WineBoard
sick - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: sick (/thread-20258.html)

- Steve Titel - 12-25-2001

I would like to know more about sulfites or whatever "chemicals" are put into wines that give people the problems they have when they consume wines in this country (U.S.A.) When friends travel to other countries and consume even large quantities of wine or beer and do NOT have the sproblems (headache,stuffed up nose,itching eyes,etc.) that they have hear in the U.S.A.;that tells me that something is mandated here in the U.S. that is causing this harm. But to find information on this subject is mysteriously very difficult!??

- Thomas - 12-25-2001

First, just about all wines contain sulfites--wherever they are produced--so get that chemistry out of your head.
Second, nothing is mandated to go into wine, except grapes.
Third, I suspect what causes the problem is a combination of oak aging, which in California is way out of hand, and heavy skin extract from red grapes, which can cause histamine build-up, which can cause headaches.
Fourth, I also believe that you make a sweeping generalization that has little foundation of proof. Many people traveling on vacation, or even business, are in an environment that makes how their body reacts quite different than when they are home and living under the stress of the daily grind.
Fifth, it seems to me that if someone has a medical problem--headaches, and such--that it is a good idea to seek medical help and to not jump to conclusions based on wives tales.

- winedope - 12-25-2001

I get severe migraine headaches. My only food trigger is red wine. If I drink more than 2 glasses of it, be it Cabernet, Merlot or whatever, I will frequently get a migraine headache by morning. I have also traveled extensively, and as Foodie has said, there are many factors which will affect your health when traveling, including the water, dietary changes, and the traveling itself, to name a few. I, too, would suggest that anyone suffering from such symptoms as described for more than a short period of time seek the advice of a doctor. Try experimenting with different factors (safely) when traveling to try to aleviate such symptoms. For example, when traveling in Egypt, I only drank bottled water and soft drinks. I also ate vegetarian, cooked dishes. Consequently, I found that I was the only person in the group I traveled with (I was the only one to do this) who did not get sick during the trip. WD
PS- These headaches are migraines, not the result of overindulgence. There is a big difference between the two.

[This message has been edited by winedope (edited 12-25-2001).]

- Drew - 12-25-2001

I only drink wine and beer, never anything harder. I live close to a brew pub named DuClaw which has great atmosphere, food and their own beers, stouts and ales. Everytime I drink just one of their malt bevs I get a headache! Other than my pellet stove, sinus headaches, I suffer from no other headaches from any other beverages...go figure. Very rarely I'll suffer a stuffy nose from French reds...another mystery!

Drew

- mrdutton - 12-25-2001

Steve, welcome to the Wine Board.

For some very interesting discussions on Headaches and Wine and such use the search feature.

Try using the key word sulfites or sulfite.