red with our pot roast last night. Yummy, and we drank a lot. Heck of a holiday, Passover. You're required to drink at least 4 glasses of wine and to slump in your chair. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Georgie - 04-18-2003

We're having grilled lamb, so at the suggestion of the kind people on the board I'll be bringing a Shiraz or Cotes du Rhone. Maybe both, since we're all newbie wine drnkers and that way we'll get a chance to do some tasting. (That's Drew's idea.)

- winoweenie - 04-18-2003

Doing some rib-eyes on the grille so we'll (I'll) probably break out a red of some kind whilst CB has a SW. WW

- randery - 04-18-2003

Unoaked, Australian chard or pinot grigio with shrimp, pinot noir for the turkey and, with the lasagna, valpolicella.

- wondersofwine - 04-18-2003

ShortWiner,
Rabbi Levanon at Beth Israel in Fayetteville, twice in past years led my Episcopalian church through the Seder meal so that we would appreciate the customs and symbolism of the bitter herbs, etc. (Only he left out the part about being required to drink four glasses of wine.) He is a wonderful gentleman with a great sense of humor and deep knowledge of Judaism. He participated (along with our female priest, a Greek Orthodox priest, an iman of the local Muslim community and a lay member of our church) in leading sessions when we did a "Genesis" study based on the Bill Moyers' PBS series. Later, I attended some sessions at Beth Israel on the Jewish forefathers and the Holocaust remembrance.
March 22 of this year I attended my first Jewish wedding. My nephew's bride is Jewish. It was a moving ceremony and the parties before and after the ceremony were really fun. Enjoyed dancing to Hava Nageela (sp?) I can parrot some of the words to the song from listening to Harry Belafonte sing it on an old 33 1/3 rpm record that I used to own. I'm assuming you had dancing after your wedding too?

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 04-18-2003).]

- Georgie - 04-20-2003

Bought a Rosemount Shiraz and a Louis Bernard Cotes du Rhone for the grilled lamb dinner. Sister and I liked the Shiraz better; brother-in-law liked the CdR. And of course we enjoyed some Porto with dessert!

- Drew - 04-22-2003

Went to Mom in Laws and brought a Marquis-Phillips shiraz after being told the ham was heavy encrusted with brown sugar. The wines caramel and vanilla nuances matched beautifully with the ham.

Drew

- hotwine - 04-22-2003

Good call, Drew. I've yet to try that one.

- winoweenie - 04-22-2003

HW...........TRYIT YOU'LL LIKEIT! Their whole line-up is excellent. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 04-22-2003

Opened a 99 Scheutz Oles Korte Zin. Went well with the ham and kielbasa. Pleasant surprise.

- wondersofwine - 04-22-2003

Had the 2001 Ponzi Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley and it also matched nicely with ham in a honey glaze and sliced pineapples. The wine is similar to Dananne's description of the 1999 version--prominent cherries, some forest or pine needle overtones, smooth tannins, drinking nicely now. The pinot noir reserve needs more time in bottle.

- ShortWiner - 04-23-2003

WOW,
Well, some say 4 sips, some 4 glasses; I'm with the latter camp. Sounds like you've had a pretty good religious education--I'm actually half and half, so I get the best of both worlds. We did a lot of the Jewish rituals at our wedding, including Havah Nagilah (we can't agree on spellings any more than we can on wine). Probably my favorite celebratory tradition is lifting the key people up on a chair and dancing around with them. My wife and I went first, then our parents. There are some great pictures of them hanging on for dear life. My wife's father waved to the crowd from on high like a politician. It was great!

- wondersofwine - 04-23-2003

ShortWiner,
Yes, they did the chair lift first with Steve and Leah (groom and bride). Later they did it with my sister and brother-in-law (groom's parents) and they look petrified. My sister was clutching the chair and they did almost drop my brother-in-law. Also had Steve stomp on the glass (wrapped in protective cloth) and bride and groom circle each other three times (Leah's dress had a long train so Steve had to go quite a distance to circle her without stepping on the train). I liked the kitubah (sp?) signing ceremony before the wedding. They had a man dressed like Teyve in "Fiddler on the Roof" leading the dancing.
It was all a wonderful weekend. Two teachers from Leah's elementary school almost got arrested leaving off wedding gifts at her parents' home and setting off the security alarm accidentally. Two police cars and a friend of the family converged on the scene.
I was guilty of one faux pas. My sister knew what all was to occur during the ceremony but I wasn't clued in. As we were waiting for the bridal procession I got worried that the front row seats were filling up without leaving designated seats for the parents of bride and groom so I made it my business to save four front row seats. Turned out that both couples stood throughout the ceremony as sponsors of the bridal couple so those four prime seats remained empty. Had to apologize afterwards to one couple that moved from front row to third row because of my concerns.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 04-23-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 04-23-2003

WOW, we rolled through your town yesterday and tried to contact you at the Ft Bragg library. The head librarian wasn't sure who you were, and tried to connect to to whom she suspected, but there was no answer, and had to press on. Sorry.

For all: We will be home on Sunday.

- Georgie - 04-23-2003

and not a minute too soon, IK!

- ShortWiner - 04-24-2003

It sounds like a great celebration, WOW. We did many similar things--breaking the glass, etc.--but also mixed it up with other things--Christian rituals and stuff we made up. Lots of music. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Georgie - 04-24-2003

I love that "stuff we made up." At a teacher friend's wedding a couple of weeks ago they did something new (to me at least) that I thought was very nice. Instead of that barbaric garter removal and throwing of bouquet and garter, they got all the married couples onto the dance floor, and had couples sit as they called numbers of anniversaries celebrated. One-year married, two years married, etc., until finally all that was left was the couple married the longest. To that "bride" they presented the bouquet. No garter for the Mister. It was refreshingly civilized!

- wondersofwine - 04-24-2003

IK, I work at the Special Warfare Center Library--you probably were in contact with the Post Library (where I used to work). Sorry I missed your call.

- Duane Meissner - 05-14-2003

I don't care much for the kind of music and dancing they have at weddings these days... praying it's alright with the bride I have yet to find, I would like to have a madrigal feast for my wedding reception complete with whole roasted pig, jug wine, costumes, and early music consort.
Being a recorder player myself, I would woo the woman of the hour with a tune.

DM