WineBoard
Well today we get our yearly fix of the gorgeous - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Well today we get our yearly fix of the gorgeous (/thread-20521.html)

- winoweenie - 02-17-2007

Jane Monheidt in concert. BRW and his lovely
better AND I does mean better, along with my grand-daughter her hubby and 3 other couples are gathering via limousine at BRWs' home where he is grilling some steaks and fixins. I sent over some Mags of 97 and found an orphan of a Stony Hill 1989 Chardonnay that is probably a dead soldier. The only salvation is the Stonys are known for their ability to age. Could get lucky. Back in 82 Mrs. McRae took me into the barn on their lovely hillside property and opened a bottle of 65 that was without a doubt the best SW that has ever passed these lips. Anywhoos there are some pretty good reds to back this hummer up that I'll give a hazy report on tomorrow. The Limo arrives at 4. Life be good. WW

- winoweenie - 02-18-2007

Mite as well use this post to comment on the evening. 1st of all the Stony Hill Chard was TREMENDOUS!!! Deep gold. Nose of flowers and fruits. The mouthfeel was oliy and full. Violets and honeysuckle hit the tongue along with peaches, apricots, and a touch of vanilla. The finish was a solid 4-lapper.What a way to start the nite. Next came the mag of 97 Silver Oak. The best balanced S.O I've experienced. Medium deep ruby. with no hint of orange. Flowers, red fruits and a bit of cassis and cocoa on the nose and all come over on the mouth. Silky entry, solid center and a solid 4+ lapper finish. Next we had the mag of 97 White Rock. My first experience with this producer but found out this 97 was the #1 wine of the vintage in Wine and Spirits Mag. Deserved the press. Deep ruby with some tar, tobacco, spices, and loars of red fruits. All hit the palate at full throttle. Anothwer 4+ lapper. Next was to be a mag of 97 Insignia. Upon examination found the weener had pulled a mag of the 01 out of the bin. Not wishing to commit infanticide BRW lulled a couple of bottles from his cellar. By this time my memory got slightly fuzzy and for the life of me I cant bemember the vintage on the Anderson Conn Valley or even the name of the last bottle which accompanied the perfectly grilled 2" filets BRW so generously provided. Then it was off to the concert which was beautifully programmed and presented. Man Alive, can that girl sing! She's put on at least 25-30 since last time she was here. We all suspect she is a Mom now./ Will look it up when I put this to bed. Can assure you they kept the old boy up WAY past his bedtime, but it was well woth it. Good food, Good wine, and most of all, GOOD FRIENDS. Life is good. WW

- bigredwines - 02-18-2007

Our last two bottles were "97" Anderson Conn eloge' at a 4 plus lapper and our last bottle was a "97" Katherine Kennedy cabernet.This was my first experience with this producer.excellent bottle and another 4 Lapper finish. Last night was the night of the 97's. Great vintage, Great evening ,Great friends.

[This message has been edited by bigredwines (edited 02-18-2007).]

- newsguy - 02-18-2007

...and a great report. thanks, gentlemen.

i sure miss life out West. any chance you know of a newspaper out there in need of a good editor?

have wine, will travel.

[img]http://wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 02-18-2007).]

- Kcwhippet - 02-18-2007

Used to really like Kathryn Kennedy. She made a really great Cab in the less than stellar 1989 vintage, and I picked up two cases of that beauty. Haven't bought any since 97 for no reason I can think of.

- brappy - 02-19-2007

Great notes; even the SW. Always nice when every bottle is great.......

- winoweenie - 02-19-2007

Yeppo the 18 year-old SW was a show-stopper.
Knew from experience that it had a chance as I'd experienced a 21 year old Stony that the McRaes' opened for me but 89 was such a spotty vintage I was somewhat dubious. Shows youse can never judge a book wif-out readin it. WW

- TheEngineer - 02-20-2007

GREAT NOTES!!! Trust me, this was the highlight of my night here in Calgary......then Regina, Edmonton, and Saskatoon......

I can just imagine the experience.

- Georgie - 02-20-2007

Glad you had such a wonderful evening, WW! I love those CD's you sent me and play them often.

- wondersofwine - 02-20-2007

Sounds like such fun!