WineBoard
Hi everyone! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Hi everyone! (/thread-20439.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Glass_A_Day - 11-15-2002

I'll drink wine from anywhere. Doesn't much matter where it comes from. Hey, for years rapists and murderers made the license plates I put on my cars. It doesn't mean I support their actions because I mount their handy work blatently on the front and back of my vehicle. Just means I need a licnese plate. On that note I need good wine. But come on, don't even try to compare an act like helping some tourists who missed their connections on 911 to bailing out a country's economy. How can you type that with a straight face. That's like borrowing a cup of sugar and then a week later the person you borrowed it from asks to borrow your 40 ft sail boat. Not quite on the same level. And yes, war always costs lives. But the few for the many right? I know I would go. No questions asked. If everyone felt this way when intervention was needed throughout history, this country would not be here today. Back when my grandfather was my age, people were lining up to sign up for a cause like this. Now people are lining up to protest. To those people I say, without war, your silky soft hands and Eddie Bauer shower curtain wouldn't even be here if not for war from time to time. How quickly generations forget. People get spoiled and soft. Then they have too much time on their hands and start to question their leaders, because hey why not, they know more than the president. We live in the greatest country in the world. I am damn proud of it. It is far from perfect, but still leagues ahead of anywhere else in this crazy world. Why, because we made it this way. Not luck. I trust my president to keep it this way. Once again, all this IMHO. Also, I read back a bit and found that I would put faith in the Christian Coalition? Actually I am athiest. I do apologize for any name calling. I didn't see where I did, but if I did I'm sorry. That gets nothing acomplished. As foodie said, people come off nasty when defending their political beliefs. I would love to see the difference in this debate if it were about vintages. It would probably end up in a tasting and a lot of relaxed smiles. I am new here and have probably irritated those of you on the other side of this debate, so I will drop out now. I apologize again.

[This message has been edited by Glass_A_Day (edited 11-15-2002).]

- Thomas - 11-15-2002

I am sorry to say, Glass_A_Day that your post before the one above makes some wide assumptions while it also skews some facts.

Not that I have a particular bent on the matter of should we start a war or shouldn't we--I do not presume to have all the facts to make such a decision--but I know these facts: nations other than Iraq are also building or have nuclear warheads; our own CIA says there is no conclusive evidence that Iraq had anything to do with bin Laden; only one nation on earth has ever used an atomic weapon.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-15-2002).]

- Glass_A_Day - 11-15-2002

Foodie, thank God we did use an atomic weapon in Japan. If not, so many more lives would be lost. We do have conclusive evidence that the terrorists were in contact with Iraq before 911. Atta even dined with Saddam. I wonder what wine they enjoyed that fine evening as they talked about....what, maybe sports? I don't presume to have all the facts either, that's why I trust my elected officials who do. Finally, yes other nations are developing weapons. But they are not run by an insane dictator like Saddam.

- Thomas - 11-16-2002

Knowing Saddam's secular bent, I am sure wine was on the table--but then, he also is a health freak (his own, not his people's) so maybe he is against alcohol.

Atta's visit to Iraq is in dispute, but even so, there is no evidence that Iraq had anything to do with the attack on WTC. In fact, Iraq is an arch enemy to Saudi Arabia and, from the evidence presented: all but one of the highjackers were Saudi (one was Egyptian); most of the funding came from Saudi wallets. Also, our nation has no clue where Osama and his second in command are hiding. The war on Iraq seems our way of producing a weapon of mass "distraction" from the above facts.

Re, Japan; I agree with your assessment, but that does not preclude the rest of the world from wondering why we should have the moral authority on the matter. Are we saying to the world that only America has the right and the moral strength to own and threaten with nuclear warheads. Also, North Korea is run by someone equally, or possibly more, insane than Saddam. NKorea has nuclear capability; why not attack now? True, NKorea hasn't any oil, but let's not raise any distractions!!!

On a lighter side, being part of the neighborhood where wine was born, Iraq might be a nice feather in our wine cap--perhaps after we overrun the country we can make it over by planting vineyards along the once grape fertile land near the Euphrates and Tigres Rivers. The wine history of the area, of which I am a student, is vast and extraordinary.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-16-2002).]