WineBoard
Quilt Show - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Quilt Show (/thread-20335.html)

- Innkeeper - 04-28-2004

We went to the 20th Annual Quilt Show of the American Quilting Society (AQS) in Paducah, KY from April 21 to 24. It took us three days driving each way to get there. We made stops in Stroudsburg, PA and Columbus, OH both going and coming. The show is held in the Paducah Expo Center and features over 500 quilts selected from photos of thousands that are sent in from all over the world. There are at least an equal number of vendors interspaced with the exhibits, as well as many special programs to choose from. There is also a Museum of American Quilters Society nearby that is open all year, and has a fantastic collection of past show winners, historical quilts, and many others of interest. The local Rotary Club also had a show of historical quilts. While Bev was interested in the techniques involved and quality of the workmanship, I enjoyed the event and the exhibits from a purely artistic point of view. This is not a stretch; there are quilts in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.

It turned out the area we chose to stop in Columbus both times was a winner. It is at the intersection of I-270 (of sniper fame), and US 23 on the north side. It is one exit away from I-71. This is a large complex of hotels and restaurants of many stripes that is easy walk about through. On the way out we ate dinner at J. Alexander’s Steak House. Outstanding steak washed down with 2001 Beringers Founders Cabernet. The wine was excellent and nicely priced. The only and major drawback to lodging in the Columbus area is the tax burden. You pay a state, county, and city room tax which raised our bill from $58.49 to $68.29! Yikes!

Found a very nice wine store in Paducah. It is Roof Brothers at 3145 Park Avenue (Bus U.S. 60/I-24). Had to try a local wine. It was from Bravado and it was a Foch American, Hopkinsville, KY. Alcohol content not available. At $10.99 it was not comparable to many others we have tried at about the same price, including our local winemaker whose wares we will bring to Glenora. Also found a Baron Knyphausen, Erbacher, Stein Morgen, Riesling Kabinett, Reingau ($13.99), alcohol 9.5%. Brought it home and will post TN later. On another visit picked up a Villa Mt Eden Pinot and a 2002 Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages. The Beaujolais was excellent (I think WOW also posted a favorable note on this one too). Enjoyed it both as a quaffer and with cheese (baby Swiss and smoked gouda). Roof Brothers also had a decent selection of many other wines, beers, and munchies, and is only a mile off the interstate if you are passing through.

Bev had a class on Saturday afternoon, so we drove (about an hour) up to Alto Vineyards in Alto Pass, IL in the morning. They had a very nice selection of wines made from hybrids. Their chardonel, which Bucko gave good marks to an earlier vintage of at a tasting in Indianapolis, was still excellent. All their whites were of the same quality. The one we liked best was their 2002 Vidal Blanc which was made oak free, and slightly off dry. We brought home two bottles at $7.99 each, and will post detailed TNs when we try them with food. The red table wines were nothing to write home about. They did put out a couple of very nice “Ports.” The one we liked best is called Porto Di Guido. It is a fortified dessert wine made from chambourcin ($17.99/750 ml). We brought one home, and are looking forward to enjoying it with cheese over a couple of nights. We had to get back to Paducah, so couldn’t make more stops. There are four other wineries in the area, called the Shawnee Hills Wine Trial. This is a beautiful area, well worth stopping in if you are traveling through.

A must stop in Paducah is Jerimiah’s (as in Joy To The World!), on lower Broadway (#225) in the old part of town, about two blocks from the Ohio River. It is a kind of funky place dripping with ambiance. Wish we had found it before Friday night when we stopped in before a church dinner we had signed up for. They have a lounge behind the bar that is unlike any we have seen in this country. The owners discovered the concept in pubs in England. It is a dimly lit room where you can retire with friends or lovers and sip wine or beer (home crafted) in overstuffed couches or easy chairs. Lovely. To get there you have to pass by their meat on your right, and their grill on the left. So, while Bev was in class on Saturday afternoon, I made a reservation for dinner that night. We hit the lounge again in late afternoon, and then came back for our reservation later in the evening. What a surprise. There was a street party going on with bands up and down the street, dancing man balloons, and since it was prom night too-the kids in their duds and gowns were perambulating. So, Jerimiah’s opened the doors and let it all come in. We had a window seat by the street, and a table full of lady quilters from Scotland at the table next to us. The house cooks their steaks over a very hot grill so they are crispy on the outside and juicy in the middle. Fantastic! Had some trouble with their wine list (it is more of a brewpub). Tried to order a syrah, but they were out. There were no cabs on the list (but four merlots!). They had 1.5s of Woodbridge Cab in the bar that you could get glasses of. We settled for a bottle of Concha Y Toro, Frontera, Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot for $10. It did the trick. All in all it was a great evening with lots of fun. Who’d have thought you could do this at a quilt show!

- Georgie - 04-28-2004

Sounds like a really wonderful trip for both of you! Glad you had such a good time.

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 04-28-2004).]

- hotwine - 04-28-2004

Sounds like a fun trip, IK. Thanks for the notes.

- winoweenie - 04-28-2004

Did you do any of the Dancing IK, or did Bev do her internationally famous " 7-Veils" by her-very-own-self?(giggle)WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- chittychattykathy - 04-28-2004

I was serious about info on the quilt show, this was a very good read, felt like I was there. Honestly, I must admit that I am quite a hand weaver. (One of my hobbies I don't mention very often because people just look at me and say; "right, sure, you weave.") And I admit that I don't have the get go to quilt.