WineBoard
NYC question for Foodie (and others) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: NYC question for Foodie (and others) (/thread-20476.html)

- dananne - 08-23-2004

Though I'm asking Foodie, anyone can feel free to answer this . . .

Anne is taking her mother to NYC next month for a late Mother's Day gift. Her mother has never been, and it's always been something she's wanted to do. I know that they'll be "doing it up" at some of the nice (read: pricey) restaurants, but they both really like Italian. What's your overall favorite Italian restaurant and your favorite little "hole-in-the-wall" Italian restaurant?

I know they're staying in Midtown on Central Park. If I need to be more specific as to location, I can ask her.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

- Thomas - 08-23-2004

Two of my favorites are within walking distance from each other, on Hudson between Perry and Jane Streets.

Valdino West is one of them but I cannot remember the name of the other right now.

In Little Italy, Angelo's is still a good restaurant--not as good as it once was, but still good.

I don't know many up the Central Park way, but make sure they stay away from Mama Leone's and that sort of kitsch.

There is another old style restaurant on 1st Ave between 11 and 12 Streets, I believe. It's called Lanza's. The food is good--even some of the wines--and the ambience makes you want to sit with your back to the wall: great place.

Also in the East Village, East 4th Street between Ave A and 1st: Assenscio. Really good food and the guy who manages it is also a salesman for Italian wines. His name is Fosco--he is truly one of the best people in the wine and food business. The boar served here is phenomenal.

- hotwine - 08-23-2004

Mama Leone's... think that was the joint I visited in '78 (setting for the "Godfather" scene?). Over-hyped, even then; the food and wines were only mediocre.

- wondersofwine - 08-24-2004

On the expensive end of the scale is I Trulli (www.itrulli.com) between Park and Lexington on East 27th. Features Puglian cuisine and extensive winelist. I've had it in mind to try it (or visit the wine bar) but haven't yet done so and it could get very expensive if you go for appetizers, entrees and dessert and wine. Looks attractive however.

Foodie,
I forgot to say that I loved boar meat in Germany (and at an Austrian restaurant in Pacific Grove, CA that is no longer in business). I may have to try that Assenscio next time I'm in NYC. Don't know when that will be. Possibly the weekend before Thanksgiving if I don't go to Charlotte that weekend.

- hotwine - 08-24-2004

Interesting, Wonders. Would you believe that some wild boar on the menus of restaurants in Germany came from Texas? We've got such a problem with wild hogs on our ranch that we allow a neighbor to live-trap them, and that's where he sends them. The confounded critters are crawling all over central and south Texas. Destructive as all get-out. Most are probably feral animals, descended from domestics that escaped from farms and ranches over the last couple of centuries, that now simply roam wild. Not bad when barbecued properly, if taken at 60 lb or less, but a big one of 300+ is usually tough as one of my old boots.

- Thomas - 08-24-2004

I Trulli--ah yes. Great food and wine but charges a veritable fortune to enjoy them. I did it once.

HW, that is interesting about the Germans importing boar meat from Texas. I figured they used European boar meat but who knew.
That restaurant in Pacific Grove, Ca (originally Old Europe and then moved across the street into a Victorian house and called it Gernot's) had rabbit and boar on the menu. Also mushroom balls coated in a light airy batter and then deep fried (but not greasy). The first time I had the mushrooms at Old Europe I told the waitress they tasted like the fried mushrooms in the Kitzbuhel region of Austria (encountered on ski trips when I lived in Germany). She said "The owner/chef is from Kitzbuhel" and brought Gernot out of the kitchen to meet us. Small world when you can identify the hometown of the chef from biting into an appetizer! (I wish I were equally clairvoyant in blind-tasting wines).

- hotwine - 08-24-2004

That's well-traveled, Wonders, when you can identify the origin of fried mushrooms to a resort in Austria! Never got to Kitzbuhel, only Garmisch and Berchtesgarten. Busted my butt enough on the slopes at those two.

- wondersofwine - 08-25-2004

I busted my butt at many ski resorts in Austria and Switzerland and even France as well as Garmisch. Visited Berchtesgaden but not for skiing. My favorites (for beginner and intermediate slopes) were the "Ski Circus" of Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Austria and Davos, Switzerland.

- dananne - 08-27-2004

Thanks to Foodie and all for the input. I'll let you know which one(s) Anne picks, and how she enjoyed her meal(s)!