WineBoard
here we go again (hurricane frances) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: here we go again (hurricane frances) (/thread-20089.html)

- newsguy - 09-04-2004

the eye of hurricane frances is just now making landfall in the palm beach area. the good news is this storm is now a category 2 hurricane (a few days ago it was nearly a cat 5). updated track has the eye of the hurricane going over my bureau in port richey, which is in pasco county and where i'll be all day and probably night on sunday. we are told to expect tropical storm force winds starting at about 1 a.m. sunday, increasing to about 60 mph winds at 8 a.m. sunday, which is around when i'll be heading from my apt. in clearwater up to the bureau. because of the size of this storm and its slow speed, we are told to expect 60 mph winds (with gusts of 70-plus) lasting from 8 a.m. sunday until about midnight sunday, then gradually subsiding. my wife is up in her apt. in gainesville, which i came back from earlier this evening. if the storm holds course, she should only be getting winds of *about* 40 mph all day sunday. down here, we're expected to get about a foot of rain, with up to 20 inches in certain areas. eye of storm expected to go over my bureau at about 8 p.m. sunday. gonna be a lot of wind damage and flooding. will check in when i get to the office tomorrow, if we have power. if not, will check back in whenever power is restored. if you know people on the east/central coast of florida, keep them in your thoughts and prayers. they are getting *pounded* and the eye of this huge storm is only now making landfall there.

p.s. my "hurricane" wine tonigt is the '02 justin cab, which i picked up on a whim thursday night. beautiful young wine. great fruit (black cherry, plums and currants), plus good acidity and tannins. perfect balance, and at least a medium-term ager. the first "serious" '02 cab i've had and it's definitely a winner. 91+

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 09-04-2004).]

- californiagirl - 09-04-2004

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, newsguy. Try not to travel if you don't have to, I'm sure you know the drill.

I remember one hurricane distinctly from my childhood in New England, and needless to say, it's a vibrant memory from age 5. I was stuck at a neighbor's house and could not go home until the calm of the storm.

Be safe.

- winoweenie - 09-05-2004

Was thinking about you all day yesterday. Called the paper but didn't get an answer. Keep Cool, Stay Safe, and Drink Well. CB and I will lite a candle for you. WW

- newsguy - 09-05-2004

thank you both for the thoughts, prayers and good wishes. am at work now. lotsa wind (about 45-50 mph with higher gusts) but not that much rain -- yet. eye is still 100+ miles away. still supposed to go overhead where i am tonight. expect the worst of it will probably be between about 8 p.m. and 2 a.m. for late tonight/early monday AM when we can't do anything but wait it out, i brought a bottle of the '02 mcmanis cab and the '02 leasingham bin 61 shiraz, plus cheese and crackers to share with the staff here. at least we'll have a good end -- probably by candle light -- to a rotten day. i'll check back in later. of course, having alcohol in the newsroom is a fireable offense... let them fire me.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 09-05-2004).]

- Thomas - 09-05-2004

Take care newsie.

From what I read in today's NYTimes, Sept could be one hellava month for more storms. Makes one know our powerlessness.

- newsguy - 09-05-2004

thanks, foodie. hurricane ivan now on a path that would put it in the gulf this weekend. 3 in a row is too much.

the good news: i talked to winoweenie this morning. he called from AZ just to see how we were doing. verne's quite a guy.

- Bucko - 09-05-2004

As much as I like to rib the ol' desert rat, WW is pretty special. I'll deny it in public. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 09-05-2004

Yeah, Buckheimer, but you're now on record as admitting it. And I'll second it.

- winoweenie - 09-06-2004

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! C'M on. Jes whenced I was putting the finishing touches on my expose " Spoiled Caviar. The Revelations of an Oral Sturgeon.", or " Don't Get Gassed On His Op Table". WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 09-06-2004

I have to go along with you folks. The weener is a special person, and I'm proud to have him as a friend.

- winoweenie - 09-06-2004

Tankee Berry-Berry Mucho. ww

- wondersofwine - 09-07-2004

Dittos from here (on WW).
My friends in Melbourne weathered the storm quite well. They didn't lose electric power and have drinkable water--can't get gas at present. Shingles came off the roof and their deductible on the insurance means that they'll have to pay for new ones. Erick is making minor repairs to stop leaks. Twelve trees down or threatened including cedars and weeping willows. They're in a relatively new home which was build to withstand 140 mph winds. They will leave storm shutters up for now due to worries about Hurricane Ivan.

- dananne - 09-07-2004

Today was supposed to be our first day of school, but due to the storm damage from wind/rain as the leftovers of Frances moved through Georgia, we didn't have power. So, we had to cancel school today. I guess it means one more day of "summer vacation."