WineBoard
WHO ARE YOUR MODERATORS - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: WHO ARE YOUR MODERATORS (/thread-19983.html)

- Jerry D Mead - 01-09-1999

Jackie has appointed me Senior Moderator (whatever that means) and three other chaps (for now) will join me as fellow moderators. As webmistress (sounds kind of naughty, doesn't it?), Jackie will always have ultimate authority...it is her site, after all, and therefore her legal and moral responsibility. I'm assured that hers will be an always benevolent autocracy.

Oh! I am Jerry Mead...a wine journalist for more than 30 years. I will post a more complete bio and ask the other moderators to do the same.

The other three moderators will be Dr. Randy Buckner (aka Bucko), Jim Wallace and Robert Wood (aka woodman).

Buckner is a family physician, enthusiastic wine consumer/collector, weekly wine columnist and frequenter of many wine bulletin boards including AOL's and others.

Jim Wallace runs an Internet wine retail operation, is Chief Steward at the New World International Wine Competition and has done just about everything else, at one time or another, that there is to do in the wine trade.

Robert Wood is also an enthusiastic consumer/collector, major AOL wine board contributor and a behind-the-scenes planner of this board.

Moderators will eventually have the authority/ability to delete or edit messages. As a matter of policy, that ability will be rarely used other than for obvious libel, the grossest of language, or to put out the occasional flame war...we want this to stay a friendly place for one and all...for the most basic of beginning wine fanciers to the most serious and dedicated of oenophiles.

Check us out when our light bulb is lit...we may have something to say from time to time.

JDM aka The Wine Curmudgeon, who occasionally signs off TBC (to be continued),

- Jerry D Mead - 01-09-1999

MEAD'S BIO

Jerry D. Mead, Senior Moderator

Jerry D. Mead writes America's longest running syndicated wine column, Mead On Wine, now in its 32nd year of continuous syndication. Its author was named "Wine Writer of the Year" in 1985 by Wines & Vines magazine and the California Association of Winegrape Growers and received the prestigious "Perpetual Trophy for Excellence in Wine Writing."

In addition to writing the column, Mead is also editor-publisher of The Wine Trader magazine and founder of the wine appreciation organization Wine Investigation for Novices and Oenophiles (W.I.N.O.).

Over the years Mead's work has appeared in many publications nationally, including The Wine Spectator, Wine Entusiast, Wine World, International Wine Review, Wine & Spirits, Wines & Vines, Baltimore magazine, Phoenix magazine, Orange Coast magazine, Inland Empire magazine,Inland Empire Business Journal, Southern California magazine, This Month on the Monterey Peninsula and too many more to mention.

His regular syndication appears in publications in California, Nevada, Hawaii and Virginia and in the nationally circulated California Visitors Review. Individual articles have appeared in such newspapers as the Dallas Morning News, Chicago Tribune and the Baltimore Sun.

Mead was a founding director of the non-profit, educational organization American Wine Alliance for Research & Education (AWARE) and is a long time champion of the healthful benefits of moderate wine consumption. He is at the forefront of the battle against the currently fashionable, but totally misguided, neo-Prohibition movement.

A professional wine judge, Mead is one of a handful of such experts to have judged professionally on three continents as well as on the island nation of New Zealand. Also in the judging realm he was a founder of America's largest and most highly regarded judging of California wines, the Orange County Fair Commercial Wine Competition where he served as chairman and chief judge for 16 years. Mead is also founder of the New World International Wine Competition.

A frequent speaker on a wide variety of topics and issues, he has been an advisor to the California Senate Select Committee on Wine and his views have been presented to the National Conference of State Legislators. His writing has been reprinted in the Congressional Record and as a major proponent of the First Amendment rights of wine and other commercial products Mead is proud to be known as "The Wine Curmudgeon."

In his spare time Mead visits the wineries and vineyards of the world and occasionally enjoys a glass of nature's most perfect beverage.

- Roberta - 01-09-1999

Bucko and WOOD??? No way are they close to my definition of moderate. I guess that means the rest of us will LOOK moderate next to them. Works for me.

We're havin' some fun now.

- Bucko - 01-09-1999

Now how do I delete this message of Broom Hilda's muddied mind? }:>

Bucko

- Bucko - 01-09-1999

Bucko's Bio

Randy Buckner is a Family Practice Physician and proponent of sensible, moderate consumption of wine for pleasure and health. He actively opposes wine laws that go against scientific evidence.

A collector/consumer of fine wine for 16 years, his collection reflects his preferences, CA Cab, Southern Rhone, especially CdP, Alsatian wines, especially Gewurztraminer, Loire Whites, CA & OR Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, and German Rieslings.

A professional wine judge, Buckner evaluates wines annually at the New World International Wine Competition. He also writes a weekly wine column, "The Grape," for the Tacoma City Paper.

In his spare time he enjoys wine touring, wine dinners with friends, scuba diving in the South Pacific, Salmon fishing, skeet shooting and gourmet cooking. His door is always open for fellow enophiles - give him a call if you are in town.

- Woodman - 01-09-1999

Seems Jerry and Bucko want to do their bios in the third person. That's OK with me, but I'll do mine in the first if no one minds.

First off, let me say that I was flattered and honored when Jerry asked me to do this. I don't know what the responsibilities are exactly, but I suppose we'll find out.

At the moment, I'm underemployed, which is code for "trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my childhood". I'm trying desperately to figure out a way to make money at wine in some fashion, but it seems all anyone can do is lose money at wine [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img].

I've been drinking and tasting wine for 28 years off and on, ever since the days four of us started a group that eventually (after my wife and I were ousted) metamorphosized into the group that now is responsible for the California Grapevine. In fits and starts, I've gone from fine wine (oh, how I remember the Spring Mountain Lot 68-69) to plonk (anything from Trader Joe's was A-OK) and back to semi-fine wine again. Let's just hope there is not another downturn in my fortunes.

My collection has grown rapidly in the past year or so, and I'm constantly changing my horizons. At one time, almost everything I owned was zinfandel. That now takes a back seat to cabernet and Oregon pinot noir, with syrah making a run at zinfandel for third place. Recently with the encouragement of the well-known and well-regarded Burg hound, I've been dabbling in Burgundy. Today (1/9/99) I actually purchased two (gasp!) bottles of Italian wine in the same day.

I'm blessed to have a wife (the infamous "Roger") and friends who put up with me. I enjoy cooking, fishing (mostly offshore for tuna in Southern California) and golf along with wine. I'm about a 6-handicap cook, a 4-handicap fisherman and anywhere from a 6 to a 20 handicap golfer, depending on the day.

I look forward to meeting many of you in person if you're ever in Portland -- which is not high on anyone's resort destination list, but pretty just the same.

- Jerry D Mead - 01-10-1999

Bob...The 68-69 Spring Mountain was one of the best California Cabs ever made...at least at the time, and was one of my early discoveries for my readers...I know a guy who I think still has a case of the stuff!

JDM

- Woodman - 01-10-1999

<<Bucko and WOOD??? No way are they close to my definition of moderate. >>

Exactly! Bucko's a redneck and I'm a tree-hugger. Moderate is not in the conversation. Now, if Jackie would just let me use my moderator's powers, I coulda deleted this Boomdrivel.

Damn, where is Goldwyn when you REALLY need something to delete?

- Wallace - 01-11-1999

Wallace's Bio

My background includes many years working in the vineyards and cellars of Sonoma County wineries which grew into more than 20 years of Wine Sales/Marketing management experiences with wineries and wholesale distributors. For the past five years I have been engaged in managing a winestore on the Internet (www.awinestore.com). In my spare time I am attempting to plant pinot noir on 80 acres in northern Arizona. Ho-boy

I was also a significant part of the Sonoma Harvest Fair wine competition during its first 11 years as Rich Thomas' assistant, and the Dallas Morning News National Wine Competition during its first five years as a co-founder, and man behind the scenes, along with Becky Murphy. I helped found the Alameda County Fair Wine competition and I currently consult to The Mendocino County Fair Wine Competition. As the Curmudgeon mentions above I am chief wine steward for the New World International Wine Competition. Ironically I was hosting the first nationwide wine bulletin board system that prompted Craig Goldwyn to ask if I would care to present it to AOL in their early years. Additionally, I co-sponsored, along with Craig Goldwyn, the very first wine competition which brought wines from outside California to compete with California wines: The West Coast Wine Competition.

Chuck Chapman and I developed and were the first instructors of the Wine Marketing course offered by Santa Rosa Community College. I have moderated panels on wine sales and marketing at Hastings School of Law, San Francisco State, Palm Springs City College, the American Wine Expo in Dallas, the Wineries Unlimited Seminar and Trade Show in New York, The Society of Wine Educators at U.C. Davis and numerous civic organizations.

But mostly I lurk.

[This message has been edited by Wallace (edited 01-11-99).]

[This message has been edited by Wallace (edited 01-11-99).]

- Karena Shannon - 01-12-1999

Sorry, wrong sub-folder. Message lies in Topic: "Thanks and who pays the bills?"

[This message has been edited by Karena Shannon (edited 01-11-99).]

- Tinka - 02-17-1999

Bucko- my uncle(an anaesthetist)always said you can best tell an alcoholic if he drinks more than his doctor(!) and so, it is in good faith that I look forward to your good advice! I'm new to wine appreciation and can't wait to get going!

- Bucko - 02-17-1999

Your uncle is wise!! ;-)

Cheers,

Bucko

- RickBin389 - 03-05-1999

This board is turning out to be an incredible resource, I will tell eveyone with an sincere appreciation for wine about the talent pool asigned here.....A question for the moderators , this may be out of line - but - nothing ventured, nothing gained... can I send you (fax you,etc.) a copy of my wine list & menu for a brutally honest critique???....I am not an award guy - I believe you are only as good as you wake up - so, I would not market in any way a response - this would be simply for my own knowledge. Any help would be appreciated..
Rick

[This message has been edited by RickBin389 (edited 03-05-99).]

- Jerry D Mead - 03-05-1999

I, for one, would very much enjoy having a look at your list...I'll send you a personal e-mail with my address and fax.

And maybe some of our "unofficial moderators" would like to have a look as well?? Or maybe I shouldn't open that can of worms?

JDM

P.S. It would be informative to know what kind of restaurant your's is...ethnic? White table cloth? Tuxedoed waiters or guys in Bermuda shorts? That kind of thing, because all wine lists should be appropriate to the cuisine and style of the restaurant.

In fact, maybe you should move this to the Rants & Raves folder and start a discussion on just what a wine list should have...and you can always get some controversy by bringing up mark-ups.

JDM

Oh! I forgot to thank you for the nice comments about our being a great resource!

JDM

- RickBin389 - 03-05-1999

Thank you for your generosity W.C. - I will certainly take you up on your offer...My restaurant is a white table cloth regional American - a la carte entree's between 18 - 30 dollars, avg. about $22. "smart casual " is our attire buzzword. We have a piano bar upstairs with a late night appetizer/dessert menu - cigars, etc....we are located in a historical 2 story building dating to 1925 - in the theater & arts district. This is incredibly generous of you...If ever in Sarasota, allow me to have you over for dinner.
Rick