WineBoard
New vintage of Cougar Gold. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: New vintage of Cougar Gold. (/thread-20035.html)

- winoweenie - 12-16-2001

Just rec'd my new shipment of the 2000 Gold. Really good stuff. ( They wont ship here until Nov. ) Jes' a reminder. WW

- wondersofwine - 12-17-2001

Enlighten me. What is Cougar Gold? What grape, vinicultural area?

- Bucko - 12-17-2001

I thought Cougar Gold was cheese.

- winoweenie - 12-17-2001

Sorry WOW. Cougar Gold is an aged cheddar cheese made by Wash State Us'ag dept that ranks with the best cheddars made in the USofA. They age it a year before release and sell it in 2+lb. tins.Hotsie and the boys back east were buying it thru a secondary marketeer at 29 per tin till I steered them to the source at 14 + shipping. As good as Cheddar gets. WW

- Drew - 12-17-2001

Hey Verne, can you turn us on to the source again.

Drew

- winoweenie - 12-18-2001

The 800 # is 800 457 5442 and their E is www.wsu.edu/creamery. mmmmmmm-good. WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-18-2001

Well, you piqued my curiosity. We like good cheeses (cholesterol be damned), so I just ordered some.

- Kcwhippet - 12-18-2001

BTW, for you real cheese lovers, there's a small farm out here in central Massachusetts that turns out some world class cheeses. It's called Westfield Farms and they only make about 900 pounds of cheese a week, both goat and cow. Their blue goat cheeses are simply scrumptious, mouth watering delights. They surface innoculate with the Roquefort mold and the result is fabulous. They also make a veined blue cow cheese that's just as good. If you're not a fan of blue cheeses, they also make cheeses for you. Check them out at www.chevre.com. If you try any, I can guarantee you'll go back for more.

- Drew - 12-18-2001

Also ordered some Cougar Gold today, thanks WW.

Drew

- skogkatt - 12-18-2001

Your note reminds me to reorder. We opened a eight year old tin this summer for a special occassion. It was great. I have one more '95' in the frig.

- winoweenie - 12-19-2001

Thanks for the reminder Skogatt. Guys this stuff ages beautifully in the tin in the fridge.I've got one tin put away out of each shipment. Bet the 95 is a killer. WW

- wondersofwine - 12-19-2001

Thanks for filling me in. I will order some Cougar Gold after the holidays. To Kcwhippet, I sampled some of the Westfield blue cheese at a tasting at Nantucket Wine Festival--it was indeed very good. We had it with an Australian sauvignon blanc.

- Innkeeper - 12-20-2001

Ordered a six piece aged assortment from Westfield last night. They shipped today.

- Kcwhippet - 12-21-2001

IK,

Next time you come through, you should drop in and visit them. They're just a bit north of Worcester off 290. Interesting place.

- Bucko - 12-21-2001

WW got me off of my butt as well. Ordered 5 cans of the cheese.

- Innkeeper - 12-21-2001

The Westfield order arrived today. New England is a small place. Had some for lunch. Excellentay.