WineBoard
2006 WineBoard Excursion Ideas - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: 2006 WineBoard Excursion Ideas (/thread-20379.html)

- Jackie - 08-18-2005

I am sure I could arrange a tour of Gary Farrell's new winery in the Russian River Valley near Healdsburg (Sonoma County). All of his wines -- Cab, Chardonnay, Zin, -- are wonderful but the Pinot Noir is second to none IMHO. Anyway, Gary is a personal friend so I am partial but I think most members of the WineBoard will agree.

Very nearby are Rochioli Vineyards, where the best Pinot Noir grapes in California are grown, and Limerick Lane Cellars with outstanding Zinfandel (& more).

What do you all think? What other favorite wineries do you want to visit, if we meet in or around the SF Bay area?

Jackie

- Kcwhippet - 08-18-2005

Good suggestions, Jackie, and we're bound to come up with a lot of others. I don't know about the rest, but Judy and I like to go mostly to wineries that aren't real "mainstream" - the smaller wineries you don't hear about too often. Among those we like in Sonoma Cty are Mietz, Acorn, David Coffaro and Siduri, among others. Haven't been to Scherrer yet, but that's one on our list of must sees. Over in Napa, we really like Lewelling - real nice folks and great wine.

- wondersofwine - 08-18-2005

I had my first Gary Farrell wines this year at a Gary Farrell Wine Dinner in Raleigh. The 2002 Pinot Noir was terrific! I purchased three bottles but they turned out to be the 2001 which I felt was several notches below the 2002. Yeah, I would like to visit there and at Rochioli. But what would accommodations cost in the area? I might be priced out of the trip if it costs $150 a night or something like that. (Oops, just saw Jackie's comment on previous thread that she thinks accommodations could be kept under $120).

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 08-18-2005).]

- wondersofwine - 08-18-2005

I would like to visit Merry Edwards and I have an invite from Susie Selby to contact her when I am in the area. I like her Pinot Noir (wasn't thrilled with the Syrah or Zinfandel). She says her 2004 Pinot Noir may be her best wine ever (from a French clone that wasn't used in previous bottlings I guess.)

- Jackie - 08-21-2005

These are great suggestions. I'd love to have a whole day in the RRV Healdsburg/Windsor area.

Anyone else second this?

- Bucko - 08-21-2005

If my creaky old joints allow, we need to get back down to Kaliforyah. I am friends with a number of winemakers there who are small -- to include Swan and Carol Shelton, as well as some larger ones like Acacia and Geyser Peak. I'm friends with Dick Peterson, who could arrange a meeting with his daughter, Heidi Barrett, for some of you cultsters.

I have lots of winery contacts who owe me a favor or two -- name a few places you'd really like to visit and I can tell you if I can be of any help in setting up a personalized tour.

I do this so much for writing purposes that it has become work for me. I don't get the same thrill as I once did, BUT it is still nice to meet old friends and taste their latest efforts. It has been too long since I've been to the Napa/Sonoma region.

- hotwine - 08-21-2005

Ladieeeees and Gentlemen! We seem to have a winnnnahhhh! Gets my vote.

- Jackie - 08-21-2005

Hey Gang,

I've been researching hotels and B&Bs in the area and have come up with many different options. I am thinking it might be fun to do a 3-day tour of Day 1) Livermore, Day 2) Napa, and Day 3) Sonoma, hitting the wineries that we love best.

In all 3 areas, I can find hotel rooms under $120 and (of course) many higher priced accommodations. For example, in Livermore, the rate for a decent room at the Hilton Garden Inn is currently $79 a night. Or, for those with a bigger budget, the Rose Hotel in nearby Pleasanton starts at $199/night but is really beautiful.

I'm thinking that - if we have good participation - we might we able to arrange group rates at two hotels in each area. Then people could take their choice between the lower price or the poshier place to stay. I'm thinking we would hire a van (or two) to do the driving, so the van could pick people up in the morning from both places and begin the day's activities together.

A person could also decide to save some money, say, in Livermore, then chose the swankier hotel in Napa or Sonoma -- so the cost evens out.

What do you all think?

I also love Bucko's idea of meeting Dick Peterson's daughter, Heidi, in Napa.

Jackie

[This message has been edited by Jackie (edited 08-21-2005).]

- winoweenie - 08-22-2005

I too have many owners who are good friends and showed us a marvelous time last November when we had a group out. Dan Duckhorn, Ken Dies ( Flora Springs ), and Robert Craig all have marvelous facilities and make some pretty keen juice. WW

- wondersofwine - 08-22-2005

It's sounding great, Jackie. Another possibility in Sonoma is Simi. I like their Cabernet Sauvignon (and Winoweenie thinks they have one of the better Sonoma Cabs) and I hear their Chardonnay Reserve is pretty special too. Simi is in Healdsburg. I'm not sure where the Russian River wineries are in relation to Healdsburg.

- winoweenie - 08-22-2005

The river flow thru the town. WW

- Jackie - 08-23-2005

Healdsburg is the largest town in the Russian River Valley area. Many RRV wineries have a Healdsburg address.

- newsguy - 09-06-2005

just got back from my working vacation, which started with six days tasting in napa/sonoma...

in napa valley, i'm sure i could set up a private tasting with mark neal of neal family vineyards. he's on top of howell mountain. and if the group isn't too large, i bet i could set up a barrel tasting of the wines of karl lawrence and sequoia grove in rutherford. if you haven't already tasted the neal and karl lawrence wines, you absolutely should; world class reds at reasonable prices. and if the group is large (8-10 or more), i bet i could set up a private barrel tasting in the caves with dave del dotto in downtown napa. he makes some pretty nice wines, and the tasting is a great exercise in seeing the effects of different oak on wines (sorry bucko).

regardless, i'm definitely interested in a napa/sonoma offline next year, and i could already be living out on the west coast by then myself.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 09-06-2005).]

- Jackie - 09-07-2005

Great!

I am seeing so many suggestions for Napa and Sonoma and not much interest in Livermore. I am thinking we might need to skip Livermore, in order to have another day in Sonoma...

Or we go for 4 days instead of 3 and keep Livermore on the agenda.

What say you all?

Jackie

- Kcwhippet - 09-07-2005

I'm thinking that if we put Livermore in the mix, we'd lose about half a day transporting everyone and checking into lodging. While there are some nice wines there, they may just pale a bit in comparison to the juice from Napa and Sonoma.

There are quite a few of us who have real good contacts in Napa/Sonoma, as well, and as we get further along, I'm sure we're going to be able to get a very full schedule for either 3 or 4 days.

- newsguy - 09-07-2005

for what it's worth, i'm with KC. my six days in napa/sonoma wasn't enough to do either are true justice, much less both of them. i'd stay focused on those two, given that we're only gonna have 3 or 4 days.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 09-07-2005).]