WineBoard
tsunami disaster relief - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: tsunami disaster relief (/thread-20452.html)

Pages: 1 2

- newsguy - 01-06-2005

just wanted to direct everyone's attention to a posting on, gulp, another board.

to see a post about wine auctions for tsunami disaster relief:
http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=9306023451&f=7986076161&m=924109052

or you can go straight to wine commune and see all the tsunami relief auctions:
http://www.winecommune.com/search/searchResults.cfm?first=1&searchText=tsunami

my two auctions, a 3-bottle 1999 italian horizontal and a 3-bottle lot of 93-point aussies, go to:
http://www.winecommune.com/lot.cfm/lotID/784816.html

and
http://www.winecommune.com/lot.cfm/lotID/784817.html.

please consider opening up your wallets, pocketbooks and cellars. if i can, anybody can.

keith

- TheEngineer - 01-06-2005

That's an interesting way of donating. I'm glad everyone is doing what they can. The people in those areas need all the aid that they can get right now.

Please give and if possible, give again. I sent mine through Red Cross. Unicef will focus directly on the Children.

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 01-06-2005).]

- Innkeeper - 01-07-2005

We contributed to Catholic Relief Services (www.crs.org). Their current goal is $25 Million. They have had people on the ground in India, and Sri Lanka from the gitgo, and have since moved into other areas.

- Georgie - 01-07-2005

We are donating through school to UNICEF. Thank you for the postings on wine related donation opportunities.

- winoweenie - 01-07-2005

Have no idea what happened to my earlier post. CB and I made direct donations to the Red Cross and I'm trying to organize a wine auction here in Phoenix in conjunction with my local pusher. WW

- Kcwhippet - 01-07-2005

ww, It's over in the thread in the Collectibles folder. In that reply, you said you and CG were contributing. I was going to question that, but then I figured it was just the usual fat fingers at work.

- wondersofwine - 01-07-2005

Newsguy, check my question under this heading in "Collectibles"

- Bucko - 01-07-2005

Okay, don't bite my head off and call me an ogre and give me a lecture on right and wrong, but does anyone have a problem with "aiding and abetting the enemy?" These are Muslim countries who hold no love for us whatsoever.

- newsguy - 01-07-2005

bucko: i understand where you're coming from, but i obviously have no problem with helping these folks. we're talking about very poor people who had been devastated. they're not my enemy.

- TheEngineer - 01-07-2005

This is not a lecture nor is it a finger waging speech on right or wrong, but:

50,000 dead children are not my enemy.
Thousands of orphans are not my enemy.
Suffering people who hold no ill will against me are not my enemy.

Humanity is not my enemy.

BTW, India, Thailand, Somolia, Kenya are not Muslim countries.

The world's two largest Muslim countries - Indonesia and Malaysia, are solidly democratic and both in recent elections have voted to remain secular, refusing to add religion into the government.

Even the Tammils and the Indonesians can put down a 3 decade old conflict to help each other out.

It is in times like these that we should get together and put aside our differences. It is sad enough that many feel that they often need calamities such as these to join together. It is more said when these opportunities are missed.

I claim no political affiliation. I claim no religious bacground. I believe in humanity and it is humanity that we are now trying desparately to save.

I respect a difference of opinion. However, I hope you respect mine and I am going to help.

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 01-07-2005).]

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 01-07-2005).]

- Bucko - 01-07-2005

"I respect a difference of opinion. However, I hope you respect mine and I am going to help."

I have no difference of opinion -- I'm just throwing out a point for thoughtful discussion, not flag waving or heart tugging. I have real mixed emotions, especially after serving in Desert Storm.

It is the "Christian" thing to do, but remember, Jesus was crucified by his own people.

The U.S. has a long history of being dupes. We give money to people in one hand while they stab us in the back with the other.

That said, my wife and I have already given generously, but I did so with mixed emotions, wondering if I funded a RPG to be used against our troops.

- TheEngineer - 01-08-2005

Knowing where your aid goes one of the biggest problems when helping out countries. That is why I generally only donate to very structured organizations that I trust.

Recall in Africa (Somalia), aid was sent in the format of food but while much was sent, very little got past the Warlords to the people.

I'm hoping that this is very much a different situation.

Also, perhaps the outpouring of support to many of these muslim countries will demonstrate to those that can still be influenced in the Arab world, that the US is not as they perceive.

Generally I try to stay away from posting these but when I do, I also want to put down the tone in which the note should be read. In the above, the tone was certainly supposed to be quiet humble. I'm glad that you got that without me mentioning it.

- hotwine - 01-08-2005

We've also ponied up but with Bucko's misgivings. Hoping it doesn't all get ripped off and that at least half of it reaches the victims.

- Drew - 01-08-2005

We're still investigating where to donate. Unfortunately this tradegy opens the doors for much evil and deception given the large amounts of emotional monies donated, temptation and opportunity.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 01-08-2005

That's why we gave to CRS. They have 6% overhead, had people on the ground in place, and they work closely with Save The Children, Doctors Without Borders, and other agencies.

- winoweenie - 01-08-2005

Our donation went to the Red Cross where, by audit, 92% of the funds go to the designated charity. WW

- wondersofwine - 01-10-2005

International Rescue Committee was already working with wartorn Sumatra. A reliable agency helping refugees and displaced persons around the world.

- Georgie - 01-10-2005

I like this quote from Roberto Clemente, who was tragically killed on his relief mission to the earthquake victims of Nicaragua:"Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth."

UMCOR, the United Methodist Committee on Relief, gives 100% of designated donations directly to relief. Administrative costs are obtained through other means through the church. It's a very reliable place to donate. Here are their instructions on how to donate.

"Please give to UMCOR Advance #274305 and designate "South Asia Emergency" on the memo line of your check. Give through your local United Methodist church or mail contributions to: UMCOR, 475 Riverside Dr., Room 330, New York, NY 10115. Call 1-800-554-8583 to make a credit card donation or donate online at MethodistRelief.org. One hundred percent of every donation to this appeal goes to support recovery efforts in the disaster-stricken regions."

- hotwine - 01-10-2005

UMCOR looks sqeeky-clean. We like the idea of zero overhead costs for this relief effort, so it's the channel we selected, too.

- winoweenie - 01-11-2005

Sorry Newsie but the derned bidding closed 4 minutes before I locked on. WW