WineBoard
May be inop for a while... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: May be inop for a while... (/thread-20298.html)

- hotwine - 01-13-2005

Flooring contractors will be here tomorrow to begin ripping out our hardwood floors in three rooms (only a year or two old) to repair water damage from Oct, when our septic system backed up. Plumbing was all repaired in Oct-Dec, but we delayed replacing the wood floors until after Christmas, since family was assembling here; can't avoid it any longer, since mold may have formed under the flooring. One of the rooms affected is the study/home office, which contains the PC, cable modem, fax/copier/printer/scanner, and WiFi hub. Will attempt to use D's Dell laptop for internet access via the WiFi, if I can figure a way to keep the hub online, maybe by placing it on a bookshelf. Anyway, the laptop's reliability on the Web is marginal at best; so fully expect to have only intermittent service for about a month while the old flooring is removed, the slab dried of any remaining moisture, the new flooring installed, and all furnishings restored to their proper places. We won't even have CATV, since our only cable service at present is in the living room, which is also affected. (Come to think of it, even the VCR and DVD are in there.) Ain't it fun....

- Innkeeper - 01-13-2005

Sounds like fun, not!

- winoweenie - 01-13-2005

Sounds like time to vacation in the Valley of the Sun. WW

- TheEngineer - 01-13-2005

It's times like this that my local starbucks becomes good evening entertainment. Good luck on your repair but you are right to do it right once and slowly versus doing it quick and never being totally sure if it was dried out.

- californiagirl - 01-13-2005

hotwine- What type of scenarios did the installation company talk to you about? Have you done this b/4? What type of sub do you have? Make sure they do a moisture test prior to installation of the new wood. Meters are okay, but calcium chloride is prefered. Trust me, this is coming from 10 years in the flooring installation business. I'll wish you good karma!

[This message has been edited by californiagirl (edited 01-13-2005).]

- winoweenie - 01-14-2005

CG I dint' know youse be in the flooring biz, or iffn' I did it's the ole memory thingy kickin in agin. I'm in carpet manufacturing in Chattsworth Ga. Knew there was something special other than your impeccible taste. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 01-14-2005

Thanks, CG. We have a slab foundation; the oak laminate is installed over a foam pad and glued edge-to-edge. We'll see later today how much water penetration occurred; it's possible there was very little, but that remains to be seen.

- californiagirl - 01-14-2005

ww- just got out of it! I was done with the big orange box politics. Figured that 10 yrs was enough stress. Still love it though.

I've seen countless water damage situations. Are we talking manufactured t&g laminate- like Pergo? Or real hardwood? Take a look at the install instructions from the box of the new product. It should list the manufacturers recommended max moisture level. If they don't install to these specs, you void your warranty. They should check for moisture in several areas- along exterior and interior walls, and in the center. Also in the area of the water leak. Make sure the new product is acclimated in your house for more than 72 hrs prior to installation.

- hotwine - 01-14-2005

CG, it's t&g like Pergo, but a different brand.... can't recall which. The factory specs have been followed to the letter, and will be again during re-install.

Water penetration found under the flooring in the central hall, but none in the LR. That's it for this week.

- chittychattykathy - 01-15-2005

Sounds like that really, really "hot" place people talk about...
Good luck with it!
Kat