WineBoard
Thoughts and Impressions of a great Man - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Thoughts and Impressions of a great Man (/thread-20143.html)

- winoweenie - 07-05-2006

I first met Al Braunstein in the fall of 1977. I was really getting seriously into wine and before one of my 6 yearly trips to Napa I had a taste of what , to me, was the most remarkable juice I'd ever experienced...the 1975 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace followed by the 75 Volcanic Hill. Living in Colo at the time I tried to find out something about this unknowm vineyard but no luck. Arriving in Napa later I called and got Al on the phone and he gave me directions to Boots and his home. Manuvering up the winding, treacherous blind curved road I hoped risking life and limb would be worth the effort. I parked in front of the bridge that crossed Diamond Creek to this idyllic setting and was impressed that the front door opened before I had a chance to ring the bell. How to describe this man. Very tall, with hawkish features but with the twinkling eyes and impish grin of a rascal and an air that immediately told me he was in charge of both his life and destiny. That day changed my whole perspective of wine. After he gave me my 1st of probably 200 tours around the property we went back to his home where he opened a bottle of his 92 Volcanic Hill. And, as almost on cue, the beautiful Boots came into the room. Radiant smile, trim athletic figure, and an inate sense of grace that exuded with every word or movement. The love in both their eyes was as evident as was their love of their being. Al talked of his vision for this beautiful property and as was later evident, his vision set the standard for cabernet in Napa valley. On each subsequent visit I was priviliged to see how much Al brought to the table when it came to marketing, defining product, and maintaining a standard of quality in product that had only been achieved by a handfull of vineyard owners up to that time.
I realized early on how privilidged I was to be able to count this lovely couple as friends. I find it impossible to encapsulate
the whole of Al. Visionary, impressario, adventurer, experimenter, racounteur, gourmand, sophisticated, soft-spoken, out-spoken, generous, contrarian, determined, wry, considerate, and beyond any doubt the kindest, gentlest soul I've ever met. This is how I remember Al. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-05-2006).]

- Bucko - 07-05-2006

Well stated, Verne.

- Glass_A_Day - 07-06-2006

I never got to meet the man and after reading what you wrote, feel I missed out. He truely sounds like the kind of person who could affect someone's life.

- Kcwhippet - 07-06-2006

Very eloquent words, Verne. You've often spoken of Al to me, but I never realized how deeply you felt. I wish now that I had the privilege of meeting him.

- brappy - 07-06-2006

Wow.....what a great man/couple. You paint a beautiful picture WW.

- Georgie - 07-06-2006

You made the tears flow with that, Verne. Isn't it wonderful how special people come into our lives when you'd least expect it? I know you'll miss him terribly. I'm sorry.

- wondersofwine - 07-06-2006

I at least was able to meet Boots at a California Cabernet Sauvignon event in DC.

- Innkeeper - 07-13-2006

In the July 6 edition of his newsletter (which due to some problems we've been having, just arrived along with the July 13 edition), Dan Berger had another very nice memoriam on Al.

- Bucko - 07-13-2006

zxreqf

- Bucko - 07-13-2006

Gremlin in the machine.

- Drew - 07-14-2006

Pure poetry Verne...well said.

Drew