WineBoard
Forget to mention....... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Forget to mention....... (/thread-19922.html)

- Kcwhippet - 06-24-2007

Off to Phoenix and Seattle - RIGHT NOW!!! Be back 4 July. May sign in sometime.

- winoweenie - 06-24-2007

Good Gravy Gertie. Was That This Week-end????? The memory's the 2nd thing to go. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 06-24-2007

Hims, the lovely Judy, and nice friend Don done arrived. Thot it would only be neighborly to take them some libations to quench their thirst. WW

- Bucko - 06-25-2007

I hope you treat them better than you did me, that's all I can say...

- winoweenie - 06-25-2007

I treat all impaired people the same. Don't tell me you didn't like your stable? WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 07-04-2007

WE'RE BACK!! We had a great time visiting with Verne and Connie, and if I can figure out how to do it, I'll put up some pictures of the lovely couple. Like the others, I didn't take any real notes, so I'll say up front that all the wines we had were fabulous.

So, Don and I made it into Phoenix Sky Harbor from Boston and went over to Terminal 4 from Terminal 3 to pick up Judy, who was coming in on another airline from Las Vegas. Don wanted to walk over with our luggage, and the dispatcher out front got a big laugh out of that. It was about 110 with no wind, and the distance was not insignificant, so I got my way and we took the Terminal Shuttle that's there for just that purpose. After we had a bit of lunch (no wine), we met Judy's plane, got the rental and trekked up to the hotel (more on this later). After we had checked into one of the rooms (the other wasn't ready yet), I got a call from WW who asked which room we were in, so I told him. In about 2 minutes he showed up at the room with the key for the other room, as well as two bottles of wine - the 1994 Arrowood and 1994 Santa Cruz Mtn. Vyd he mentioned in his post. It's important to note here that I won't be mentioning any wine varieties because everything WW opened was a Cab Sav or a Meritage type. That was a wonderfully hospitable way to be welcomed to Phoenix and WW didn't stint at all the rest of our time there. Had dinner at the resort that evening and it was very good. Millenium Resort has everything you'd want, almost all inclusive, good food and drink, pool, spa, free bikes to ride around Scottsdale, golf course, gym, and more. We'd stay there again.

Woke up somewhat early the next day, and went down to breakfast about 9. Don had already taken about a 4 mile walk in bright, sunny 90 degree heat. He wanted me to come with him, but I figured for me to be comfortable in that weather, I'd have to go out about 3 am. Then we went off looking for a bead shop Judy could get some good Southwest stuff from. She's into beading and makes a lot of jewelry and other things that she mostly gives away as gifts. She works in spurts - she'll make a ton of stuff in a few weeks, then won't do any for a bunch more weeks. Finally we worked our way over to Sportsman's Fine Wine and Spirits to meet WW and the gang. It was a real pleasure meeting Board members BigRedWines, Cork Dork, as well as their wives - Debbie and Barb, and finally, we got to meet CB!!! What a great group of folks! We had a great lunch with them and I'd party with them anytime. Oh yeah, the food and wine was pretty good, too (acually very good). Besides being a wine shop, Sportsman's is also a gourmet deli type place that's serves a fabulous lunch. If any of you folks get to the Phoenix area, make sure you visit them at Camelback and 32nd. WW added to the meal with some great wines, all in magnum - 1997 White Rock Claret, 1997 Ch Montelena and 1997 Insignia. Luscious, and again no notes, but I really liked the White Rock. Of course I liked the others, too, but I'd never had a White Rock before and I think I need to fix that omission in the cellar. It was a long lunch, but not long enough with such engaging company. We didn't want to dilute the memory, so later that evening we went to a local steak house, gorged on dead cow and had lots of BEER.

Next day we finally got our chance to get over to WW and CB's home, and it's a wonderful place - Connie's done a fantastic decorating job. On top of that, they put a trmendous spread for us, with cheeses, meats, etc. I could eat like that all the time. Of course, WW had a bunch of wines out, and, of course he didn't hold anything back. He already mentioned the wines, but I'll do it again. Over the course of the afternoon he opened 1992 Kenwood Artist Series, 1992 Dalle Valle, 1995 Flora Springs Trilogy, 1997 Trilogy, 1994 Ferrari-Carano and 1996 Ch. St. Jean Cinq Cepages (named as "Wine of the Year" by WS in 1999). We visited WW's cellar and I'll tell you the contents are trully impressive. If he's willing, I could upload a picture or two I took in there. Well, there were six bottles drained by the four of us (CB was doing her SW), and strangely we didn't feel at all like we'd had that much - except that Don, who was acting as navigator, took us on a few slightly wrong turns and we ended up at a sewage treatment facility. We eventually made it back to the resortsafely, and later that evening we went out for dinner at Zipp's up near the resort - and had beer.

Next day we were off to Seattle (actually Gig Harbor) for our friends' son's Bar Mitzvah. We had a wonderful time, though not much wonderful wine. Had a nice WA Syrah from Syncline. It was the Columbia Valley version and the bottle was closed with a glass cork. Very unusual, but apparently very effective. Don and I also visited a local winery over on Home, WA - Trillium Creek Winery. It was a cute place, and they were nice folks. The wines weren't spectacular, but were serviceable - mainly those made from fruit purchased from vineyards at Horse Heaven Hills.

We met up with CCK and her honey at Anthony's in Des Moines (WA, not IA) on our way back to the airport for a red eye back home. They had just landed at Sea-Tac from Belgium. It was great seeing her again and shell be posting soon with some suggestions for the next offline. So, we took the red eye back home and got in finally about 2 pm yesterday. I've been in a fog since, and have to work the shop tonight.

It was a great trip and we tremendously enjoyed meeting everyone in Phoenix - I'd like to that again. I'm glad we got to meet up with CCK, and finally meet Garry.

- dananne - 07-04-2007

Welcome back! It sounds like you had a great time, and we're envious that you had the opportunity to see WW and CCK again. We also look forward to any and all pics [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 07-04-2007

Was fun having the lovely Judy, Don, and .......you too bubba. You know there's something important going on when you get visitors in Phoenix in June, July, and August. They're derned sure not there just to visit you. The other 9 months are understandable. Glad you enjoyed it and look forward to seeing you again. BPR, WW

- wondersofwine - 07-05-2007

One of the wine experts at the event I attended in DC said that some German wineries are using the glass topper now (something like a decanter top) and that it gives an elegant look to the wine.

Thanks for your notes KC. I'm envious of your trip.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 07-05-2007).]

- TheEngineer - 07-07-2007

Sounded like a blast!!!