WineBoard
Having been on sabbatical for the last 2 weeks - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Having been on sabbatical for the last 2 weeks (/thread-20447.html)

- winoweenie - 01-21-2008

I can assure you I've lost 14 days. The only thing that makes it halfway tenable is listening to music in the early AM. This morn it's Mark Murphy sings "King Cole". This is one talented dude, who like The King, not only sings with style and precision but plays the daylights outta' piano. WW

- winoweenie - 01-23-2008

Well BRW and I decided tomorrow ends this version of our sabbatical. Thunk him may have slid off earlier than moi but HOO-HAH!!! I'll be guzzling some juice at lunch tomorrow. WW

- wondersofwine - 01-23-2008

Happy for you WW. Don't drown your liver the first day!

- winoweenie - 01-24-2008

Instead of taking some of the old juice today I've decided to take the new Santa Cruz Mtn Vineyard releases so I can decide what to reorder. They sent a Tinto Cao. Sounds interesting. Report to follow. WW

- winoweenie - 01-24-2008

Sorry WOW I forgotted to say " Done' worry I'm only taking 4 bottles " WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- dananne - 01-24-2008

That Tinto Cao sounds intriguing. Oddly, some of it is being grown by the local wineries here in GA, and some feel that it may find a home here much like Touriga did. From what I understand, the same thing is true farther up the Appalachians in VA, too.

Speaking of Portugal, there are some tremendous table reds coming out of there, sometimes by the Port houses, that offer stunning bang for the buck. They're worth exploring. In fact, we're cracking a Nieport Vertente Douro from '03 tomorrow night. Of course, notes will follow.

I look forward to hearing about the Santa Cruz Mtn wine.

- winoweenie - 01-25-2008

Well the 4 wines we took were the 04 Tinto Cao. Definately a food wine. Aromas of strawberry and blueberries with loads of floral hints and high acidity. 12 bucks with the max wine club discount. Next came the 05 Grenache. Made from vines over 100 years old planted in the McDowell Valley these small berry, intense grapes, produce some killer wines. Nose highlites berries,straw-blue-and black, with ground black pepper and cinnamon framed around loads of floral notes. Really good stuff. 14.40 WC. Next we did the 04 Wine Club Pinot. Made from 20 year old vines from the Santa Cruz Mtns. this is definately a wione drinkers Pinot. Lots of stuff going on but definately accessible now and should improve somewhat with 24. Berries, cherries, and roses on the nose and the palate gives all of these plus some forest floor. 27.20 WC. Lastly was the 03 SCM Pinot. The last vintage from their original vineyard (Jarvis) these 30 year old vines had become extremely shy-bearing so the vineyard was sold in 04 and the new owners completely re-planted. This 03 SCMV Pinot has it all. This incredible property produced some profound Pinots and even tho this was blended with some juice from a nearby vineyard the end result is one kick-patootie bottle of juice. Decanted for 14 hours then poured back into the bottle the nose was huge. While pouring into the decanter my family room was filled with black cherries, exotic spices, earth and flowers. The decanting gives some idea of the ageing potential of this beauty. 10-15 will bring a wealth of riches. Fun day and what a way to end a sabbatical! 30.40 WC.Oh by the by for you number fellers, the Cao was 12.5%, the Grenache was 13.5% the 04 Piont was 14.4% and the 03 Pinot was 12.5%. Am reordering the last 3 wines today. WW

- hotwine - 01-25-2008

Hmmm... not re-ordering the Cao?

- winoweenie - 01-25-2008

Done need any sippers bubba! Got loads of neat stuiuf that needs drinkin' WW

- dananne - 01-25-2008

Great notes, and the '03 Pinot sounds especially fantastic! A nice welcome back, I imagine.