WineBoard
Can You Name These WineBoard Members? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Can You Name These WineBoard Members? (/thread-20139.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Innkeeper - 10-29-2000

Of all the whites, riesling has the best legs. Had a 1995 plain ole Alsatian Riesling last night that was primus intactus, fruit and all.

- Bucko - 10-30-2000

But who has the best legs in the photo?

Bucko

- Kcwhippet - 10-30-2000

Foodie,

Did anyone ever mention that you have quite a resemblance to David Coffaro?

Bob

- Innkeeper - 10-30-2000

They are actually twins separated at birth. They both hum arias from the same operas as they toil away. Doubters should go to www.coffaro.com , and check out the picture on the first page.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 10-30-2000).]

- Kcwhippet - 10-31-2000

Dave Coffaro hums arias? His latest offering on his massive DVD sound system is a Santana rock video. I get this weird visual of Foodie doing Oye Como Va.

- Scoop - 10-31-2000

A few clarifications:

First, It was Ann (Foodie's better half) that picked out the tasty Red Sancerre (a Pinot Noir, as we all know) at Les Halles.

Second, concerning my age: it's much greater than you think (and that I like to be reminded of). Hint: where were you in '62?

Third, as a St.Louis Cardinal fan, I was pretty happy at the time, but they were run over by the Number 7 train (the Mets), much to my chagrin, in the NLCS.

It was great fun, and hope we have more of these in the future.

Cheers,

Scoop

- mrdutton - 10-31-2000

Scoop,,,,,,,,,,,,

In '62 (I assume you mean 1962), I'd been around for a while, long enough to be old enough to powder my baby brother's behind. And you, my friend, look to be about as old as my baby brother is old.

He is well over 30 and is a bit over 40.

Do you remember "I like Ike" buttons? How about Mr. K pounding his shoe at the UN saying, "We will bury you"? Shortly after that our neighbors in the back built their fall-out shelter!

IK and Foodie are older than I am, but not by much!!

- Bucko - 10-31-2000

I am still waiting for who had the best legs....... }:>

Bucko

- Scoop - 11-02-2000

By far, the Gigondas!

Scoop

- Thomas - 11-02-2000

Most people, and I am not kidding, tell me I look like Richard Dreyfus, and a few say George Carlin--such a universal face have I, but Bucko: wait till you see my LEGS!

1962, I hadn't graduated high school yet, but was damned close to the event. Hint: I graduated the year before the Beatles hit the American scene, and four years before John Coltrane died; the latter event certainly made more of an impact on me than did the former.

As for wine, back then you could buy it at eighteen, and I did as soon as I could. While my contemporaries guzzled T'bird, I was into St. Emilion, not that I did not partake of the bird, just that it taught me what I did not like.

"What's the word? Thunderbird.
What's the price? Thirty twice."

In that year it was sixty cents a pint!

- mrdutton - 11-02-2000

I am laughing and chuckling and laughing a bit more.......... Just who does have the best legs? Would it be one of the four at the table or maybe, just maybe, would the best legs belong to one of the wines sampled that evening? Or perhaps, maybe to one of the wonderful wives who were present but were not pictured?

Will we ever know who had the best legs?

I was not a great fan of Thunderbird. Annie Green Springs was quite the thing around my haunts. That, and a bit of Mogan David 20/20
(oooh yuck I say now) were in style.

However, when my brother and I broke into our parents liquor cabinet and discoverd a bottle of Chambertin......... boy did we have fun. Oh BOY, were they ever upset!!! But my taste in wine changed from that night onward.

And John Coltrane's death was a very serious matter, about that there is no doubt. Just as was the loss of JFK, but of course for different reasons. What really saddens me a bit is the amount of time it took me to realize just how great Coltrane was......... because when he died I'd not yet heard of him.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 11-02-2000).]

- Drew - 11-02-2000

Country Club malt liquor in the 7 ounce ponies was our demise. Three of us could split a six pack for about .70 each and be "way to cool" for a couple of hours at CYO!

Drew

- winecollector - 11-03-2000

While we're traveling down memory lane, one of my first memmoriable "wine experience" was a 1975 Margaux from my father's collection, which I shared with a special lady. I still can't figure out why I drank beer for so long after that.

- Thomas - 11-03-2000

Hey Dutton, one of the benefits of having grown up in NY City was access to the greats in jazz. I used to hang out at the Village Vanguard where I saw Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, Earl Hines, Mose Allison, Herbie Mann, Herbie Hancock, Red Garland, Mingus and on and on... .

The only problem at the Vanguard was the drinks. Had to buy two minimum for each set, and they offered no good wine--then, it was Scotch on the rocks, and of course, only one set a week; I was still under twenty and quite underfinanced.

- Innkeeper - 11-03-2000

Ah, remember the Vangard from even earlier days. But, the name Charlie Mingus brings back an even better memory. In the summer of 1960 attended the College International de Cannes. Three hours of school in the morning, followed by an afternoon on the beach surrounded by bikini clad lovelies from all over Europe. On the way to the beach on our Solex' we would stop by the store to pick up a $.15 Rouge de Provence, along with a hunk of cheese and a baguette that brought the tab up to $.50 or 2.5 NF. That always guaranteed company on one's blanket.

One night a group of us Solexed over to Nice for a jazz concert featuring Charlie. The French warm up combo was pretty good. Then Charlie came on and took a half hour to get his bass out of it's case. At the fifteen minute point, the audiance started whistling, and didn't stop until fifteen minutes after the concert ended. One of those nights it was not too proud to be an American. The wine was good though.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 11-03-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 11-24-2000

The "oaky" prize for the winner, mrdutton, is in the mail.

- mrdutton - 11-25-2000

I watch for the guy every day! He's a good mail-man, he'll look out for me also!

I am still in awe that I did it, a pure stroke of luck! I've never met anyone of the four, other than to communicate via this board or e-mail.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 11-24-2000).]

- mrdutton - 11-29-2000

The oak has arrived, replete with natural dunnage consisting of real oak tree leaves from Maine!!

One bottle of 1997 Trapiche Malbec Oak Cask from Mendoza, Argentina.

One bottle of 1998 Forest Glen California Chardonnay, Barrel Fermented.

Much thanks. They are currently resting to recover from the trip.