WineBoard
Any Half-Way Decent Wine Emporia in the East Village? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Any Half-Way Decent Wine Emporia in the East Village? (/thread-20013.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Auburnwine - 11-03-2003

I'll probably be in New York in early December. Does anyone know of any decent wine shops that don't have a "Closed: Gone to France" sign in the window?

No, I'm just kidding. I will be in NY and do hope to go by the famous "Is-Wine." Foodie, will you have returned by then? [Ah, I now see the answer to that on another posting!]

And do you know of any cheap (but pleasant) places to stay in the Big Apple? My wife will be attending a function at the U.N. and is letting me carry her luggage.

[This message has been edited by Auburnwine (edited 11-03-2003).]

- winoweenie - 11-03-2003

Is she a BIG tipper?ww

- wondersofwine - 11-03-2003

Cheap and pleasant in NYC don't always match. My last two visits I stayed at a Comfort Inn Midtown near the Jacob Javits Convention Center. Nothing to rave about but within walking distance of the theater district and pretty reasonably priced for NYC. One time they were hosting a number of visitors there for a hairstyling show. We had the Native American Fabio (made one appearance in the snack bar in loin cloth--well somewhat larger but topless--and Indian regalia). He did have nice hair (and nice abs). The hotel had a juice machine that was available to guests for orange juice at any hour of the day. And the people at the desk were pleasant and helpful.

- Thomas - 11-03-2003

As WOW said, cheap and pleasant is a hard combo in NYC. A truly outrageous but quite stimulating place is the Gershwin Hotel. It caters to the young, not so cash flush, crowd (almost like the hostels of Europe) but it can be a great fun experience for people who are flexible and a bit, well, crazy. The room prices are nice. I can't remember where it is--somewhere in the twenties streets, but it should be listed. I'll try to find it, and a few other jernts if you want? Let me know.

As for me being around--usually mid week I am around the store. i go to my place upstate every other weekend. When will you be in the city? I truly would like to meet you and yours.

- Innkeeper - 11-03-2003

There is a HoJo's on East Houston Street that has rooms for $81 per night. That is pretty good for New York. That is a short walk from Is-Wine.

- Thomas - 11-04-2003

I know exactly where that Hojo is--but didn't know it was that cheap. I recommend you look into it Auburnwine. Would you like me to make a call for you? Not that I have any pull, just a local phone number.

- Auburnwine - 11-04-2003

Ah, Ladies and Gentlemen, I do appreciate your ideas and suggestions. And we also like to eat well (again, pleading poverty), so any suggestions of trous préférés dans le mur (uh, "favorite holes-in-the-wall"?) would also be welcome.

Foodie, we will probably fly up on Friday, December 5 and return on Tuesday, December 9 -- so if you are off celebrating the weekend, I will look at that as an excuse for me to make another trip the big city. I do promise to drop by the shop, so if I miss your charming presence, be sure to leave a brief list of recommendations for me.

- Thomas - 11-04-2003

Good chance I will be in the store that weekend. The following weekend we celebrate our third anniversary at the store--I likely will hide then, as I have handled past anniversaries and this time I want my partner to do it...

Later, I'll post some restaurants for you.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-04-2003).]

Great, I will hope to see you then!

You'll know me because of my pirate patch and the ill-tempered monkey on my shoulder.

- Thomas - 11-04-2003

as long as you haven't a monkey on your back...

When in Rome ...!

And by "recommendations," my greatest priority will be to directed toward the treasures of a real, big city wine shop.

- winoweenie - 11-05-2003

3 Years!!!!??? Time sure flies whenced you be havin' fun. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 11-05-2003

Who said he was having fun? Notice he mentioned all the times he tried to be away from the shop.

- Thomas - 11-05-2003

KC, you are insightful.

Truth be told, I'd rather write about than sell wine, but one of those two occupations pays about as badly as Bucko's tips to waiters...

- Innkeeper - 11-05-2003

There are a plethora of holes in the wall on both sides of 2d Av from Houston up to 12th Street. Am sure you can find or Foodie can to lead you to some wonderful surprises.

- Kcwhippet - 11-05-2003

Foodie,

Since you like to write more, does that mean we'll see that draft on May 4?

- Botafogo - 11-05-2003

Foodie, I threw you a referral from our BIGGEST and nicest corporate account yesterday (Red Wagon Productions). Help them out and they will be 'berry, 'berry nice to you....

Roberto

- Thomas - 11-05-2003

Roberto, Jen placed a three-bottle order--a Gigondas--to be delivered. We are doing it tonight.

Thanks.

- Botafogo - 11-05-2003

Thomas, the main guy at that company was the VERY first customer I ever had in Retail wine (I knew him from Restaurant world), once they get to trust you they really trust you and they like to give BIG bottles. Thanks for helping her.

Roberto

PS: I just gave your info to another VERY good friend of ours, actor Robert Wisdom (Tall, built but very jovial African American guy with a very deep voice, you will recognize him from many films) as he will be filming a new movie with Julianne Moore in your hood in two weeks.

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 11-05-2003).]

- Thomas - 11-05-2003

Why can't you give my name to Julianne???

Thanks again.

Hey, I heard today that the mayor of New Orleans claimed in a speech that he was going to clean up corruption--now that's funny.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-05-2003).]