WineBoard
Top five producers I buy - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Top five producers I buy (/thread-20095.html)

- TheEngineer - 01-10-2011

I generally think of myself as being a drinker of many different wines and a quick search of CT will show that the vast majority of wines I have bought I only get between 1 to 3 bottles (have almost 500 producers in my cellar). But on the converse, when I like a producer, I get stuck on them and they appear to dominate my cellar. My top tive account for 20% of my cellar, mostly due to verticals. Also to my surprise, while I own more Bordeaux and Burgundy than anything else, my top three producers are not from those locations (and decidedly mainstream):

(1) Joh Jos Prum
(2) Vollenweider
(3) Ch. Beaucastel
(4) G. Roumier
(5) Ch. Montrose

Then again, perhaps 20% is not too dominant a position total? Perhaps I'm not as diverse as I think I am. Perhaps I spend too much time with Cellartracker???

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 01-10-2011).]

- VouvrayHead - 01-13-2011

Just dropped in and saw this. Went over to CT.
Here's mine, although admittedly many of these are just because I have a case of a particular wine [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

1 Domaine de la Pepiere (Marc Ollivier)
2 Harvest Moon
3 Huet
4 Sean Thackrey

I'm closer to 100 producers.

- wondersofwine - 01-14-2011

Not finished entering my collection on CellarTracker but I think it's a safe bet that my top producer is Williams Selyem. Runner-ups include Ridge (mostly Lytton Springs), Merry Edwards and Loring Wine Company and Biale (mostly Zinfnadels.) I am starting to add Alysian wines (Gary Farrell's new venture) and Lioco wines (Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.) I usually buy one to three of a particular wine at a time and occasionally four to six but no full cases. A holdover from past purchase decisions are some Marquis Phillips (mostly Shiraz and Sarah's Blend.) They aren't that appealing to me now so may sit for a long time or be offered as gifts to anyone locally that wants them.

- Innkeeper - 01-14-2011

Knapp
Tobin James
Easton/Terre Rouge
Masciarelli
Jorge Ordonez

- Kcwhippet - 01-14-2011

IK, From what I know of Jorge Ordonez, he's an importer, not a producer. His portfolio shows about 135 wines from over 40 wineries.

I haven't narrowed down my list yet.

- Innkeeper - 01-14-2011

His name is on the bottle of Garnacha de Fuego as producer. We probably drink more of that than any other wine!

- hotwine - 01-15-2011

- Antinori

- Ch. Lagrange/Talbot/Leoville las Cases/virtually any St Julien

- virtually any Sancerre

- Santa Cruz Mtn. Vineyards

- Virtually any French Grenache/Spanish Garnacha

Did I mention Antinori?

- andrawes76 - 01-15-2011

Top 6 (last 4 & 5 are a tie)
- Chateau Beaucastel
- Chateau Pavie St. Emilion
- Constant Diamond Mtn Cabernet
- Robert Craig Affinity
- Altamura Napa Cabernet
- Achaval Ferrer (either Mirador or Altamira)

- wondersofwine - 01-18-2011

Care to share any of that Chateau Pavie, you lucky fellow?

- TheEngineer - 01-18-2011

[quote]Originally posted by wondersofwine:
[b]Care to share any of that Chateau Pavie, you lucky fellow?[/b][/quote]

+1, especially if it is the 2000!!!