WineBoard
HELP!!! I'm up to my *ss in snow! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: HELP!!! I'm up to my *ss in snow! (/thread-20384.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- winedope1 - 02-27-2003

sorry, Drew. you win. I feel really bad. Right now Im just freezing, not slipping and sliding too. May be we can steal some of that southern sunshine for the East Coast! ; )

- winoweenie - 02-27-2003

WHOODA' ebber thunk Drewa' SSs' would warrant a triple?ww [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Drew - 02-27-2003

The forecast is for another 10" tonight which would break the All Time Record for Maryland, 63+" in a winter. Whoop, Whoop , Whoop.

Drew

- Georgie - 02-27-2003

I don't want to play this game anymore! WAAAAAAA!

- winedope1 - 02-27-2003

I have had enough!! At least we haven't had a lot of HBP and HBS traumas this winter. ( thats hit by plow and hit by shovel to you). No kidding- these really happen.

- Drew - 02-28-2003

Well the worst of this wave is over with and it's no big deal, maybe 6". I hate to say it but it looks nice, freshened up the dirty snow we had from last week.

Drew

- winedope1 - 02-28-2003

Drew- isn't that the nicest thing about a fresh sprinkling of the white stuff? Cleans up all of the dirty leftovers.

- winoweenie - 02-28-2003

You two hummers are easily amused. Jes' think , in a couple of months you ken watch the grass grow. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]WW

- winedope1 - 03-01-2003

WW- what a fresh thing to say! We' will enjoy watching the grass grow while you all are bakin' in the summer sun! ; )

- Drew - 03-02-2003

Bake? He doesn't come out until after sunset.

Drew

- mrdutton - 03-02-2003

HBP and HBS remind me of a true story.

A friend outside of Buffalo was getting darn tired of replacing mail boxes. The plows they use up in his part of the country are multi-bladed units with a side blade that is hydraulically actuated. The operator, when plowing the country roads is supposed to lift the side plow whenever he comes to a mail box. This way the mail boxes along side the road do not get destroyed.

Year after year of snow plowing, the guy doing the road in front of Ken's house never bothered to lift his side plow. Ken was getting tired of replacing mail boxes and posts. He'd complained to the city on a number of occasions, but they didn't take any action or just "lost" his complaints.

Ken works at a steel plant. Ken brought home a 6" diameter steel pipe about 10 feet long. He buried a good number of feet, filled the pipe with concrete and then mounted his mail box on the top of the pipe. The post office had no complaint, they were able to get to the mail box. The style of post is not important as far as the post man is concerned.

Next winter along comes the snow plow. Dumb operator did not lift the side plow. Side plow hits the post. Post stands and does not budge one bit. Side plow and associated hydraulics bend and snap and break. Resulting torque placed on the truck spins it off the road into the drainage ditch alongside the roadway. The driver is not hurt, just very surprised.

The broken down truck and pieces of snow plow remained alongside the road for a few months until the city could get a big enough tow rig in there to haul the truck out of the ditch.

Now when the plow goes by on the road where Ken lives, the side plow gets lifted for every mail box!

True story!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 03-02-2003).]

- hotwine - 03-02-2003

Good story, Mike, one I can appreciate. We've got some kids around here with 4X4's who like to run over mailboxes. To guard against that, I used 6" well casing as the post and welded a sheet of 1/4" steel plate on the bottom, which is buried a foot in the ground. If the post were to be knocked over, the plate will emerge to rip out the oil pan of the offending vehicle. So far, so good, after 10 years.

- Drew - 03-02-2003

The kids around here like to ride close to the mailboxes and take the box out with a baseball bat. They don't like my box cause they can't get a good run at it as I'm the last house on a dead end street. I'll have to think of some good ideas to help my neighbors. Any thoughts?

Drew

- Georgie - 03-05-2003

Good grief! We're in for it again tonight! 3"-5" expected. ENOUGH ALREADY!

- winedope1 - 03-06-2003

NOT happy!! had a 10 hour day and then had to clear about another 7-8 inches of snow off my truck before venturing out onto the highway with all the loonies who still can't drive in the snow. When will it end?? Looking sadly at my bags of bulbs and waiting for the thaw. In the meantime, a fillet of beef with baby 'bella mushrooms and a bottle of
William Hill cab await. Hope all are safe and sound!! WD

- Drew - 03-07-2003

So sorry you're still gettin' pounded, we're having a taste of spring this weekend (mid to high 50's), so we're off to the beach for some eatin', drinkin'and antiquein'.

Drew

- Georgie - 03-07-2003

Yesterday was just hellish. We had every kind of nasty winter weather. Each time I looked out of the window something new was going on...wind, rain, hail, sleet and finally snow. I was glad to get home off the treacherous roads only to find that the snow plow had pushed an ice boulder the size of a VW into the middle off my driveway. No way I could lift it or push it by myself, so I used the handle of the snow shovel to beat the you-know-what out of it. Would've done the same to the plow driver if given the chance. Two weeks 'til spring....Two weeks 'til spring.

- hotwine - 03-07-2003

It's here already, Georgie! It was 43 at 5:30 this morning, and has already warmed up to 82, with bright blue skies. Gotta love it!

- Georgie - 03-07-2003

Sounds wonderful. We're supposed to get up to a tropical 48 or 50 degrees this weekend. The animals around here are telling us it's spring. There's a pair of red tailed hawks making a nest in a pine tree near my school, and the Canada geese are pairing off. Hotwine, do you get to see any of the Monarch migration where you are?

- winedope1 - 03-07-2003

please send some our way, Hotwine!! im markin off the days til spring...