WineBoard
And the winner is............. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: And the winner is............. (/thread-20255.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Drew - 11-30-2000

The following are Wine Spectator's Top Ten "Wines of the Year"....any thoughts?

#1 Score Price
ANTINORI Toscana Solaia 1997 98 $115

Dark ruby in color, with extremely ripe raisin and spice aromas. Full-bodied and very chewy, with loads of polished tannins and a long, long finish that's big and fruity. A solid, muscular red from Tuscany, this is the greatest Solaia ever made. Best after 2004. 7,000 cases made. --(JS)

#2 Score Price
VIADER Napa Valley 1997 97 $60
Beautifully proportioned, rich and complex, with ripe, concentrated plum, currant, black cherry, mocha, toasty oak and spice nuances. Turns smooth and silky on a long, elegant finish. Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. Best from 2002 through 2012. 4,800 cases made. --(JL)

#3 Score Price
WHITEHALL LANE Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Reserve 1997 97 $60
Deliciously ripe, rich and deeply flavored, with juicy layers of coffee, herb, currant, sage, chocolate, toffee and spice, with a long, complex, integrated finish. Best from 2002 through 2012. 2,850 cases made. --(JL)

#4 Score Price
LE VIEUX DONJON Châteauneuf-du-Pape 1998 97 $25

An explosive and racy Châteauneuf, bursting with roasted game, wild berry, grilled bread, black chocolate and espresso character. Ripe and sweet-tasting, with enough opulent fruit to balance the firm tannin structure that rises like an impenetrable wall on the spectacular finish. Best from 2005 through 2020. 4,165 cases made. --(PM)

#5 Score Price
JOSEPH PHELPS Insignia Napa Valley 1997 96 $120

Super rich and seductive version of this prestigious red, its layers of currant, black cherry, chocolate and ginger turning smooth and polished, with a long, intricate aftertaste. Best from 2002 through 2012. 20,000 cases made. --(JL)

#6 Score Price
JUSTIN Isosceles Paso Robles 1997 95 $40

Absolutely delicious, this blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (mostly), Cabernet Franc and Merlot is brimming with ripe and juicy currant, black cherry, wild berry, plum and anise flavors that are complex, deep and polished. Finishes long and flavorful. Best from 2002 through 2012. 8,000 cases made. --(JL)

#7 Score Price
CHÂTEAU LA NERTHE Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Cadettes 1998 96 $75
Seductive and sexy, this world-class red is rich, opulent and ripe, with layers of superb mocha, toast and spice. Loaded with blackberry and cassis, its fabulous balance leads to a long fruit-and-oak finish. Very tempting now. Best from 2005 through 2030. 3,905 cases made. --(PM)

#8 Score Price
MERRYVALE Profile Napa Valley 1997 97 $85
Massive, with wonderful richness, depth and concentration, this Cabernet blend has layers of complex currant, black cherry, plum, vanilla and blackberry and a long, detailed, firmly tannic finish. Best from 2002 through 2012. 5,200 cases made. --(JL)

#9 Score Price
TENUTA DELL'ORNELLAIA Bolgheri Ornellaia 1997 96 $100

This Tuscan gem is black in color, with complex aromas of black currants, minerals and wet earth. Full- bodied, with lots of tannins, but very polished. Long, long finish. Super well-made -- a great Ornellaia. Best after 2004. 11,415 cases made. --(JS)

#10 Score Price
CASTELLO DEI RAMPOLLA Toscana Sammarco 1997 97 $73
Black color. Aromas of blackberries, minerals and mint. Very subtle. Full-bodied, with amazing concentration of silky tannins and a finish that goes on and on. Monumental Sammarco. Best ever for me. Best after 2005. --(JS)

Drew

- Thomas - 12-01-2000

Try to find one of them.

- Drew - 12-01-2000

Actually Foodie, I have access to a case of the Solaia at $149 a bottle less case discount.....tempting!

Drew

- winepoppi - 12-01-2000

Drew, after you make that purchase, I will be more than happy to take a few off your hands. Allen

- winoweenie - 12-01-2000

At least this year the wines were produced in robust numbers are WERE widely distributed. Dint` get none of the Itie stuff but notice all them pretty Calif `s rite behind it. I did gots some ub `dem. My only comment is that Spottswood should have a spot summers up there. They released a little late so that could have sumpin` to do with it. By the way just ran across the Dec. 1997 Rag and the headline is " VINTAGE OF THE DECADE '.Guess Century tops it. What bull-patootie. Drew has a better palate than Jimmy-boy-Laube. winoweenie

- Drew - 12-02-2000

Winoweenie......I am truly touched! My dad always told me the only taste I had was in my mouth!

Drew

- RAD - 12-02-2000

Foodie, the Solaia is available here in NYC for $149/per, but I have yet to take the plunge.

Couldn't agree more withe the Justin at #6; I was buying that before the WS 95 rating hit the stands.

One surprise that I did not see on the list was CSJ's Cinq Cepages, which was rated a 96. Why is a wine that is rated 96, and sells for $50 (relatively inexpensive for that rating) not even make the top 100, especially since it was #1 last year? Not that I care--I've got a few bottles and it's delicious, just the same...

RAD

- winecollector - 12-02-2000

Perhaps they didn't romance the editors at WS enough this year....

- Thomas - 12-02-2000

I don't know about romance, wine collector, but maybe they do not advertise in the rag. ...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-02-2000).]

- Drew - 12-02-2000

The 97' CSJ, Cinq Cepages, is $90 per bottle here in the metro Baltimore region. Not a deal for me.

Drew

- winoweenie - 12-02-2000

For what it`s worth. The Cinq has been outstanding since the 93 edition,18.00. The 94 at 22.00, the 95 at 26.00 then OOPS! the 96 at 38.00 and now TATA the 97 at a mere 50.00. Does anyone think that they need to advertise this bottling anymore? winoweenie.It`s really hard to argue with the ratings as the wines are spectaculr. The Viader is scrumptous,both Whitehall Lane offerings are spectacular,the Insignia MAY be as good or better than the 75, the Justin is a monumental bottling from one of my favorite Central Coast producers, and the Profile is just one of 3, IMHO, superb wines from MV. I like their Beckstoffer and Reserve bottlings as much as the Profile. sheesh!

- Drew - 12-02-2000

I agree with the Cinq Cepages. I have only 2 left of the 93' and 8 of the 95'. Problem is that they have now gone beyond my personal purchasing price, so I now focus on other vinyards that are more affordable. WW, I don't think the prices you quote for the 96'and 97' represent the SRP for the average wine consumer. I don't know that anyone saw the 96' less than $50, at least around here and the 97' here was released with a guns blazing price of $90. A shame!

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 12-02-2000).]

- winoweenie - 12-02-2000

Drew, That`s the reason I`ve always prodded people to get a wine shop, pay them a buck or two ever-now-and-then and buy all yer` stuff-n-such there. CCK will verify that the people that get her limited allocation wines are the people who give her business 12 months per. The prices quoted are the prices on the product here that was charged. `Caint hep` it if`n youse live in nasty-city. winoweenie

- mrdutton - 12-02-2000

Yes, it really helps when you walk into the wine shop and the owner comes over to shake your hand and welcome you to his store!

Then, when he pulls you aside and whispers about the upcoming great deals........ he's either your friend or a great salesman.

- Drew - 12-02-2000

Actually you're right cept I think the prices here, Mid-Atlantic, at least where sought after California wines are concerned, are on the high side to start with. I patronize a store, Ronnie's. Ron's a great person and whose advice I follow. He has hooked me up many times with good deals and limited releases but still can't offer the prices you quote.

Drew

- Bucko - 12-02-2000

I just figured out the average cost of the WS top ten, selected for quality and value. The average price was $75.30. I only have one word to say, pardoning the French -- Hor$e$hit!! They are selling magazines, not providing a service to readers. I can come up with a host of wines less than $50 that beats all of these wines. The only winner is the Le Vieux Donjon, which IS a killer wine and value....

Bucko

- chittychattykathy - 12-03-2000

Great, now what am I gonna do with all this 97' Cinq Cepages that's sitting around!
Foodie, As far as the top 10 wines for my set, most all are long gone or I never carried. I am into the 98' Viader, Whitehall is gone, the Phelps is more like $139, (but at least it's easy to get). Justin sold out long ago (several to me-self), am hiding the one bottle of Merryvale 97' that's left, & I never carried the Solaia, Le Vieux (how'd I miss this one??), nor the Tenuta or Castello.
WW, You know it how it is! Unless a new-bee comes in and connects with me (sometimes you know if it's okay to share with new friends), it's those who help support me/my inventory year-round, (regardless of what they normally buy, be it Phelps or Meridian), who get the highly allocated wines.
& MRD, A great salesman, a friend...
a thin line me thinks! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 12-03-2000

Drew, Not to beat a dead horse, but methinks your retailors are berry, berry greedy. There`s not one iota of justification for marking a wine up at the retail level at almost twice the release price. I personally would fire off an "E" to St.Jean with the offenders name, rank, and serial numbers. A pox on the bas*#^ `s. winoweenie

- Drew - 12-03-2000

I hope your right, WW, my only interest in the Cinq and some others is to put together verticals so I can compare the vintages. Other than a bottle here or there...I'm not much interested in paying over $50 a bottle. You know, being so close to Washington D.C. is not good for prices on luxury items. Those crooks have a lot of money and the retailers know it. CCK, what's your retail for the 97' Cinq?

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 12-03-2000).]

- Thomas - 12-03-2000

I think CCk will agree with me--and if not, she should!!!! Just kidding girl.

Anyway, in my view, those who buy wine straight from the Spectator lists are not loyal customers, they are loyal collectors; a retailer cannot make a living on them (for one thing, there isn't enough production and for another, there aren't enough customers to go around).

The bread and butter products are approachable, reasonably-priced wines for daily consumption; the rest is status seeking, and bears little relationship to wine consumption. The Spectator is less a wine magazine than a status stamp.