WineBoard
tinned wineglass - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Talk With Your Moderators (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: tinned wineglass (/thread-19908.html)

- moliere - 10-06-2000

Do tinned wine glasses change the taste of the red wine? Is there a chemical reaction that could altered the quality of the wine?
Thank you very much.

- Bucko - 10-06-2000

Your post was moved to this forum. Tech tips for for technical info about the forum itself.

I doubt that any container would effect wine unless in stood in the container for a prolonged period, e.g. the flap over leaded glass.

Bucko

- mrdutton - 10-06-2000

A goblet that is tinned is a different story though.......

Any acid in the wine would react with the metal to produce a salt. The resulting salt would/could have an affect on the taste of the wine.

In cooking, we always must be careful to not place high acid foods in reactive containers. Because the acid will certainly react and can have disastrous results. The food ends up tasting mettallic and just plain yucky.......

Besides, tinned goblets are not really very good for drinking much of anything as too much tin is just not a good idea. If the container is silver or gold lined, then that is a better situation as these metals are not as chemically reactive as tin.

Glass and crystal are the best containers, IMHO. I have been drinking from leaded crystal for years and years and years.

I am a war baby, I was born before anyone ever heard of OSHA and I am still healthy in spite of all the nasty things to which I've been exposed and ingested.

- winoweenie - 10-06-2000

Bucks, Is his question about leaded wine glasses or Tin wine glasses? If it`s Tin I`d have to sat throw them suckers in the trash and use a used McDonalds paper coffe cup. winoweenie Sorry MrD but we seemed to trample each others post. Bye-the Bye welcome to the board.

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 10-06-2000).]

- Bucko - 10-06-2000

The point that I am trying to make, MrD, is for short term drinking over dinner, does wine have time to react with tin or any other metal? I don't have the answer, but it seems logical that it takes time for a reaction to occur.

Bucko

- winoweenie - 10-07-2000

Bucko, Seems to me during one of my lucid moments that I read somewhere that doing some research on some early Roman remains, they ( the Doctors )found a terribly high concentration of lead in the bodies that was probably from their wine jugs and also contributed to their early demise. winoweenie

- Thomas - 10-07-2000

Bucko, I think the tin and wine would react rather quickly, or say, over an hour. Tin is good for ceilings; not a good idea for serving food.

- mrdutton - 10-07-2000

Yes there is an immediate reaction whenever you combine an acid with a reactive metal. The "speed of reaction" is dependant upon the strength of the acid and the reactivity of the metal. This also has an affect on the amount of "salt" (by-product to the reaction) that is produced from the reaction. "Salt" is the combination of a metal and a non-metal; I do not mean table salt in this instance. The resultant salt can be hazardous if consumed.

Tin is grouped with the following metals:

Aluminum
Gallium
Indium
Tin
Thallium
Lead
Bismuth

Tin is a reactive metal. Gold and Silver are still reactive, but much lower on the scale. That is why those metals are used for, amongst other things, jewelry and linings in goblets. Gold is less reactive than silver.

High quality Stainless Steel is also low on the reactive list.

Glass, which is not a metal, is in most cases very low on the reactive list. (For those who care, glass is a liquid.)

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 10-07-2000).]

- Bucko - 10-07-2000

Thanks for all of the input. I guess that I'll have to keep drinking out of my Platinum goblets. <cough> Someone give WW another glass of wine and end his lucid period already.....

Bucko

- winoweenie - 10-07-2000

Sure , bluckie, Ignore one of my answers with important implees , whatever. WW